Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

RV Opinions and Tow Vehicle

I am going to buy a Class A shortly and have narrowed down to coachmen and holiday rambler in my price range. I had thor on my list but heard not so good things. Any ideas?
Also, will I need a tow vehicle right away or can I do without for awhile.
bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you looking at used or new???

We had a class C and couldn't tow a vehicle, on rare occasions we would drive a separate vehicle usually on longer duration trips. The Class C was ~30' long and not to bad to drive around town.

We went 1 year without a towed vehicle after we got the ~40' Class A, it was more difficult to get around town etc. We now tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Some people use a rental car as a toad. I would consider that option if just starting out. I do prefer having my Chevrolet Colorado toad especially when we go to the coast, it is full of generator, coolers and fishing junk.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #4

X2 on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Great towed...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
I am going to buy a Class A shortly and have narrowed down to coachmen and holiday rambler in my price range. I had thor on my list but heard not so good things. Any ideas?
You also might just get a tow dolly and tow whatever car you have! We started with a dolly and towed our Toyota Camry for the first couple of years! It is definitely nicer towing 4 down, but you don't have the upfront expense, especially if you have a car that you can't tow 4 wheels down unless you get a lube pump! Regards
Old 08-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Some people use a rental car as a toad. I would consider that option if just starting out. I do prefer having my Chevrolet Colorado toad especially when we go to the coast, it is full of generator, coolers and fishing junk.
Ditto. I love my crew cab Colorado. I put a tonneau cover on the bed and use it as extra storage. Thought about putting a camper shell on it for more storage.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a Jeep Wrangler Sport four down. Initially we rented as we needed to get around, but having your own vehicle is a better option IMHO.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #8

If you tow a Jeep you have a lot of fun options when you get there. It gave us lots of entertained with different groups and also took us to scenery that we never would have seen. If you want a regular-type car, the new Jeep Cherokee is a luxury car inside - very comfortable seating for four with lots of room and it will take you to special places. We used the Jeep Liberty for 8 full-timing years and put 185,000 miles on it with no major repairs. Unfortunately, they aren't made anymore...the Cherokee took its place. Note that the Cherokee is quite different from the Grand Cherokee.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
I submit that for new, Holiday Rambler is just a brand that went out of business and was revived by REV vehicles. Coachman is a good brand, but no better than any Thor Motor Coach model line. With a thorough pre-sale inspection any RV can be worry free. They ALL have issues from the factory...it's called a "punch list" when you buy a new home. Buy what fits your needs best

About a car/dingy/toad. If you already have a car, you can rent a dolly from U-Haul or similar to see what you need on the road (we did this 3 times before committing to a purchase for a toad). Some people rent cars at their destination too (Enterprise will pick you up). We found that we really need a car while at the destinations we frequent, but not everyone does.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

Too much of a subjective question for me to get involved in. Best advice I can give is you need to realize this will not be your last Motorhome, nor toad. Once we start to get experience with it we learn what we don't like and want in the next one.

A workable floor plan, after so many other factors, is generally most important. Buy what you like and can afford, enjoy it for what it is knowing something else is in your future. You won't know exactly what that is until you start camping.

You wanted an opinion, that's mine. Get out there and enjoy.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow