Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are just the opposite than most here. Don't change oil or grease, but we do "little" repairs like changing the refrigerator to a residential or completely changing the tub and surround in the bathroom.

I am really lazy but have a herd time paying $110.00 an hour labor for something I can do myself. I guess I am cheaper than I am lazy. LOL

Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
Newmar Owners Club
I do all the routine maintenance on the chassis and coach.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #31
Used to do most maintenance years ago, not any more. Fingernails are now allergic to grease.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Got too old, but examine the under carriage monthly. Plus, what would I do with 25 quarts of oil?
I take my oil to autozone,no problem.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #33
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
I take my oil to autozone,no problem.

Do all autozones have a place to take oil? ( Maybe be a dumb question, didn't know if was a company thing or local deal)
Drake, Kathy, & Kaitlyn
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E Gasser
drakethib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
Originally Posted by drakethib View Post
Do all autozones have a place to take oil? ( Maybe be a dumb question, didn't know if was a company thing or local deal)
They should all have a used oil tank. I take mine to Walmart.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
Monaco Owners Club
Autozone, Pep Boys, Walmart, Target, O'Reily's are just a few of the places that I have seen the signs of "Drop Old Oil Off to recycle". Just about every place that sells oil will take it to recycle.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
We do have an Auto Zone, and no they do not recycle oil. Closet Wal Mart is a 30 minute drive. Personally for the savings I'll opt for the 275.00 oil and filter change at the diesel shop. JMW!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club

I do all the scheduled maintenance LOF etc. I found that the city municipal maintenance shops will take oil ( 15 gallons on our engine), antifreeze, and batteries. I got lazy once and called the local Cummins facility to schedule an oil change, they said they offered it as part of a 70 point RV inspection for several hundred dollars. I told them I just wanted the oil changed, they said they would check and call me back - never did
2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Most states require that the store you purchase the oil from take the used oil back in the original containers if you provide the purchase receipt for the oil.

As far as the local Freightliner is concerned... They jack the labor cost way up for RVers. If you happen to be near Gaffney, SC or heading that general direction, it is a good idea to make an appointment with the factory service center and maybe even go to the school they provide at the same time. The labor rates are much more reasonable and the service it top shelf. The techs really know their products. We were not available for the last school for this year. We hope to catch one of their suitcase schools while volunteering on the wet coast next year. DW is very interested in it too boot!
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #39
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My city has a refuge facility that will take used oil, antifreeze etc. while under my toad [liberty] changing oil I spotted a no grease u joint that was suspect [seal looked bad] upon removal of the drive shaft i confirmed that the u joint was indeed bad. I dont think many lube services would look for these type of problems. Also be advised, I took the liberty in to a lube service shop while on the road, couldnt change oil in a campground. When I did the next oil change myself I discovered that the filter used by said shop was about 1/2 the size of the oem filter, so it took less oil to bring the dipstick up to the full mark. And no they didnt put the wrong filter on, it was clearly marked on the filter which vehicle it was intended for. Have no idea as to the quality of it. So if you are able it makes since to do your own maintenance or find a shop you trust to do what you yourself would do. Back to the driveshaft, can you imagine what would have happened if that u joint went while I was towing the jeep?It was the front joint.
WIT# 34347
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #40
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've gone so far as to install the Banks kit myself and it included a new turbo housing.
New LED and LCD TV's
New slide out motor.
Shocks all around, the fronts 6 times so far (testing shocks for Reyco Granning)
Change engine oil and filters, new cooling system hoses and coolant are next.
Right now the DW is in the hospital (8 times in 13 months for the same thing) so I am spending lots of time with her and not getting the stuff done!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #41
I change my oil and other maintenance but the major work I have done.
2008 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser
Wisdom is not a product of schooling, but of a lifelong attempt to acquire it.
Modela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #42
i also do all my own maintenance and repairs myself. it also helps that i've been a mechanic for 20 years and i'm on a very tight budget so paying someone else is not an option. even if you just do basic maintenance it is a great way to get to know your r.v. Knowing your r.v. will help tremendously if you ever have a malfunction of some sort while your out on the road somewhere. i have taken the time to tag all my major electrical wiring and switch's, plumbing lines such as supply, gray water etc. and propane stuff with a label maker just to make things easier if i ever have any issues. I'm a bit OCD and cant stop tinkering with things.
get yourself a good starter set of tools and a good multi meter and electrical kit and get dirty. happy wrenching!!

hornet8118 is offline   Reply With Quote