Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #1

RV Insurance - who is best?

Getting ready to finalize new tiffin purchase and would like referral to good RV Insurance company.

Heard good things about "Good Sam".
Any experience with RV America?
Progressive?
USAA?

Other suggestions?
Rspitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSsaginaw View Post
Getting ready to finalize new tiffin purchase and would like referral to good RV Insurance company.

Progressive?

USAA?

Other suggestions?

USAA does not have RV insurance. You will get referred to Progressive. I haven’t filed any claims, but the premium was pretty cheap for me.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #3

If you do a search of this site you'll find hundreds of posts dealing with insurance. Everyone has their favorites and the one's they hate. It's all posted so do the search.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

Here's a thread that will help: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-i...st-383339.html
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSsaginaw View Post

Progressive?
USAA?

Other suggestions?
Whoever has the best price and can handle all your vehicles.
Insurance companies are regulated and if and when you might get some static from them, then the Insurance Commissioner is just a phone call away. In fact the threat alone will usually take care of the problem, if you're in the right.
Don't plan on remaining with any one company for the long haul, anyway, as they always give their best deals, to new customers. Shopping around every few years at the most will give you the best return on your money.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You must keep in mind that there are variables for insurance. These variables often are the reasons why we read posts that are entirely negative. Some folks want minimums and they generally pay a lower premium. When they post what they are paying they often do not post that they have no glass coverage, $2000 deductible and so on. Do you think it is less expensive to insure an RV in northern Maine of in Philadelphia ? Far to many variables to compare with another poster. Listen to the advice on different companies but do the research for your local area. Another possible variable is how often you actually camp. Some companies have a higher rate for those who camp more than 30 nights per year.

I have Progressive, no claims and I'm content with our premium. We are also offered a discount from Nov until April. In my area local camping ends for the most part on Oct 15. Most CG's do not open until May 15. All of our expensive coverage is reduced as long as we don't hit the highways.

Shop, Shop, Shop !!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #7

There is no best.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Check AARP Hartford.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

We're happy with Safeco. We have full coverage glass replacement and one side of the windshield was replaced a couple of years ago without question and at no cost to us. Annual cost is only around $350.00, but the MH is older. Could be worth a call.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

there are too many variables in EVERY situation to make any 'blanket' assumption of what company is best...even understanding what 'BEST' even means! (cheapest? easiest to deal with? easiest to have a claim paid? etc etc!)

'BEST' means something different for everyone of us, and it can change on a dime if our current 'favorite' company does not 'act' as we think they should!

Everyone on this forum will tell you that 'their' insurance company is the best! because, after all, it's who they chose to do business with - would they ever say it was not?!

Do your homework and check every available option for your state - that is simply the ONLY way you will EVER know what's best for 'YOU'.... travel, enjoy.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I had National Interstate for years , and now Safeco ! I feel they have competitive rates, but have never had a claim with either !
Old 03-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
We're happy with Safeco. We have full coverage glass replacement and one side of the windshield was replaced a couple of years ago without question and at no cost to us. Annual cost is only around $350.00, but the MH is older. Could be worth a call.

Steve
Yet another classic example of all the differences. The $350 would sound great to many owners but ...... what is the coverage ? I'm not really asking or calling you out personally but if someone were to have a 1993 unit and you are only seeking current value then it's a fair price. If you have a 2016 DP then that coverage might be enough to replace a tail light.

Every situation is different and every owner has a different idea of what they want for coverage. I might be in love with Company X but your neighbor may hate them because ......

Good Luck

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Yet another classic example of all the differences. The $350 would sound great to many owners but ...... what is the coverage ? I'm not really asking or calling you out personally but if someone were to have a 1993 unit and you are only seeking current value then it's a fair price. If you have a 2016 DP then that coverage might be enough to replace a tail light.

Every situation is different and every owner has a different idea of what they want for coverage. I might be in love with Company X but your neighbor may hate them because ......

Good Luck
From what I was told by a departing insurance agent, whatever a company accepts as a value, insures you against damage up to and including a total loss.
Some like jacking it up to make you pay more premiums, but totally unnecessary for most and besides, these things depreciate every minute, so what's it worth down the road and for people who stay with the same company forever. Do they really depreciate it and your premiums for every year that goes by and I hardly think so.
Story short, if you're insured for a $100K and your rig is only worth $50K, then 50 is all you're going to get folks!
As for the posters $350 premium, it's again on whatever value was put on it, which couldn't have been for much. Don't take all this to the bank, however and check it out for yourself, beginning with checking yours and for seeing what the retail book value is. I'm betting that most are overpaying and what shouldn't be allowed. Some will ask what MSRP was, while others will ask what you payed for it or what you feel it's worth. All a question of how bad they want your business, in fact.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
USAA-Progressive has been great. Good rates and hassle free, fair, settlement when a near miss tornado tore the roof off my Winnie. Could not be happier.

Tags
insurance