Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
RV Insurance options

I have never owned an RV of any kind but am shopping for one. We have picked out a nice motorhome and I am now researching the TCO I have come to the Insurance part, so I called my Insurance company and had them quote the premium cost for a $75,000 policy. They came back with $2284 per year for full coverage. This seems pretty high to me. We will not be full time campers, we will take it out mostly in the spring, summer, and fall. Are there options available that will cover us only part time?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Sounds like you are getting a policy that pays the $75,000 if the rig gets totaled. If this is the case, you might think about going with a cheaper "actual cash value" policy. The options added make a big difference and of course, your driving record comes into play.

Since we aren't fulltiming and only take the rig out a few times a year,, i've opted to go with a bare minimum policy. Comp and collision with high deductibles, and higher limits of liability are all that we carry at this time. No uninsured/underinsured, PIP, towing or anything else. The annual premium was $404 this last renewal.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The annual premium was $404 this last renewal.
Now that's more like it! I will have to check into doing something like that.
Yes, this was for full coverage with $1000 deductible.
BTW: My wife and I both have stellar driving records.

Another question I have is, are there Insurance companies that specialize in RV insurance that might be less expensive? This quote was from my auto/home insurance company that we have been with for 40 years.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I have never owned an RV of any kind but am shopping for one. We have picked out a nice motorhome and I am now researching the TCO I have come to the Insurance part, so I called my Insurance company and had them quote the premium cost for a $75,000 policy. They came back with $2284 per year for full coverage. This seems pretty high to me. We will not be full time campers, we will take it out mostly in the spring, summer, and fall. Are there options available that will cover us only part time?

Run don't walk you should get $1,000,000.00 for that.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Holy ripoff Batman! I just did an online quote at AARP and gave them the same info I gave my insurance company and it came back with 12 month premium of $448. That includes full coverage and $1000 deductible.
Ahh... Maybe it's time to change insurance companies!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Holy ripoff Batman! I just did an online quote at AARP and gave them the same info I gave my insurance company and it came back with 12 month premium of $448. That includes full coverage and $1000 deductible.
Ahh... Maybe it's time to change insurance companies!!!
Correct. Most people shop around for the best price every 2-4 years. There's no reason to be loyal to a company for 40 years!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
TSM

As an insurance agent for 40 years I wonder why RV owners set themselves up for a financial disaster. Driving a $20,000 LB vehicle at 65 miles an hour, or in traffic while getting gas, presents unintended consequences (Risk). Exacerbated by the assumption that the driver of the coach is financially well off. Personally we have sufficient coverage on the coach, plus a Liability Umbrella @ $2,000,000. ($2,000,000 covers the potential liability claim and 100% of the defense cost are covered as well). I willingly pay a few few hundred dollars a year to transfer the risk. Should an accident occur I have chosen not to put my life's savings on the line. I would ask this question how many close calls have all of us had ? The distractions today are unbelievable and from the drivers seat we can see that everyone is on the phone.
Finally I would add that my policyholder's who are assessed the lowest premiums have great driving records, great claim records and substantial discounts for their tenure.
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
TSM,
I was absolutely flabbergasted at the difference in premium cost for essentially the same coverage between my current insurance company quote and the AARP quote.
We both have stellar driving records, but the wife had a claim last year when she backed into a tree on our property and we have both had claims for hitting deers. I noted both those on the quote application. Why would there be such a huge difference in price?
Honestly, I was reconsidering my decision to purchase a motorhome based on the cost of insuring it. At this point, I am now considering moving all my auto insurance if the cost difference is like it is for the RV.
Currently I carry all my insurance with them, and have for over 40 years. We have had a few claims over the years, mostly for what is considered "acts of God" like hail damage, and hitting deer. but even those are not that numerous.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Been with AARP 27 years

We have been with AARP for 27 years. No one has been able to beat them for price and service. I check every year for our motor home and other vehicles. We have our home and everything insured with them. A couple of other insurance companies gave us a lower quote and I switched the motor home to Good Sam (National General) For a $200 a year price reduction. The next year they doubled the price. I switched back to AARP and the price was $175 less than Good Sam (National General). It pays to shop. Progressive is another one to check along with Explorer and USSA. For me no one can come within $300 of AARP.
Mel
Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Each company has their own rating methods and uses as many as 150 different parameters to evaluate each application. You may fall into one rating category with one company, and a completely different one with another. And some companies may have lower rate scales to attract new business or get a larger pool of subscribers in a particular area or policy type. There is little point ns wondering why one business sets its prices different than another (think Amazon.com vs a high-end department store). Just shop around a bit. It only takes an hour or two to request several quotes, or contact an independent agency that specializes in RVs (e.g. Miller RV Insurance) and let them do the shopping for you. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Making meaningful comparisons is impossible, but as an example I'm paying $870 for a $95k coach with $250 deductible, but have received quotes of double that for lesser coverage. My current company is Allied and the policy is written under the FMCA group coverage plan, a group discount worth about $70/year as near as I can tell.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have 2 rigs; 2009 Safari Cheetah class A and 2009 Winnebago Chalet class C.

I use GEICO pay $1490.00 per year ($745 every 6 months). $500.00 deductible.

Had a claim 4 years ago when my awning unfurled in a heavy wind gust while driving through SD. They quickly paid the $4,000.00+ and no increase in premium.

I also have my 2 cars with them on a separate policy, but the cars help with multiple vehicle discount.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #12

my wife has an insurance certification and she said the area you live in makes most difference...her in ND we have pretty low rates. few car thefts ect... my insurance for my last rig was not much as only worth 35-40g..the one we have now is 100g and cost s$285 every 6 months. with 500 deductible. if i lived in new New Hamp. or so it would be triple or probably more////
Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
My farmers insurance quote me 675.00 full coverage for 12 months "but" i have a 97 itasca sunrise 33 feet long , total damage of 17,500

I know its old but its in really good conditions haha
Jacobnino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #14

Hartford AARP. New 2016 Winnebago for about $550. Full coverage acv policy. $500k liability.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance