Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

RV Insurance to consider

Based on your recent experience who would you get a quote from in reevaluating your RV coverage. Looking to balance cost vs quality of the company. Thanks!
glemo81540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive-2 glass claims, handled well, cheaper than all others, for us.

Go on-line for your quote-checking the 30 days per year usage question makes a big difference
Old 11-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is no simple answer to that, because there are too many variables for each individual & RV. Location is the first big factor, but personal things like credit rating, age, driving record, etc. can make huge differences in the rate quote. You may have some small difference that kicks you into a much different rate table than someone else. You really need to shop for quotes to see what fits best. Or use an independent agency that specializes in RV insurance - they can usually find a good fit. Try Miller RV Insurance or Gilbert RV Insurance and let them find the best quote for you. If you are an FMCA member, try their contract agency for a quote - members get a discount.

I personally do not think there is much difference in "quality" of the insurance, at least not among any of the larger insurers. The policy covers what it covers, and they all send out contract adjusters to review any damage claim.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have progressive with full comprehensive a $0 deductible. After two years they reduced my rate. I like that. The only two experiences I had were first we blew the serpentine belt and they offered to send a tow truck or flat bed to take us to a repair facility and second to try and find a repair facility that were service on the road. This was Sunday in Delaware just of 95 and Rt 1. They started to send the tow and also gave me a list of names to contact for road repair. As it happens I found someone less that 1 mile away on the list that would help us. He came to the MH and I had the bed opened so he could see the engine. He told me to follow him and it would not hurt anything as he was only four minutes away. They got me going and the costs was only $145 for labor and parts.

The second incident was both my windshields had cracks and need replacement. I call progressive, they approved it over the phone within three minutes, contacted the glass supplier, they call me in 10 minutes, the glass supplier arranged for an installing company within 3 miles of my home. 5 days later they called me to have them installed. Of course there was a lot of winnebago rust on the pinch weld frame but they only charged me $150 to fix the rust.

I also carry progressive on my three motorcycles. Never had such a fine experience with any other insurance company
Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glemo81540 View Post
Based on your recent experience who would you get a quote from in reevaluating your RV coverage. Looking to balance cost vs quality of the company. Thanks!

I have Blue Sky Insurance which I got through the Tobin Agency in Collingswood, NJ all they do is Recreational Vehicle Insurance.

I had one claim for a windshield with Blue Sky I emailed a picture of a 10 inch crack across the drivers viewing area and had no issues getting it repaired locally.

I did not look for other prices as the insurance was around $800 for the entire year which I thought was fair. I did later run it by my car insurance person and they could not come close to matching the price.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a quote from Hartford AARP, they were about 50% cheaper than GMAC thru Good Sam.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Had Progressive for several years. Experienced a yearly moderate rate increase. Two years ago, based on recommendations here, I had it quoted with AARP Hartford. Annual premium reduced by 40%. And the kicker was I had a bad accident history, no tickets but two incidents, the last one cost Progressive$35K, not to me, but to a claimant. ( should have been $3 K,but a young pregnant welfare mom saw a big mh and had a big pay day). None of this info was withheld from Hartford.......needless to say, I was surprised.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Since they base insurance rates on credit scores as of late, it is really hard to tell. I was with Farmers for YEARS and recently went to a broker to get a quote from The Hartford for the AARP discount. I ended up with Safeco (didn't see that one coming)! Way more coverage; way less money. He said we should re-shop every 2 years. Using the broker made it easy to compare....he did all the work.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as I am concerned, Progressive is cheap enough at 585. Zero deductible, road side assistance, fast response, good service, when I get on the phone with them they take care of business. And they keep reducing my yearly premium. I don't find that service with many insurance companies. Based on some comments, I will ask other companies for comparable prices. The were all higher when I was looking for insurance 5 years ago.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Just as a counterpoint, the Progressive quote for our cars & motorhome is about 60% greater that what I pay with Allied/Nationwide. They were also much higher than our previous insurer, National Interstate.

This is not a knock against Progressive - just illustrating that the company that is cheaper for one person may not be a good deal for another.

It is also common for some companies to give a low rate for the first year, or maybe two, and then jack it up substantially. Hoping you will continue to renew, I guess.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance