Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Insurance

I am sure there has been a thread on this subject before but I am having difficulty in finding recent recommendations for RV insurance. I currently own a 2014 Fleetwood Expedition and want to explore options for insurance. We travel as much as possible but I am still working until Feb 2016 when I retire (hopefully).
Can any members recommend what they have found and are happy with regarding RV insurance for part timers on the road? I recently got my bill from Progressive for renewal and would like to compare prices. We live in Northern Virginia. If storage is a factor I will have it stored at my home indoors within the next two months.

Thank you in advance to all who can help with suggestions!
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

It's hard if not impossible to compare insurance between people. It has to do with location, past driving record, credit rating and what ever else the insurance company can come up with. That being said, we have had, GMAC, Blue Sky, Progressive and now we have Allied. Every year about a month before our insurance comes due we start checking to see what insurance company provides the best coverage and price. It seems like we shouldn't have to do that, but it is just the way it is.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

Rich, we had the same questions. Was insured with Allstate for 33 years with no claims, perfect driving record and credit yet my premiums went up every renewal period. We switched to USAA, and I was not happy they forced me into Progressive for the Motorhome due to umbrella policy. However, we did come out with an overall savings between cars and rental policy, so I figured as long as we stay ahead in our plus column I can eat the premium increase on Motorhome.
BTW, we are about 120 miles south of you.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have Progressive for all 3 vehicles. When we moved the policy from MI to CA our cost on the MH went down about half while the cost for the bike went up about double. Same policy stuff just a different state. There are so many variables that you should call around and ask the same questions of all the companies to get the correct answer for you.

Oh yea, you should probably ask each company what they consider part time or full time RV use. You may be surprised at the different answers you get.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
It's hard if not impossible to compare insurance between people. It has to do with location, past driving record, credit rating and what ever else the insurance company can come up with. That being said, we have had, GMAC, Blue Sky, Progressive and now we have Allied. Every year about a month before our insurance comes due we start checking to see what insurance company provides the best coverage and price. It seems like we shouldn't have to do that, but it is just the way it is.

In the last 7 years I have moved to 4 different states. In each one I changed insurance carries because my great deal in CA was a bad deal in WA. Either do the leg work yourself or get a independent agent which will shop 10 or 20 different companies for you. Currently I use Blue Sky for both RV and auto but we shop every year.

As a side-note I have shopped progressive for decades and they are usually one of the, if not most expensive out there. I must pick zip codes they hate or have too high of a credit rating for them because lots of people seem to use them.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

We're from So. Md. and have had Progressive for the 4 1/2yrs. we've been on the road. The only claims we've used is the towing. I will say they are great when it comes to that. For us it was only an additional $24 a year. Our overall premium actually went down this year.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #7

Don't count AARP/Hartford out. They gave me a pleasant surprise when I called them!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

Check Costco if your a member........They have Auto/Home/RV/Boat etc insurance
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

We have had Overland insurance as our agent for the last three years and are quite pleased with rate, coverage, service, and accessability.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone ever had FMCA RV insurance?
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My agent was out of the office and her assistant quoted me a price on progressive even though I told her I wanted Safeco which is where my cars and home is. When the agent got back I pitched a small fit about the assistant not quoting what I asked. The agent told me they usually recommend progressive because they are the cheapest. When the agent looked up a quote on Safeco it was almost 50 per cent of the cost of progressive. The agent was pretty shocked. Also I pay 150.00 a year and get a rider that replaces any glass in any of my vehicles without a deductible.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all Insurance Companies offer coverage for Full Timers. Full Timer Coverage is a little more expensive so shop around.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
I am sure there has been a thread on this subject before but I am having difficulty in finding recent recommendations for RV insurance. I currently own a 2014 Fleetwood Expedition and want to explore options for insurance. We travel as much as possible but I am still working until Feb 2016 when I retire (hopefully).
Can any members recommend what they have found and are happy with regarding RV insurance for part timers on the road? I recently got my bill from Progressive for renewal and would like to compare prices. We live in Northern Virginia. If storage is a factor I will have it stored at my home indoors within the next two months.

Thank you in advance to all who can help with suggestions!
You might also check out the Good Sam insurance. It is underwritten by National General Assurance which I think used to be GMAC. They have an option for storage where you only pay for theft, casualty, etc. When you're ready to go on the road, you call them up and activate the liability and collision. When you put it back in storage, another call deactivates the on-road coverage. Since we use ours about 3 months out of the year, it saves me about $300 per year.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #14

My insurance just came up for renewal. I had Good Sam and FMCA quote. Neither came close to my current insurance thru AARP/Hartford. They have a specific endorsement for Motorhome coverage which covers the things that are different from a car, also includes towing and roadside assistance for the motorhome at no additional charge. Not only is the price good, the customer service is top notch. You will get the best price from any carrier if they also insure your home, and other vehicles.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance