Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I try to arrive earlier in the afternoon to avoid late afternoon dinnertime rush. At places we plan to stay a week, more times than not, we arrive on a Sunday.
I prefer to arrive on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Arriving on Sunday can be complicated because many parks have late check out, so the site might not be available until after 5pm. Also, I like to visit the dump station before parking at an electric-only site and there's frequently a line anytime on a Sunday during the summer or when the weather is nice.

Still, nothing is worse than trying to check-in to a state park after 5pm on a Friday during the summer. The employees and computer system is usually slower than commercial RV parks, and then there's all the campers that don't have a clue about which site they want, how long their RV is, or what kind of electric service they need.

Fortunately, my smartphone keeps me entertained enough not to become angry.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #30

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Easy now ! I think some of you are being unfair to the OP. His complaints are legitimate. I also agree that there are times they are requesting useless (check in ) information. Many places we use will ask for it when we make reservations. Type and size of unit, credit card info etc. Now if you don't have reservations then maybe you have to allow for some of what you consider useless info gathering time.

Training newbies is always a PITA. They do have to learn but they should be learning over someone's shoulder before they are set loose and they really should be acquainted with the park before they start the checking in job. Naturally that is just my opinion. Everyone has their own take on it.

I would be interested in knowing the actual useless info they were requesting. There are times we may view something as useless but they would have need for. The problem is their need versus my privacy. They may "NEED" my email address but for what ? If they need it for advertising purposes, then they don't really need it. They certainly do not need it for billing or security purposes. Not sure why they need a phone number. I've never had a CG call me and I really don't want yet another salesman ringing my phone.

All in all I've generally had smooth check ins but I admit that there have been some that could have been better. Oh well .........
I usually make up email addresses. I do not give a home phone number but I will give the cell number. If we are away and something untoward occurs, I would like them to be able to reach me. Basically, I give them what "I" think they need.
joemusic321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
You can give them anything for stuff like phone number, nearest relative, etc. They have no way of verifying that info.
What would be the point in that? I'm not planning a scam when I check in, and in a medical (or any) emergency I want them to know who to call.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #32

Spartan Chassis
In a well run park the check-in and checkout times have a purpose. Someone has to have the time to clean the site for the next customer. The time interval between check-in and check-out is also used to clean the restrooms, empty the trash, and clean laundry room. Emergency repairs, such as water stand pipes and sprinklers, often occur as customers leave.

Most RV'ers are nice people and the park rules, such asking you clean up after your dog, are not needed. It is the few that some rules have to handle.

It is frustrating after a long drive to deal with the check-in process. Try to help the poor trainee learn the job by being Patient with them.

Mom and Pop parks are our favorite parks. Corporate parks I try to avoid.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
We travel a lot and have found that many times the arrival check in process at rv parks, or any park for that matter, can many times be lengthy and down right aggravating.
I find that some have the whole 'we'll need all your personal information, family history, and mother-in-laws social security number' to check you in and take your money. Or, today they decided to 'train' the newbie behind the counter, while 3 or 4 of us day long travelers wait in line.

Some parks actually 'get' the business and make the process easy and quick, but unfortunately, these are far and few in between.

I experienced both the last two days - one was 'training' the newbie, who did'nt yet know the difference between a 'trailer' and a motorcoach, couldn't figure out how to get the 'compruter' to accept the PassportAmerica discount, took another several minutes to find out which sites would 'accept' my length coach, and then acted as though he had to then 'read and explain' all the rules of the park while I and several others in line could only roll our eyes with inpatience, as though we had never 'stayed' at an rv park before - which I'm sure was actually him.

The other arrival today was a breeze - no computer, no family information required, nothing but my money - and, by the way, choose your own site! Nice.

RV park owners - are you listening??
Boondocking has very fast checking plus you get to pick your own site. No questions asked,
Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #34

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." George Carlin
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #35

One of the most long drawn out checkins we experienced was in a Northeastern coastal state park where they demanded original, not copies, of our vehicle registration paperwork for both the coach and the toad, proof of insurance for both, license tag numbers for both vehicles, plus a veterinarian signed rabies certificate and the actual rabies tags from our pets! Now that took time to round up the cat's, remove the collars and go back inside. The reason? They said they had a vehicle accident earlier in the year and the one of the vehicles did not have insurance, and they had a dog who was sick looking and didn't have a rabies tag. They said they started the intense document checking to see how widespread the problem was.

That was the most information and the longest check-in we have ever experienced.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #36

New Horizons Owners Club
We just pass on the difficult campgrounds with a "thank you, goodbye"
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Best check-in experience (with a reservation) was being met by the office staff as we pulled in, no need to even exit the coach. They handed us a packet of info thru the passengers window, park map on top with site# and directions to get there marked clearly. Stilled wowed by that one.

Hmmmm... That sounds like Disney's Fort Wilderness.

That place is magical! 😄
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #38

dont sweat the small stuff

Everywhere you go in life there are problems to deal with. I decided long ago that if we just step back and take a breath and thank the good lord that we are where we are today because of him and there are many blessings all around us that will more than offset the trivial stuff we encounter on a daily basis. One phone call from the doctor will put everything in perspective however sometimes that is too late. Always look for the good in a bad situation and you will realize the things we fret the most over are not important at all. If you have to stand in line too long or put up with people who are trying to learn just think of all the people in hospitals and nursing homes that would trade places with you in a heart break. Most of us are seniors and are on the down hill slide of our lives so just enjoy every second of everyday because one day you will not have that choice. We live in very troubled times and we are all so blessed to do what we are doing but we can't do it if we put all the worldly issues on our backs and let the worry of trivial issues offset what we have been so blessed to be doing. Our Lord never promised us a smooth flight just a smooth landing. Happy Rving to all!!
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Folks, there are other RV sites that attack every post with derogatory comments no mater what the subject, let not take IRV2 to that level. The OP has a legitimate concern.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Everywhere you go in life there are problems to deal with. I decided long ago that if we just step back and take a breath and thank the good lord that we are where we are today because of him and there are many blessings all around us that will more than offset the trivial stuff we encounter on a daily basis. One phone call from the doctor will put everything in perspective however sometimes that is too late. Always look for the good in a bad situation and you will realize the things we fret the most over are not important at all. If you have to stand in line too long or put up with people who are trying to learn just think of all the people in hospitals and nursing homes that would trade places with you in a heart break. Most of us are seniors and are on the down hill slide of our lives so just enjoy every second of everyday because one day you will not have that choice. We live in very troubled times and we are all so blessed to do what we are doing but we can't do it if we put all the worldly issues on our backs and let the worry of trivial issues offset what we have been so blessed to be doing. Our Lord never promised us a smooth flight just a smooth landing. Happy Rving to all!!
Good Post and so true......When you feel inconvenienced for any reason, or things just aren't going your way just be happy that you are blessed to be in a situation that being held up for a few minutes is your biggest problem. Yes it is annoying but there could be a lot more worse things to have to deal with.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
One of the most long drawn out checkins we experienced was in a Northeastern coastal state park where they demanded original, not copies, of our vehicle registration paperwork for both the coach and the toad, proof of insurance for both, license tag numbers for both vehicles, plus a veterinarian signed rabies certificate and the actual rabies tags from our pets! Now that took time to round up the cat's, remove the collars and go back inside. The reason? They said they had a vehicle accident earlier in the year and the one of the vehicles did not have insurance, and they had a dog who was sick looking and didn't have a rabies tag. They said they started the intense document checking to see how widespread the problem was.

That was the most information and the longest check-in we have ever experienced.
We'd have said "Bye!"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Hmmmm... That sounds like Disney's Fort Wilderness.

That place is magical! 😄

Nice to know that! We're looking forward to going there. Our experience was at Pacific Shores in Newport Oregon. One of our favorite relax by the ocean places.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote