Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #15

I do all mine as many do. This year I did a bunch.
Changed hydraulic fluid and two filters.
Changed dessicant filter.
Changed Allison filters, and topped off fluid,analysis showed fluid was still good.
Installed two new engine belts.
Installed new step motor.
Yearly engine oil change, and fuel filters.
Genny engine oil,fuel filter, air filter. and new antifreeze.
Changed front and tag hub oil.
Installed six new Lifeline batteries,including building rack for the two extra one's.
And the big project for this year was installing a Samsung res fridge in coach.
Now after driving school bus for eight more days, we will depart for CA, AZ, and NV, and relax for the next six months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #16

Too picky here. Don't trust anyone else to do it for fear I'll have to do it over again myself anyway. Some, like my navigator, may call that anal something or another...

I do however, not mind having a guy I know, give me a hand with the HD chassis related stuff. I am just not equipped to do anything regarding removing a 22.5 wheel for instance? He can lift my whole coach up and do anything he needs to do while standing up!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got too old, but examine the under carriage monthly. Plus, what would I do with 25 quarts of oil?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Lots of folks, including myself DIY to some or great extent.

What are you trying to learn from your question?

I usually bring my vehicles in for oil changes and stuff, just bought a new MH and am finding that it is a PITA to find somewhere near my home that does simple maintenance items without having to schedule an appointment or take off work to bring it there.

I worked on Track Vehicles in the military so I am pretty fluent in mechanics but there are some things that I dont want to tacklle. I think if someone had a Mobile RV maintenance service, they could get rich quick if they did good work.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #19

Id say if you can change your car you can change a MH just a lot more oil. So far I have done all of mine oil,fuel,hydraulic,air filter,grease,tranny not hard like I said a lot of fluids then you have to dispose of them.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #20

Yes, I do all of my own maintenance and repair work. So far it has all been fairly light type of work. Nothing major...... knock on wood!
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #21

I do all my own upkeep and upgrades (35 so far). Luckily my RV is a 1997 with very low mileage. I couldn't afford to own it if anything big went wrong with local RV labor at $90-$100 an hour. Youtube and other sites like this forum have saved me $$$$$ on the tons of little stuff that can eat up a budget fast.
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #22

I do all that I can. The biggest problem with taking the rig someplace is getting the job done right. I took my rig to a shop in Elkhart, IN that said they knew all about my model. Paid for four hours of labor at $110 per hour and almost nothing was done. The mechanic only spent about two hours inside my rig. Really disappointed and will not go back.
The great advice that I have received on this site has allowed me to fix most things. I would be lost without the internet to look things up. Also the tech support from Monaco has been a lot of help.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Used to. Now F/T. No place to do it.
We are full timers also. No place to do normal maintenance like oil changes. Most minor repairs I can do so the "heavy stuff" like awnings and slide issues sent to dealer or rv repairman in the area. I am new but learning very fast that some rv dealers and shop want to sell new and not figure out if there is a repair available. That can be a expensive education!

guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #24

I try to do every repair or replacement myself. The forums and Internet in general have help me save tons of money I would have spend hiring someone. We FT, so when it comes to oil and such, Spedco gets my money. I always keep an eye on them when they are doing service. Had a guy in Amarillo give the the all finished. I had to point to the oil fill cap that he had not put back on.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a fulltimer and I do most of my own work. I use Royal Purple motor oil in the coach, car and genset. If you are handy and physically able you should have no trouble learning what you need to know to get things into tiptop shape with the financial rewards being worth the dirty hand.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do the maintenance on ours. I'm sure there will come a time when I'll have to hire it out but for now I'll keep messing with it. Takes about 2 hours to complete an oil change, lube the chassis and change the generator oil besides it gives me a chance to also take a look around and inspect the rest of the running gear.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #27

2 hours is pretty good, I'd say. Takes me all day to get through all that! I'm generally in the "no hurry" mode and puttering my way through it though. Greasing the chassis fittings generally finds me eye balling everything to and from each grease fitting looking for "stuff" that might need attention even if not done right then. That would be the major benefit over having this work done professionally?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I do the regular maintenance LOFs on the chassis and minor repairs on the coach and chassis. I have found that major repairs are best done at Winnebago, Forest City, Iowa and Freightliner, Gaffney, South Carolina. Both have the understanding and experience to repair quickly and effectively issues that local businesses have little understanding of the problems to start with.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote