Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
I do all my own maintenance and fix it items unless it is major engine or tranny work. I can't imagine having to take this thing in for every little fix it item that comes up. I wouldn't be able to afford to use it if I did.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I am curious about what caused the bolts to fail. Did it all start several years back with a head gasket leak? How much mileage do you have on the rig?

I have been warned by friends and have read in the owners manual to allow a 5 min cooldown after coming off the highway or being under heavy load for a period of time in order for the turbo bearings and oil to cool. I guess it is easy to forget over the years and the damage builds. A friend put a auto shutdown on his pickup 5th wheel hauler. It senses the turbo bearing temp and shuts the unit down when safe. Good preventative.

Glad your back on the road. Will be in So Cal in the spring.

Happy and safe tails,
Rick
And Cummins says differently:
Quote:
Idling at Startup or Shutdown

At Startup
– Idling for engine warm-up is not required
– Once oil pressure is seen … put motorhome in motion
– Don’t operate at full road speed until engine temp reaches approximately 150 deg.F.

At Shutdown … Idle (3-5 min) required only after full throttle/high power operation.

Idling is not necessary after normal operation such as exiting highway, driving into rest stop, campground, etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #59

Want to but need engine manual, any ideas where to purchase?
jbharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharrell View Post
Want to but need engine manual, any ideas where to purchase?
Go to the Cummins parts counter with your engine SN and they will sell you one. While you are there you might as well get the genset repair manual also.

Most of the engine maintenance is oil and filters. I use Royal Purple in my engines and send a oil sample to a lab for analysis at maintenance time. If just the filter needs changing that is what I do.

There are many who do this. Black Stone is the one I will use with this new to me coach.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Go to the Cummins parts counter with your engine SN and they will sell you one. While you are there you might as well get the genset repair manual also.

Most of the engine maintenance is oil and filters. I use Royal Purple in my engines and send a oil sample to a lab for analysis at maintenance time. If just the filter needs changing that is what I do.

There are many who do this. Black Stone is the one I will use with this new to me coach.

Happy trails,
Rick

Just curious, if you dont like what the analysis tells you whats the next step?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Just curious, if you dont like what the analysis tells you whats the next step?
Great question. Thanks for asking it.

When the analysis comes back Black Stone makes recommendations and comments. If the silicates are high there is something wrong with the air intake: bad filter or plumbing is the usual. If the oil is just plain worn out I change it. If it still has 5K left I keep on trucking for a few k more. But the results can show engine problems developing. After several sample tests a pattern of the engine wear starts to emerge. If certain metal types start to grow in numbers this is a warning that a bearing may be failing, the turbo is on it's way out, or you may have coolant in the oil. Many problems can be caught before a catastrophic failure occurs. The folks at the lab are pretty good about giving a heads up.

If you suspect a problem is developing you can bring the file to Cummins and they can tell you more of what is going on.

Proper shutdown is a good first step. Though the engine temp may read low, the bearings in the turbo are still hot enough to cook the oil onto the bearings. It is a good practice to idle for a few minutes before shutting down. But this is essential if you have been hauling over hills and been on the road for some time. A 5 min cooldown is not unreasonable.

I have read several different oil test results. When Royal Purple is in the mix it ALWAYS shows the least amount of scaring. The major complaint is viscosity. It tends to thicken overtime. A filter change and the added oil usually brings things back closer to spec.

I am certain that others out in irv2 land can give you a better explanation. I hope they do. I want to read it. I am a novice and have simply read about most of this I have published.

Happy trails and may your engine treat you well.

Rick
Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #63

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like it could save you some problems.Mind sharing the cost?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Sounds like it could save you some problems.Mind sharing the cost?
Black Stone is $30 + $10 for another test that I don't recall for what. Very short money compared to the cost of 23 quarts of oil. The test kit is free:

Blackstone Labs

You can check other labs and see if there is one you like better. These folks seem to be reasonable and meet my needs.

Most manufactures support a oil change program based upon time or mileage. If after testing the oil proves to be in good working order why change it?

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info, makes since for a diesel.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Maintenance

Do it myself for the most part.
I have a service contract for repairs. It has been great!
Took it in once, now I work with them to get reimbursed, I supply the labor for some repairs.
I do the Oil and Filters, Fuel Filters, Cooling system service, Hyd Oil and Filters, Air filter, Trans service, Lube work (ugh) not as flexible as I used to be. Gen Set, the same.
Also have done Refrigerator circuit boards, Gas heater Circuit board, Inverter panel replacement, Battery Maintenance, Macerator repair and a few other small items.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #67

Quote:
Black Stone is $30 + $10 for another test that I don't recall for what. Very short money compared to the cost of 23 quarts of oil. The test kit is free: Blackstone Labs You can check other labs and see if there is one you like better. These folks seem to be reasonable and meet my needs. Most manufactures support a oil change program based upon time or mileage. If after testing the oil proves to be in good working order why change it? Happy trails, Rick
SpeedCo has an oil analysis service. Anyone know how it compared to Blackstone? Can you use both results to compare?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
SpeedCo has an oil analysis service. Anyone know how it compared to Blackstone? Can you use both results to compare?
I don't see why not. But that does not seem cost effective. If you use them for your changes why not just trust their analysis? I don't know if it is as indepth as Black Stone but it should tell you what is important for the health of your rig. Fleet owners have to keep on top of things. Checking the condition of each of the fluids used in their equipment is a very important history for each unit. We don't abuse our equipment as much as truckers can simply because we don't put the milage on they do in a year. If we did we wouldn't have much time camping.

For me, the oil analysis is to save money as well as to know the condition of my engine. "If it ain't broke don't fix it .

Happy trails,
Rick