Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #1

RV Park electrical hook up

If my motor home is 30 Amp, how do I get 30 Amp service at a full hook up site? Is there two different service connections.

Thank you,
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #2

Almost all campgrounds have 20A and 30A service, and many also have 50A service. Make sure the pedestal breaker is in the off position and then plug in. Breakers are labeled.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #3

Yes, the service connections are separate. The 50 amp plug has a different configuration than the 30 amp plug. You can't get it wrong!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

The picture is a typical power box found in RV parks with both 50A and also 30A power connections. While there are some variations in what they look like, you should be able to recognize each at any location. #1 is the typical 20A, 120V outlet. #2 is the RV 120V, 30A outlet and #3 is the RV version of 50A outlet and is what we call 120/240V supply. Note that you can not plug an RV into the wrong one because of plug configuration.

In the circuit breakers, #1 is the typical 20A circuit breaker, #2 is a 30A circuit breaker and #3 is a double breaker with each rated at 50A. Properly designed power pedestals will always have a circuit breaker for each outlet on it and you should always open the appropriate breaker before you connect or disconnect your RV.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post

The picture is a typical power box found in RV parks with both 50A and also 30A power connections. While there are some variations in what they look like, you should be able to recognize each at any location. #1 is the typical 20A, 120V outlet. #2 is the RV 120V, 30A outlet and #3 is the RV version of 50A outlet and is what we call 120/240V supply. Note that you can not plug an RV into the wrong one because of plug configuration.

In the circuit breakers, #1 is the typical 20A circuit breaker, #2 is a 30A circuit breaker and #3 is a double breaker with each rated at 50A. Properly designed power pedestals will always have a circuit breaker for each outlet on it and you should always open the appropriate breaker before you connect or disconnect your RV.

Very good helpful primer!
Unfortunately, a number of campgrounds have power pedestals with 50, 30 and/or 20/15 Amp receptacles where the respective circuit breakers are NOT accessible to the user. In this case, it appears we have no choice but to plug our RV into a live receptacle.
Other than using a portable or hard wired surge guard device (which we do), does anyone have additional advice on properly plugging in under these circumstances to reduce any potential electrical risks, surges or damage? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hugh View Post
Unfortunately, a number of campgrounds have power pedestals with 50, 30 and/or 20/15 Amp receptacles where the respective circuit breakers are NOT accessible to the user. In this case, it appears we have no choice but to plug our RV into a live receptacle.
Other than using a portable or hard wired surge guard device (which we do), does anyone have additional advice on properly plugging in under these circumstances to reduce any potential electrical risks, surges or damage? Thanks!
A GOOD Surger Protector such as a Progressive is your last line of defence. It will not turn on power until it has confirmed the source is acceptable.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
A GOOD Surger Protector such as a Progressive is your last line of defence. It will not turn on power until it has confirmed the source is acceptable.
I agree... Get good surge protector. I also bought a Progressive and I love it.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I got this from another thread.
http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm
I think it was originally posted by Dr 4 Flim.
I built one and it works. Gives you the chance to check the power at the pedestal before you even go near it with your shore cable. Using a 50 to 30 Amp dog bone you can use it to check a 30 Amp plug.

Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

If you do have a SurgeGuard brand EMS, which it sounds like you do, don't think that it is not the right tool for the job just because some are telling you to buy a Progressive Industries EMS. The SurgeGuard will do just fine. However, if you don't have a real EMS, you should consider purchasing and using one. Most here prefer the Progressive Industries unit because of its lifetime warranty, but you can't go wrong with either brand. I own a SurgeGuard and it has really done its job for me over the years. If it ever dies on me, I will probably purchase a Progressive Industries unit.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hugh View Post
RV Main breaker ??
Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We do use a hardwired TRC Surge Guard Plus 40240 (120/240V 50 Amp) Power Protection Monitor with Remote LCD Display, which I installed shortly after delivery of our coach 5 years ago. It has served us well over the years alerting us to problems on several occasions and providing the protection it is designed to do.
I generally conduct a preliminary screen of the power pedestal with the elementary device pictured below for 15/20 and 30 Amp outlets before plugging in the power cord.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408901338.617987.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	71839
I am impressed with the more comprehensive 50 Amp Tester described above in post #8, which I have documented for the purpose of a future project.
On occasion I have supplemented evaluation of the power outlet with a multimeter as indicated.
Turning off the RV Main Breaker prior to plugging in to a live outlet would protect all circuits/electronics/ appliances serviced by the Main Panel, which of course is supplied after the power is processed by the Surge Guard.
Bottom line appears to be that the RV is ultimately protected by the surge guard device, either TRC or PI, in any event, whether the park outlet in "off" or "on" at the time of plugging in!
Upon reflection, it appears I may have inadvertently high jacked the purpose of the OPs specific query. Please accept my sincere apologies. Hopefully he has learned as much as I have from this informative discussion. Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
This is what I came up with. Ugly but functional. I always check the pedestal before plugging in my surge protector. I have adaptors for 20 and 50 amp. also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_143150.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	71847  

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical