Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV insurance

In search of new insurance company, changing our motorhome insurance from Hartfort to one that also covers RVs registered under a LLC. We are very happy with Hartfort except they do not insure LLC registered motorhomes.
So far I have quotes from Blue Sky (offering progressive), Geico, Safeco, Allsate, and National General.
With all coverage pretty much the same Safeco is the lowest and progressive the highest premium. Allsate and National Gen are in the middle.
I just don't want to jump the gun and go with the lowest premium without knowing whole a lot about them.
I appreciate any feed back I can get.

Thanks
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

We have Progressive through USAA and have always thought their rates were reasonable. Summer before last a sudden thunderstorm in Mesa Verde, ripped the awning off our motorhome. Progressive was great to work with, the adjuster studied the roller tube for nearly five minutes before declaring it was bent enough to have it replaced. I thought our rates might go up this year because of the claim, but to my surprise they went down by $100. Sometimes paying a little more has its benefits, just hope I never have to deal with anything more than a destroyed awning to find out how far that goodwill goes. Hope this helps.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a new MH. Got Progressive for this first year and their re-up was 500-700 higher. Just got quotes and am moving to Safeco. Basically same insurance, but $1,000 cheaper.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

First year with Progressive and no claims yet. From what I've read they like to lowball the first year then start increasing each year so I will probably get on the merry go round of pricing around every year.
Good luck

Pointrow
Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our MH is with Safeco.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been insured with National Interstate for 7 years. They're good with claims and have only had a modest rate increase.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:50 AM   #7

Try a Broker. National Interstate is getting out of the RV Insurance game by the end of the year
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Safeco in Texas does not cover awnings and other items. Basically car insurance not motor home ins, as well roadside assistance has sever limitations. I am an agent and have progressive.
Johnhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm about to renew my policy as well. Right now I have Progressive through USAA and just got quotes through FMCA from SAFECO - $1365, Progressing - $2358, Allied - $1526, National General - $1656. Seems like a huge difference so how can I tell what's covered and what's not?
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive $3600/yr, GEICO $1050/yr -- same coverage, deductables.

Rates vary from State to State, claim and traffic history, credit score, so its pretty much impossible to compare apples to apples on this Forum.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3811 View Post
I'm about to renew my policy as well. Right now I have Progressive through USAA and just got quotes through FMCA from SAFECO - $1365, Progressing - $2358, Allied - $1526, National General - $1656. Seems like a huge difference so how can I tell what's covered and what's not?
Read the proposed policies .
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have National General. Excellent response when a windstorm ripped our awning off 5 years ago. They suspend collision and liability when I put the Bounder in storage saving about $50.00 a month.
Taipan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
thanks everyone for your inputs, I am going with Safeco. Like my friend from Amfam said, I can drive myself crazy trying to figure out the insurance companies
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Progressive Agent and had him explain the differences between their quote of $2600 ($500 more than last year) vs a new quote from SAFECO for $1365. He didn't try to defend their policy and just worked with me, which was nice. The policies were not identical and when we got the Progressive policy to more closely match SAFECO's they were within $300. He even got me a refund for this year's premium because we changed the coverage to match SAFECO's. I've got Progressive through USAA and I don't know if that impacts my annual USAA rebate or not. I think the bottom line is just make sure you know what your policy covers and what the costs are, go from there.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance