Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02
I just dropped Blue Sky because of an exclusion for parking within 1500 of an tidal or named body of water.
Is that 1500 inches, feet, meters, or miles?

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
I just dropped Blue Sky because of an exclusion for parking within 1500 of an tidal or named body of water.
Can you please quote where the policy says that? I just read my entire policy document and all the endorsements and I can see no mention of that restriction.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
I had Progressive a number of years and they were always cheaper when I checked with other companies. The last couple of years and especially this year, my rates rose dramatically. No accidents or large claims so I was very puzzled. Because of other comments on IRV2 and the fact I am an AARP member, I got a quote from them (Hartford) for the MH and autos. Their quote was much, much less than my Progressive renewal rate and the rates quoted from others. I also decided to go with $1,000.00 deductibles which made the rates even lower.
I spent an HOUR on the phone with Hartford after being referred to them by AARP. They asked me everything about every auto claim that I have had going back five years (and just about everything else outside of my underwear size) only to have them tell me at the last moment that their underwriting turned me down because of the initial MSRP of the coach. They didn't care that the current cost of the coach was one third of that amount - very disappointing!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
National just took over GMAC for Goodsam.
The notices I got said they were changing their name only but is the same company.
See post #10 for the actual quote direct from the company.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #33

I received the same notice several weeks ago. I did have GMAC on three of my vehicles and my agent rewrote my policy w a different company because Nationals auto rates went up where I live. Or she rewrote to make commission, hmmmmm.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macraekw View Post
I spent an HOUR on the phone with Hartford after being referred to them by AARP. They asked me everything about every auto claim that I have had going back five years (and just about everything else outside of my underwear size) only to have them tell me at the last moment that their underwriting turned me down because of the initial MSRP of the coach. They didn't care that the current cost of the coach was one third of that amount - very disappointing!
Very puzzling......I did not have anything like that;however, I had hit a deer and they had access to that info which caused my premium to be higher but still not as high as my new rates from the previous company I was with.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I received the same notice several weeks ago. I did have GMAC on three of my vehicles and my agent rewrote my policy w a different company because Nationals auto rates went up where I live. Or she rewrote to make commission, hmmmmm.
Most insurance companies will rate zip codes or raise rates in the entire State due to risk assessment. They do this time to time, some without reason just to increase profits.

I had a policy for our class A coach in 15 minutes with GEICO, no hassle. Each person's experience will differ due to credit and driving history. GEICO policy was under $400 per year with max coverage and high deductibles.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
Most insurance companies will rate zip codes or raise rates in the entire State due to risk assessment. They do this time to time, some without reason just to increase profits. I had a policy for our class A coach in 15 minutes with GEICO, no hassle. Each person's experience will differ due to credit and driving history. GEICO policy was under $400 per year with max coverage and high deductibles.
We also have all of our cars and Entegra with Geico. Difficult to push ACV due to value over $200000 but ratesweredecent. Of course you want to include trip and valuables just like it was a mobile home. Our deductibles are$250 on cars and $1000 on MH.
They were cheaper than Progressive and State Farm .
Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #37

I'm with Progressive. $633.00 for the year. All my vehicles are with the same company and, so far they have been great.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiver70 View Post
I'm with Progressive. $633.00 for the year. All my vehicles are with the same company and, so far they have been great.
Welcome to irv2. How long have you had them? Have you had any claims?

The cost of insurance has many facets. Size, type, value, driving record, accident record... And the list goes on. We have GMAC, now National, through Good Sam. We had a blowout on our last rig that did around $17,000 to the front right of the coach. Within a few days my wife damaged the door on the car backing out of a tight spot. When our bill came due GMAC had become National and our bill is now over $3000 a year.

Another thing to consider is how the claims are handled. If you have towing included are the phone staff trained to understand that if you call for a hook Joe's ramp service won't help for your 30,000# rig? And how about a tire change?

When the coach tire broke the Good Sam folks were great. Towing is, or was, separate. I have not followed up on who does our towing service now.

Another consideration is insurance for your glass. I am insured out of SD. Glass is not covered by my policy. I am hunting an insurance company for my glass but have not found one yet.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #39

Smile Coach insurance

QUOTE=jerichorick;1769702]Welcome to irv2. How long have you had them? Have you had any claims?

The cost of insurance has many facets. Size, type, value, driving record, accident record... And the list goes on. We have GMAC, now National, through Good Sam. We had a blowout on our last rig that did around $17,000 to the front right of the coach. Within a few days my wife damaged the door on the car backing out of a tight spot. When our bill came due GMAC had become National and our bill is now over $3000 a year.

Another thing to consider is how the claims are handled. If you have towing included are the phone staff trained to understand that if you call for a hook Joe's ramp service won't help for your 30,000# rig? And how about a tire change?

When the coach tire broke the Good Sam folks were great. Towing is, or was, separate. I have not followed up on who does our towing service now.

Another consideration is insurance for your glass. I am insured out of SD. Glass is not covered by my policy. I am hunting an insurance company for my glass but have not found one yet.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeri;
Well, I have been with Progressive for 3 years now ever since I came to Florida and found out that Farmers Group didn't cover anything in FL. This is the second coach that I have had with them. I must say that, so far, i have not had to file a claim with them. I would expect that they would increase my premium if I do . . . dirty buggers . . . but so far so good. I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and a three year extended waranty for mechanical and whatever problems.

My first coach was a 30' Itasca Spirit, 1991. It was a pretty good rig but no storage. My insurance on it was half what it is on my unit now. I have a 2002 Georgetown 325 with only 21000 miles on it. I really like it so far. I don't know what else to tell you. If you have more questions let me know.

Reddiver 70
2003 Georgetown 325 V10 Triton
Hyundai Sonata on a dolly
Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macraekw View Post
I had the same exact thing happen to me with GEICO on a 06 Travel Supreme Select. I tried GEICO on the dealer's recommendation after getting quotes through Good Sam's and Progressive that were $3400. I got a quote today from PPL for a 07 MADP of $2700. They are a National Interstate broker as well as several others. I have no tickets and no claims and I am going with $1K deductible. I am getting very frustrated.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I had the same exact thing happen to me with GEICO on a 06 Travel Supreme Select. I tried GEICO on the dealer's recommendation after getting quotes through Good Sam's and Progressive that were $3400. I got a quote today from PPL for a 07 MADP of $2700. They are a National Interstate broker as well as several others. I have no tickets and no claims and I am going with $1K deductible. I am getting very frustrated.
We just had a windshield claim through Geico on our last trip. Luckily it was only a rock and the damage was the size of a quarter, but it came at us like a bullet.
There was no deductible but anything else would have been 1K as Scotty said.
That's a ridiculous number!
Safe lite on the other hand is amazing. They sent a tech to the MH resort the next day to repair the hole and all I had to do was sign my name.
These companies make a lot of money on RV insurance.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had quote from geico was 1800, progressive 2700 , called blue sky 581.

Tags
insurance