Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

RV parked for 2 years

We own an Coachman aurora that has been parked for the past 2 years. I know it has not been winterized and has a full tank of gas. Batteries are now dead. The gas tank is full.
My husband passed in Nov and now the estate wants to sell the RV. Not knowing what is wrong with it they are asking a very low price. I would like to get it out to an RV dealer for a good check up but don't know if I should attempt to start it. I know I can pickup a new battery and some stabilizer for the gas. Should I even try?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Smile Sitting 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckleface View Post
We own an Coachman aurora that has been parked for the past 2 years. I know it has not been winterized and has a full tank of gas. Batteries are now dead. The gas tank is full.
My husband passed in Nov and now the estate wants to sell the RV. Not knowing what is wrong with it they are asking a very low price. I would like to get it out to an RV dealer for a good check up but don't know if I should attempt to start it. I know I can pickup a new battery and some stabilizer for the gas. Should I even try?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Freckleface..
First.. I am very sorry to hear of your loss...
A running driving motorhome will be worth much more money and be much easier to sell..
First Stabilizer would have had to be added before sitting.. Are you sure your husband didn't put some in before letting it set?
In any case I would try to get the rig started. Put a fresh battery in it and perhaps get someone with just a bit of mechanical ability add some fuel into the carburetor and start it.. Chances are it will go. May not run the best with the old fuel in it but perhaps could be siphoned out and fresh fuel added after starting it.. Then add Sea Foam (a cleaner available at most parts stores) change the fuel filters and it should be good to go..
Good luck..
Ron

Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Freckleface..
Just another thought..
Don't have it towed to a place and let them have at it.. They will try to sell you (Or many will) a lot of maintenance stuff you really don't want to do if you want to sell it.. Just get it running and sell it.. Chances are very good it will run just fine..
Ron
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

What is the make and model and year of this RV. Also where in the country are you located. This would help us decide what needs to be done and if it may have cold weather damage from frozen pipes and stuff. It may start and run just fine, and maybe a local RVer could help you get it going.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

X2 what KSCRUDE says.

And, I'd add that you can post a help needed flyer at your local RV parks. There are probably several folks that would love to help you get it up and running and check it over for you. I know I would.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. Looks like you're getting some good advice here. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

Love to hear how you make out
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Freckleface..
First.. I am very sorry to hear of your loss...
A running driving motorhome will be worth much more money and be much easier to sell..
First Stabilizer would have had to be added before sitting.. Are you sure your husband didn't put some in before letting it set?
In any case I would try to get the rig started. Put a fresh battery in it and perhaps get someone with just a bit of mechanical ability add some fuel into the carburetor and start it.. Chances are it will go. May not run the best with the old fuel in it but perhaps could be siphoned out and fresh fuel added after starting it.. Then add Sea Foam (a cleaner available at most parts stores) change the fuel filters and it should be good to go..
Good luck..
Ron
Thank you for the kind words. He did not add stabilizer that I do know. I had planned on getting a battery so I will see what happens there. Too bad it has a full tank of gas when he parked it. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
What is the make and model and year of this RV. Also where in the country are you located. This would help us decide what needs to be done and if it may have cold weather damage from frozen pipes and stuff. It may start and run just fine, and maybe a local RVer could help you get it going.
It is a 2003 Coachmen Aurora. I am in Indianapolis if you know someone local I would sure appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
X2 what KSCRUDE says.

And, I'd add that you can post a help needed flyer at your local RV parks. There are probably several folks that would love to help you get it up and running and check it over for you. I know I would.
Sure wish you were available. This might be a great deal for someone looking for an RV. It only has 3200 miles on it.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should have a Mobile RV Repairman in your area that maybe listed in yellow pages that can change battery and check it out for you.
Maybe some posted in the RV Parks.
Sorry for your lost.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
It may actually be good that it had a full tank. That can help prevent moisture and rust build up. Also, being a 2003 it should be fuel injected, which is also good.

I would put in a fresh battery and crank it over.

When my father in law died he had a 1973 Caddy sitting in his garage, with a full tank of gas. We let it sit there for four years without touching it. When we finally put a new battery in it fired right up and we drove it 165 miles home.

Also sorry for your loss.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

Freckleface,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Here are a couple of links that others have posted on this forum. Hope they can help you find someone to help get your MH started.

RV Service Reviews
http://rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=IN

TruckDown
Truck Service & Repair Near Me!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

It should run fine...but be carefull.

You want it to crank for awhile, check the oil first, if black change it first.

If oil filter is vertical have it filled with fresh oil

Check tranny fluid level.

Next, when you put the key in turn it instantly, you want it to turn the engine before fuel pressure builds up.

If it fires turn the key OFF AT ONCE!

Wait one minute and do it again, do this about there times.

You are insuring oil pressure in all bearrings.

Now start it WITHOUT TOUCHING GAS PEDAL.

The computer will run fast idle then slow engine as it warms up, the goal is to keep engine RPM low until warmed up to insure oil everywhere it should be, this just due to long storage time.

The computer will compensate for poor fuel, it should run okay as long as there is no water in it.

If it needs a smog inspection the old gas needs to be driven out or removed, can be sold off as "lawnmower gas" if it needs to be removed, local gardeners can syphon the gas out for the gas, or they can pay you a couple bucks a gallon for it.

We use harvested fuel often, usually when someone puts gas in the diesel tank, converter and computer does not like it but the lawnmower does not care.