Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #43

People pay me to do their work that they don't want to do, don't know how to do, or don't have the facilities.
However, I look over things, have no problem telling people other problems, and will go through things, even if I lose a little business, because I'll probably gain more later on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #44

I do the Onan Gen but not the engine oil & filters. I will tackle any thing else that I feel confident in fixing otherwise leave it to the pros. This year I had to have the exhaust manifold, turbo charger, engine head, & fuel pump and fuel lines replaced on the cummins 8.3. Had the pros do it!!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I do the Onan Gen but not the engine oil & filters. I will tackle any thing else that I feel confident in fixing otherwise leave it to the pros. This year I had to have the exhaust manifold, turbo charger, engine head, & fuel pump and fuel lines replaced on the cummins 8.3. Had the pros do it!!
What happened??? That had to have set you back a buck or two! Yea. Good job for pros. What caused the failure? I am certain I am not the only curious cat in the bunch.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do ALL my own work as I get older I find less effort with a longer piece of pipe on a ratchet or breaker bar.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #47

I do everything on my coach thats possible to do myself........I hate to take it to a shop to have something fixed and get it back with dirty carpet or scratches that appeared from nowhere........
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #48

The failure started with finding a severly rusted and leaking exhaust manifold. The head had to be removed to have the broken bolts removed and did not pressure test out and had to be replaced. The turbo charger had to be rebuilt or replaced, I think bearing failure. When they put back on the fuel pump it leaked and had to be replaced w/ new lines. Cost a bunch. Rocky Mountain Cummins did the work. Very expensive but the work looks 1st class. We are going to go to So Calif this December and give it a real test run!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #49

I don't just yet, but am in the process of learning how. Then I'll be doing everything on my own maintenance wise I can.
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The failure started with finding a severly rusted and leaking exhaust manifold. The head had to be removed to have the broken bolts removed and did not pressure test out and had to be replaced. The turbo charger had to be rebuilt or replaced, I think bearing failure. When they put back on the fuel pump it leaked and had to be replaced w/ new lines. Cost a bunch. Rocky Mountain Cummins did the work. Very expensive but the work looks 1st class. We are going to go to So Calif this December and give it a real test run!
Thanks for the explanation. I am curious about what caused the bolts to fail. Did it all start several years back with a head gasket leak? How much mileage do you have on the rig?

I have been warned by friends and have read in the owners manual to allow a 5 min cooldown after coming off the highway or being under heavy load for a period of time in order for the turbo bearings and oil to cool. I guess it is easy to forget over the years and the damage builds. A friend put a auto shutdown on his pickup 5th wheel hauler. It senses the turbo bearing temp and shuts the unit down when safe. Good preventative.

Glad your back on the road. Will be in So Cal in the spring.

Happy and safe tails,
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #51

Nor'easters Club
Other than mounting tires, alignments or warranty work I've never had any vehicle (car/truck/boat/MOHO) in a shop in my life. If you have some basic electrical and mechanical skills and break things down to one system at a time, it really isn't very complicated.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Lou, don't forget physical agility! I have enough old age sight and movement problems now that some things are just out of my "reach". LOL.

As long as I can I will continue to do certain maintenance items. I can't do the coolant change or chassis greasing, alignments and the such. These must go to the shop. Oil and filters are still mine.

When I got this coach I had to do a genset oil change because we were running it allot. When I went to remove the plug it was jammed in. I had to pay to get it removed, and the dealer said that they had changed the oil. Hummm...???

You are very blessed. I hope this ability lasts for many more years for you.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #53

Nor'easters Club
Rick,

Good point and thanks for the well wishes. If we ever meet, I'll be glad to help you out. Maybe when the time comes that I am unable to do the work, I'll find a young and eager assistant that wants to learn a trick or two (but I doubt it)...LOL.

Safe travels,

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Wow. I hope to never find myself in that position. I have some reservations with the people that work at Cummins in Ventura. I had an ONAN problem, they hit me for a diagnostic charge on a system that has self diagnostics. I went to them because I had a warranty and only owned the rig for a week when it happened. The self diagnosis was correct.Had to pay diagnosis,deductible, and clean my own floor.
When I went to pick it up, it had grease foot prints across the rug to the hall switch panel where you can start the Gen Set. They denied it ever happened while there.
That shop seems to have the tail wagging the dog.
Also, they do not give any break on FULL LIST PRICING!!
I hope they gave you some consideration, that took a lot of trust.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Rick,

Good point and thanks for the well wishes. If we ever meet, I'll be glad to help you out. Maybe when the time comes that I am unable to do the work, I'll find a young and eager assistant that wants to learn a trick or two (but I doubt it)...LOL.

Safe travels,

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
That is a wonderful offer Lou. Come and join SOWERS. We are a bunch of folks of all ages, skill abilities and health levels serving the servants of the Greatest Servant. And we serve all over the nation. Even Canada!

It would be a treat to meet you.

Rick
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
That is a wonderful offer Lou. Come and join SOWERS. We are a bunch of folks of all ages, skill abilities and health levels serving the servants of the Greatest Servant. And we serve all over the nation. Even Canada! It would be a treat to meet you. Rick
Hmmm. !

WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote