Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Rv mechanic or auto/truck mechanic?

To the collective:
When choosing to bring your motorhome for running gear service, ie brakes, belts, tune up, etc...do you bring your rig to an rv specific shop or a regular auto mechanic? Im not talking about appliance or roof work...Trying to decide where to bring my new to me 1988 winnebago chieftan to get road ready, a Winnebago dealer/service center, or a truck mechanical shop...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #2

Truck mechanical shop...that you call first and ascertain whether or not they work on them. Then, check RVServiceReviews.com to see if they have good reviews.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
truck / auto repair shop that is experienced with motorhomes
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I own a '88 winnebago superchief, do all the repairs myself, its a chevy 454 engine, most things can be done thru the dog house, like hose, belts, tune ups, rather do it my self then take it in but if I need to go in,,,take it to a Automotive repair shop, its a gas engine.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I take mine to Truck repair place. It was recommended to me by a fellow RV owner. It's a good shop.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

IMHO with the small number of MH's currently being sold each year, more and more good diesel/truck mechanics will be leaving RV dealerships to go to truck centers to earn a better living. A Class A MH essentially is a truck and can be serviced by any competent truck center. We've had good experiences at Cat and Cummins service centers and at several independent truck centers around the country. One thing about truck centers that we've noticed is they seem to work faster than RV dealerships; no one wants a commercial truck out of service for any longer than necessary.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a personal experience: A sticker on my 2012 Thor ACE, Ford F53 chassis, said to get the alignment checked after 5,000 miles with a full load. I tried all 4 major Ford dealers in Raleigh NC and none of them would work on it. One of them told me that F250 is the biggest vehicle a regular Ford dealer will work on. I had to drive 75 miles to the closest Ford HEAVY TRUCK dealer. My previous MH was on a Chevy chassis and the local Chevy dealer was happy to work on it. Ford seem to have a big divide between light and heavy vehicle service.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #8

I use an automotive repair shop that also works on MH. The auto repair is $88 per hr, the RV repair shop up the road is $109 per hr.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Just a personal experience: A sticker on my 2012 Thor ACE, Ford F53 chassis, said to get the alignment checked after 5,000 miles with a full load. I tried all 4 major Ford dealers in Raleigh NC and none of them would work on it. One of them told me that F250 is the biggest vehicle a regular Ford dealer will work on. I had to drive 75 miles to the closest Ford HEAVY TRUCK dealer. My previous MH was on a Chevy chassis and the local Chevy dealer was happy to work on it. Ford seem to have a big divide between light and heavy vehicle service.
Same problem here in Central Massachusetts. No Ford dealer wants to even look at the motor home. Fortunately, I have a great truck/auto mechanic who will do my Ford service.
One other thing that is a problem is an alignment. Again, none of the dealers or major tire outfits in this area want to work on motor homes. So - truck service it is - usually expensive.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Ford seem to have a big divide between light and heavy vehicle service.
I don't believe this is a corporate rule, just a dealer preference. When we had an E450-based Class C a few years ago my local Ford dealer (out in the country, not a city shop) was happy to do all the routine service and mechanical repairs. They sold plenty of medium duty trucks and I could see all sorts of commercial vehicles on their lot being brought in for service.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

Thanks or the great responses! I think I will bring it to a truck mechanic locally, some auto shops won't touch it, cause they don't have the HD lift capability...and an RV shop for the appliances, roof, etc...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Cummings 400 hp ISL all running gear I take it to a Cummings dealer shop. I have not been disappointed they have done quality work they have plug in and a place to hang out for full timers.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I know a few RV dealers that have good chassis shops, e.g. Lazydays RV in Tampa, but most don't have a clue about chassis work. In fact, some will tell you flat out to take it elsewhere and others will simply sub-out the work to a truck chassis shop and charge you a mark up on the costs plus labor to take it there. For me, if I am fairly sure I have a chassis mechanical problem, I prefer to go straight to the guys who know how to fix it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #14

Best is if you can find a local independent shop. Most shops are hesitant to take motorhomes because they tie up so much space, especially if they wind up waiting on parts. Independents choose their clientele, and if they will do motorhomes, and do good work, they will likely present the best deal and best service.