Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #1

RV outlets work on generator, but not shore power

Hello, I was hoping for some help on this. I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 33B. All electrical components (microwave, lights, both side outlets, etc,) work fine when using Generator, but when switching over to shore power only, the passenger side RV outlets do not work anymore, as they should. All other electrical, including driver side outlets work fine when on shore power. I have checked the push breakers for the outlets under fridge, breakers behind door, and passenger side outlet GFI. This seems to all be fine. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #2

When you switch from shore to generator do you need to plug the shore cord into a special outlet running from the generator.. or do you have a transfer switch that automatically switches the power for you?

If you do not have an automatic transfer switch and you are plugging your coach in with the shore cord, are you using any adapters to plug it into the shore outlet? Perhaps like a 30amp to standard 15amp adapter? If so, you could have a bad adapter.

If you do have an automatic transfer switch then it's possible that the wiring at the transfer switch (for the shore side) has become loose, burnt or the transfer switch contact points are dirty or burnt.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
You need to start at the transfer switch. Find out if you have voltage getting to both input lugs (L1 & L2) from the shore power cord. If not, verify power at the receptacle the power cord plugs into. If so, make sure all connections are clean and tight. If you still do not get power to pass thru on one of the legs; you have a bad transfer switch.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #4

Indeed welcome.

I agree with the above posts - L1 or L2 from the shore power is not getting to your power panel. I would first check the pedistal to see if power is there on both legs, Then check the power Plug (s) and work your way to the Transfer Switch. As they noted - check connections - often they become loose and can be a fire source.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

This has happened to me twice.
the first time the campground pedestal was at fault
the second time my cord had a burnt prong.
Are you at a campground and do you have 50 amp plug(4 prong)
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

Yes, my RV has a transfer switch and automatically switches from genset to shorepower. I will check the plug and make sure both legs has power and then go to the transfer switch. The microwave works fine. Wouldn't that need power from both legs of the plug or is it capable of running on one leg of power?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Most everything works on only one leg unless you have a rare appliance that use 240Vac. You can see what fuses are connected to each leg in the power distribution panel. Have never seen a 240v powered microwave in the US or Canada.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

Thanks Libero. The pedistal is good. I will check the plugs/power cords and work my way to the transfer switch. This seems like the most logical idea.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Good plan and if you are not comfortable working with hot 120vac circuits, you might want to shut your gen down and unplug the shore power when you take.the cover off the transfer switch to tighten connections and then do a continuity check from your plug to the transfer switch shore power side. If both L1 & L2 show continuity then plug in to the pedistal and measure the voltage on one side from the power cord and voltage on the side going to the electrical.panel. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suspect list.. Alas I really do not have a favorite here.

1: Park pedestal, IS THERE power to the outlet?
2:Shore cord, epically if it is detachable. I had one neighbor where the Marinco connector came off in his hand, all six screws inside the cover were loose. Fixed it for him with his help.
3: The other end if the plug is not molded on and welded connections.
4: the inlet, one of my screws needed a bit of torquing.
5: Transfer switch (mine failed, but it failed in "SHORE" not "GENNY")
6: That is the end of the list, less there is a bad wire somewhere, (Very very very low on the chart).

IF you are using an adapter, say 30-50 or 50-30 it is suspect as well.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

Thanks Libero! It was the exterior shorepower cord/plug, as you thought. Two of the wires had come loose in the plug. I took it all apart and rebuilt it and now works perfectly. Thank so much and everyone else that offered ideas. Great site for help!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasdingo View Post
Thanks Libero! It was the exterior shorepower cord/plug, as you thought. Two of the wires had come loose in the plug. I took it all apart and rebuilt it and now works perfectly. Thank so much and everyone else that offered ideas. Great site for help!
Glad you found the problem and fixed it. It had to be one of the items myself and others noted. It is always a good idea to routinely check every electrical (12Vdc and 120Vdc) connection you can get to. This means taking the cover off your transfer switch and tightening everything there also, as well as at the power distribution panel etc. A hot area might also mean a bad connection.

Good to see all is well again.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #13

Oops I realized I put 120Vdc - I am certain everyone read 120Vac because this was my intent. Guess I had a senior moment

Tags
generator, power