Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Call "Good Sams" / National General for a rate quote.

They have a "storage" option for your RV and your cars.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:32 PM   #16

Try AAA. We added our Motohome to our present auto policy and it added an additional 800.00 a year.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:46 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We pay $932.00/yr for year round use and $45,000 vehicle replacement cost. Not bad for a '97 gasser. Been with Liberty Mutual for years. Don't plan on changing anytime soon.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #18

Anyone have an idea about insurance in bc Canada. Currently have 05 Expedition insured for full replacement value costing $2000 per yr with 2000 deductible.
Had this since purchase in 2007. Was talked into a separate policy with Milenium Ins. when I purchased the rig with a clause that after 5 years the $2000 premium would be refunded less any claims. Never made any claims and when 5 years were up I applied for refund but was told I missed the deadline , fine print, by 2 days hence no refund.

Never have had a claim against but my premium goes up every year. Time to search around
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #19

I was about to pull the trigger on the AARP Hartford insurance yesterday but I decided to do a little Googling looking for reviews of their service. I found this:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insu...insurance.html

It has scared me to death, and I am now rethinking my decision to break my 40 year relationship with Allstate.
If you are a current or past AARP Hartford customer please post your experience with this company. Good or bad. I am especially interested in how your claims were handled and how it affected your rates. Also, even if you have not had a claim, did your rates go up after the first year? I don't want to give up on them just yet, but MAN! those are some scary reviews! But you know how the internet is, right?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I was about to pull the trigger on the AARP Hartford insurance yesterday but I decided to do a little Googling looking for reviews of their service. I found this:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insu...insurance.html

It has scared me to death, and I am now rethinking my decision to break my 40 year relationship with Allstate.
If you are a current or past AARP Hartford customer please post your experience with this company. Good or bad. I am especially interested in how your claims were handled and how it affected your rates. Also, even if you have not had a claim, did your rates go up after the first year? I don't want to give up on them just yet, but MAN! those are some scary reviews! But you know how the internet is, right?
Here is my experience With AARP Hartford Insurance. We have been with them for 27 years. We have everything insured with them Home Cars and Motor Home. During that time we have had 6 windshields replaced in 4 motor homes and 2 cars. Never a problem. We have had 3 accidents 1 with our toad while towing hit something in the road and tore the front fender off. They reduced the deductible if we took it to their preferred repair shop. Claim service was fast and no hassel. 1 accident when foot hit gas on Van and hit back bumper of a truck, No damage to the truck Mashed in hood and grill on Van. Fast claim service no hassel and they furnished a rental car until van was repaired. van wrecked again when attention was diverted by item falling off of passenger seat. wife hit back of parked pickup truck. No damage to truck but $4K to Van Fast claim service no hassel. Insurance went up about $100 because of accident. Now 2 times I have insured a RV with good sam for a lower rate. both times after the first year they have raised the rate over $200 a year and the last time over $300. Each time I went back to AARP and saved money The last time was in 2015. A lot of insurance companies will give you a teaser rate the first year to get you to switch and then raise the rate after 6 months or a year. It pays to shop. Never had a problem with AARP I would never switch our cars or home from AARP like I said in a previous post no one has ever come with in $300 of AARP for what we pay for 2 cars and a home. RV insurance has varied, but I know that AARP Hartford always comes through. Fast good no hassel claims service has been my experience with them.
Mel
Old 10-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #21

mhbell,
Thank you so much for that review!
I would reasonably expect that your rates would go up after all those claims. How much have they increased? Oops, sorry I see you already posted that.

I wonder, if they would treat a newer customer that well. I would love to hear from someone who has been a customer for 5 years or so.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #22

I opted to go with AARP Hartford about 5 or so years ago. The premium was low and the coverage good. Had them for 2 years then at the 3rd renewal, the premium jumped over $300. This with no accidents or claims. Thinking it was an error on their part, i called the Hartford who verified that it wasn't. I realize premiums go up from time to time but that was enough for me to go with someone else with lower rates.

Never had any claims with the company so i can't say how good the service is.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I opted to go with AARP Hartford about 5 or so years ago. The premium was low and the coverage good. Had them for 2 years then at the 3rd renewal, the premium jumped over $300. This with no accidents or claims. Thinking it was an error on their part, i called the Hartford who verified that it wasn't. I realize premiums go up from time to time but that was enough for me to go with someone else with lower rates.

Never had any claims with the company so i can't say how good the service is.
So who did you go with? I have not found anything that even comes close to the AARP rates. Even if my rate went up $500 after the first year, it would be better than what I have now!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
So who did you go with? I have not found anything that even comes close to the AARP rates.
First, let me say that my experience was for coverage on my automobiles. AARP was never able to beat the rate that i had on the motorhome. Had Geico for all of the vehicles for several years before 2009. Had a few claims, a couple that were major, and found that their service was fantastic. Because of the good service, i really tried to be loyal but the premiums kept rising, finally to the point where i felt i needed to go with someone else.

The automobiles are with another company but the motorhome is with Progressive. Just looked to make sure and see that i started with them in 2009. What's interesting is that this year's premium was only $27 higher than it was back in 09. No claims so far but i feel comfortable their service will be ok if we ever need it.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Had National General for a year after we bought the Magna, then they doubled the rates. Went with The Hartford and save some $1,600.
Now looking at changing my homeowners policy from Pemco to The Hartford. Kind of hate to since I've had Pemco since 1968 but they want $1,493 and The Hartford comes in at $626. Do need to verify some info as The Hartford rates the garage and daylight basement differently in their square footage. Kind of concerns me as it's different than the assessors office and Pemco do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #26

I have always used RV Insurance broker. Many folks I have chatted with also do this, especially after unhappy experiences on their own. I really think the RV Insurance expertise is important. There are several choices. I use Gilbert RV Insurance in Orlando and they have always been able to find me good options, including costs, that suit my wishes and offer some very good advice.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #27

Please keep the AARP Hartford experiences coming. I am about to be swayed back to them. SWMBO is not so much, she is very loyal to Allstate and very skeptical of AARP Hartford.

Currently paying $3,044 for 2 cars and 1 pickup that is used only occasionally. AARP Quote is $2180 for same coverage with 3X the limits to cover the current vehicles PLUS the Motorhome. That saves me $864 while adding the Motorhome! That is just pretty hard to pass up. But I am concerned about all the bad reviews I have read, so hearing about good experiences, especially from RVers will make me feel better about switching.
One other thing, the AARP agent told me that in order for me to get these rates I would have to switch all my vehicles to them. in fact they would not even insure just the MH without me switching all vehicles.

If this works out well, I will probably look into homeowners as well.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #28

I know I should ask the insurance agent this. Does the typical RV insurance policy cover stuff that a typical homeowners policy covers, like if a pipe burst and flooded the coach. Would the typical RV policy cover stuff like that?

Tags
insurance