Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
RV Insurance

Does anyone have Nationwide Insurance on your MH? I just got a quote from them and it is considerably less than my present company, Progressive. I ask for the same coverage and even told them what it is. Has anyone had a claim and how we're you treated?

Blevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
I had Nationwide for my car insurance for many years. I dropped them because my premium kept going up with a clean driving record, good credit, and no changes in the local crime data. Went with Geico and have had great prices and service. We have an 2003 Chateau with full coverage and roadside service (which we used on the old coach with great success) and only pay $320 per year (multi-vehicle discount). The only item we don't have on the policy is full replacement cost of MH. If my MH was expensive I would probably have that. I can afford to make up the difference on what they would pay me vs cost to replace. I save the money for those emergencies that aren't covered.

A while back I shopped for different insurance and was appalled at what differences I was given. I was very specific on what I wanted and how I wanted it to compare with different companies. I even went as far to explain that I was getting multiple quotes. I had numerous quotes that came back entirely different and told them as much. Insurance is a huge business. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples and that your rate won't go up in 6 months and if you have a claim they won't raise your rates or drop you.

My feeling is if it is too good to be true it may be.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
There was a recent thread on this subject you may want to look at doing a search.

That being said, we have National Interstate thru Gilbert Insurance in Fl. We have paid 800 per year for two years. Just received our renewal notice with over a 12 percent increase to 900+. And this seems to be the norm from what I've read. Our policy includes a preagreed upon value.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Blevin,
I have had Nationwide Insurance, for the coach, for many years. I have yet to find any company to come close to the rates they charge. The company you'll be insured with is really Depositors Insurance Company. Depositors is a company owned by Nationwide. I've never had a claim.

I purchase my insurance through a broker. Their name is Farm & City Insurance. Go to http://www.fcisinsurance.com/rv-insurance.html and check them out.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Blevin, I went through the Good Sam which brought me up to Allied Insurance which is a nationwide Company. I saved a lot through them and even moved my regular vehicles to them. If you are a good sam's member check it out or just call Allied 1-800-282-1446.

Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
We are with Nationwide through Allied and have no issues, yet. Will need to compare apples with apples when shopping and Allied still came out on top.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
Blevin, I went through the Good Sam which brought me up to Allied Insurance which is a nationwide Company. I saved a lot through them and even moved my regular vehicles to them. If you are a good sam's member check it out or just call Allied 1-800-282-1446.

Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Interesting; I requested a quote through Good Sam and was sent a quote from GMAC insurance which was higher than my Progressive policy through USAA.

2002 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th wheel, 2002 Dodge 3500 dually Cummins
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post

Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Being retired USMC I assume you had USAA before. Why did you switch from them ?
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have National Interstate through RV America RV America Insurance | Motorhome Rates & Quotes Online, with an annual premium of $730. We're in our 2nd year and had no increase in premiums from the first year.

We have replacement coverage for our initial purchase price, glass coverage, coverage for our car trailer with a $250 deductible.

I've been reviewing all our our insurance policies the past few weeks as we just got a home renewal policy (8th year) that is a 46% increase over last year. We've never had a claim and this years rate represents a 118% increase over our first policy year!

We insure our car (business) and home with the same company, but are leaning towards moving to State Farm for the home, car and umbrella policy that will be about $300 year less than just the home and car with our current provider.

In my recent searches, National Interstate is still the best coverage and value for the motorhome. The State Farm quote came in nearly a couple hundred higher - with the home and car discount - does not include replacement value coverage, and offers no vacation liability coverage.

With all our upcoming insurance changes, it looks like we'll be keeping National Interstate for our motorhome
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
We've been with Progressive for 3yrs. and our premium($592 per yr.) hasn't gone up...YET. We have the tow option that really came in handy when we needed a tow from Destruction Bay, Yukon to Whitehorse last summer. Have no idea what the cost was but I know it wasn't cheap. Technically it wasn't a tow, I requested a flatbed and they agreed without batting am eye. We also needed a tow this past Nov. on a fri. evening while traveling I-10 in the panhandle of Fl. The person I talked with wanted to have me towed to some garage that was 15mi. away. I said no way I wanted it taken to an authorized Spartan Chassis mechanic in Ft. Walton Beach,Fl. which was 50mi. Said he couldn't authorize that and that I would have to pay the tow. I told him fine I'll pay it. Well to shorten this story, out of the blue I recieved a call tue. from Progressive that said a mistake had been made and that I would be reimbursed the full amount of the tow $1,087. I expect my next premium might go up, but with service like that I believe I'll stay with them.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
I have Geico insurance. I am switching to State Farm. Progressive and geico give the blue book value if there is a total loss.
Allstate and State Farm give retail value. I don't know about Nationwide. I'd ask them.
State Farm quoted me $1200 less a year then I am paying now for my MH and 3 cars. And better full coverage.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam sell's GMAC which is National Alliance Insurance Co.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We have Nationwide, but have never made a claim. A salesman at a large RV dealer to me to call Gilbert Ins. Agency which sells it. They have the best price, compared to GEICO and GMAC, and I was told that they have a disappearing deductible. I was careful to compare coverages the same.
I called USAA, but they don't sell RV insurance, and referred me instead to Progressive Insurance. But, I don't care for their progressive politics, so I didn't call them.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What if you have an older MH(mine is a 1996)-I think Good Sam and our insurance--Farm Bureau-only insures 1997 and newer. I could be wrong, does anyone know. We have liability of course, but was wanting collision. Any advice would be appreciated---Vince

vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote