Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #1

RV Newbie

I've never owned or operated an RV in my life. I'm at a stage in my life (age 74) where I have few responsibilities and still have good health. I'd like to see a good part of these United States up close and personal over the next few years. I'd plan on traveling 12Kyr. I believe I have the financial means to afford this venture.

That's the overview. Now my question. I have an opportunity to buy a completely rebuilt 1995 Monaco 40' Crown Royal by the manufacture (Navastar in Indiana). New 400hp Cummins engine, new radiator system, rebuilt suspension, new electrical system, new tires, and 2013 interior refurbishment. Lots of other bells and whisles - - upgraded refrig, 30" main LCD TV, 26" BR TV, satellite ready, washer/dryer, corian counters, etc.

Now my real question. They're asking $95K. That seems a lot for a 1995 model. I don't know how to evaluate all the upgrades and refurbishments. When I look up other Monaco's of the same year ('95) the highest I see is around $50K.These are usually with 60-100K miles. How could they have put enough improvements to justify $45K more? Any comments?

What's your best advise for getting an independent appraisal? And who should this? Name of organization would be appreciated.
Lincolnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #2

You don't list your location, so I will give my general opinion. You are about to invest about $100,000 in something you have no knowledge about!!! If you don't have motorhoming friends you can call upon then at least contact a local campground, find the name of their mobile mechanic, and pay him to visit the motorhome for a basic evaluation. If the tires are "oldish" your looking at another $4,000 or more just there. Will you be towing a car? Will you rent a car at every location? Perhaps you should consider renting a Class A type RV even if it is gas for a weeks trip to a local campground. RVing is fantastic fun, but it have a learning curve. Refurbishing the inside is wonderful, it makes a almost 20 year old motorhome look nice and fresh. Did they do anything to maintain the engine, the hydraulics, the generator, the air bag suspension, the transmisson....
I'm not really commenting on whether or not it is a good purchase, I will not use the term investment, as you will never get your money back, it will continue to depreciate. If there is a regional Good Sam Club or Rally or a regional Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) club or rally in your area you might contact a member.
Best to you whatever you decide.
It is a great hobby and a nice way to travel, but not for everyone.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #3

When the time comes to sell it in a few years, don't expect to get more than $25k for it.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #4

Motorhome

Unless you just have money to waste, please think carefully about paying this much for a 95 mh, if it needed that much , i would think aside from the inflated price that you should look for something newer and safer to invest in or you may not get off to a good start in your rving journey.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #5

Here's my 2 cents, first off best of luck with whatever decision you make. You will love the journey you are about to embark on. The coach sounds nice but....engine was rebuilt, why? How many miles does this unit have. I have owned and driven diesel trucks for almost 20 years, and beleave me when I say they last a long time before they need an inframe. Also, are you mechanically inclined at all? Because an old coach will definitely need to be looked after and maintained well. I'm not trying to be a downer here just realistic, diesels and the chasis they come with are great but complicated and costly when something breaks down. Have you considered a gas coach? You could buy a nice unit with the money your willing to invest. Very reliable and fuel mileage won't be that different from a big pusher cause they are much lighter. You have many other options that may be much easier for you in the long run. Anyway I'm sure you probably thought about all this but just wanted to give you an honest and brief opinion on going diesel.
Charrua72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Come on guy's he says it has a new 400 hp cummins engine and new tires!
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's what your set on and it fits your bill go for it. But just bear in mind it is a 95, Look around and you may find something you like better with a couple of slides and newer, but it is your choice. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome. This is a great place to get advise on certain things but some of the advise may not be too good. Only you can decide if something really works for you. If you like the coach, it fits your lifestyle and you are comfortable losing many thousands of dollars right away, then go for it. Don't expect the 95 coach to command the $$$ you are considering paying 5 seconds after the ink dries on check. If you were my Dad, I would tell you to look for something newer. You can buy a pretty nice motorhome for $95K.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That is a fairly old MH, for quite a high dollar amount. Personally I would look for newer MHs. Are you traveling alone or with others? How much room do you need to be comfortable?

Since my wife and I are FT, and moving from a stick built house to a MH FT, we wanted the largest and newest MH we could afford. There are MANY used MHs listed. Take you time and look some more.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Look around. You can get a lot of MH for $95,000.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a rv buddy in El Dorado Hills, just across town, who is thinking about selling his 4 slide 2004 38' Holiday Rambler Endeavor (measures out at 40').

It is reasonably low mileage with a 330HP ISC Cummins. Mostly silver/grey in color. We have been up and down some steep grades together here in the West.

Your target price and his selling price are in the same range.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnier View Post
I've never owned or operated an RV in my life. I'm at a stage in my life (age 74) where I have few responsibilities and still have good health. I'd like to see a good part of these United States up close and personal over the next few years. I'd plan on traveling 12Kyr. I believe I have the financial means to afford this venture.

That's the overview. Now my question. I have an opportunity to buy a completely rebuilt 1995 Monaco 40' Crown Royal by the manufacture (Navastar in Indiana). New 400hp Cummins engine, new radiator system, rebuilt suspension, new electrical system, new tires, and 2013 interior refurbishment. Lots of other bells and whisles - - upgraded refrig, 30" main LCD TV, 26" BR TV, satellite ready, washer/dryer, corian counters, etc.

Now my real question. They're asking $95K. That seems a lot for a 1995 model. I don't know how to evaluate all the upgrades and refurbishments. When I look up other Monaco's of the same year ('95) the highest I see is around $50K.These are usually with 60-100K miles. How could they have put enough improvements to justify $45K more? Any comments?

What's your best advise for getting an independent appraisal? And who should this? Name of organization would be appreciated.
As you can see this community is a great one always willing to help, being New to RV myself it has been a great Asset, combined with My 35 Years of mechanical experience it has been a pretty smooth journey so far.

I was lucky and found what I think is a Great Deal on an 2007 Gulfstream Crescendo 37 ft Sleeps 6, 3 slides dual ac Front Engine Diesel, 300 HP Cummins 5.9 with Allison 2100MH 5 speed trans, Only 7K miles on the clock but I suspect the previous owners may have spent more time living in it than driving it, for 70K, Traded my 2001 Corvette and 46K and I am Pretty satisfied.

I purchased in Oct of 2012 and spent the Fall and Winter Setting up the coach with all the tools and supplies you need to efficiently operate a Class A motorhome, and added quite a few Newer updated equipment for safety convenience and Performance, Probably spent another 10K in maintenance, and upgrades and minor repairs, had a water leak, and each repair seems to lead to another repair along the way LOL

My screw gun never worked so hard in the last 4 years as it has in the last 6 months.

This was Great for me as I always need to have something to do to keep my mind busy or I will go crazy, but this may not be for everyone, it is a FULL time Job to Keep a Rolling House Up.

I have completed 2 trips so far the first one from CT to FL 3600 miles round trip and my most recent CT to TN to NC to CT 2766 Miles round trip.

The experience is Breathtaking since most of my travleing to date has been in a pickup car or Plane.

There is just something about traveling in your living room and seeing the country.

I also Bought a Tow dolly so I can take a car along, this is a whole other debate that took tons of research before I decided this is the best route for ME.

Remember you will hear both sides of every debate, So You must decide what is Best for YOU.

I don't see any reason to purchase a 18 Year Old vehicle regardless of how many new parts are on it for 95K, it is still 18 years old and only carries a value of an 18 year Old coach of that model.

There is far too much new technology in Drivetrains, suspension and House to do so.

Tags