Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
flaggship1
Those pics look very much like many of the $8-$12 a night COE, (U.S. Army Crops of Engineers), State Park and private campgrounds, (with no coach age restrictions), that we stay in between Nov-March each year.
Mel
'96 Safari
That's great Mel - like I've never stayed in a TVA or COE or state park or national park... lol. I even have the Golden Access Lifetime Passport (since 1991) and stay in great places for next to nothing, sometimes even for nothing. Anyone who has done this for any time at all knows the score. Ya stay where Ya want and where you can afford - and sometimes - you're not wanted due to age (not 55 or over), or for having kids, or dogs of a certain breed, or number of dogs, or age of coach, and even type of rig these days. I have seen where only Class As are allowed and exclude $350 k Dymamax or "non-As".

It's pretty simple really. But if you're in Marble Falls Texas - and want to be on the lake, Sunset is a nice place to stay. Riverview is in town but not quite as nice for that reason, and it's a bit terraced so can be a little challenging depending.

Some think Sunset is nice enough to pay $17k+ a year for a upscale waterfront site. That's what's great about this country. Private park owners can make their rules and we can choose to go there or not. The idea that one place is better than another is purely subjective and choice. And for me - price isn't really a deciding factor. If I want to be somewhere - I'll pay the freight.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #30

Our rig is a 1999...and it keeps us busy making it looking good. Lotsa paint sprayed this last month...peeling clearcoat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0050.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	98195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	98196  

Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I camp in a 1964 Airstream trailer and have run into this repeatedly at private parks. That said, I've never been asked to leave or been turned away. These park owners want decent looking well maintained rigs but they want a simple way to refuse what they consider "riff-raff". Hence the limitation.

With older vintage rigs there may be legitimate concern about sanitation issues as well... unless the rig has been updated to have modern plumbing and tanks, they have a blue boy tucked up under the trailer. At some parks these are not allowed.

My trailer has been restored, has holding tanks and is shiny enough to kill grass. Most rv park operators can't really tell the difference between a new rv and an older one if they are well maintained.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64 overlander 22.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	98197

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
We recently purchased our first used DP - 2002 Fleetwood Expedition - that is in decent (not showroom but not an eyesore) condition. We are hoping to snowbird this winter, and are currently looking at sites in Florida, Southern Texas, and Arizona. Many of these places have a 10 year rule (or manager's "approval") stipulation, and some require a current photo prior to accepting a reservation. I'll be really disappointed if we can't pass the inspection - repainting the RV is simply not in the budget. Maybe we'll try a nice wash/wax and take a photo of the good side when there's lots of glare from the sun covering the faded areas...
Hose down the coach before you take the photo, with sun behind you. It'll shine like a new penny.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I don't really care one way or the other but I do wish the rule was prominently displayed on their website, brochure, and all camping guides. Don't make us all search thru the fine print.
Looks pretty prominent on the website to me: Sunset Pt Website

In large bold lettering: "RVs more than 10 years old must be approved by Park management before arrival at Park."

I agree with others, this is much like zoning ordinances and meant to protect others from being parked next to the Clampett family. Send a pic of your older rig and if it's not a rolling wreck, sounds like there's not likely to be any issue. Don't think they're targeting well cared for vintage rigs.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This same post comes up about 3-4 times a year and the same "lemmings" jump up and down and say, "we'll spend our money elsewhere". Really, it's been explained a 100 times why the rule is in place and it's not to discriminate against ANYONE. It's to protect the park from rolling meth labs and ma and pa kettle showing up in a covered wagon.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This same post comes up about 3-4 times a year and the same "lemmings" jump up and down and say, "we'll spend our money elsewhere". Really, it's been explained a 100 times why the rule is in place and it's not to discriminate against ANYONE. It's to protect the park from rolling meth labs and ma and pa kettle showing up in a covered wagon.
Dutch Star Don
I agree nearly 100%.
However I do NOT agree that the policy is not discriminating against ANYONE.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Dutch Star Don
I agree nearly 100%.
However I do NOT agree that the policy is not discriminating against ANYONE.
Mel
'96 Safari
No more or less than - No Shirt No Shoes No Service. No Smoking. No Smoking Cigars or Pipes. No Guns In Bar. No glass on beach. No Swimming this area. No surfing.

If every exclusion is discrimination - then you're right. Otherwise - it's a concensus or valid reason.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
My question is would you really want to stay at a place or with people who think this is a good idea???
Not me. I really have a problem having to beg someone to take my money.

My rig passed the 10 year mark this year and just last week someone said they thought it was newer. I've only come across a couple of parks that had that rule and suspect even now I would not be turned away.

Now that my rig is older, so I am so later this year I look forward to no longer being turned away due to MY age (meaning those insulting 55+ resorts that are beyond my reach for another few months!).
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Looks pretty prominent on the website to me: Sunset Pt Website

In large bold lettering: "RVs more than 10 years old must be approved by Park management before arrival at Park."
Yes it does. I was referring to ALL resorts/campgrounds ... not Sunset.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I camp in a 1964 Airstream trailer and have run into this repeatedly at private parks. That said, I've never been asked to leave or been turned away. These park owners want decent looking well maintained rigs but they want a simple way to refuse what they consider "riff-raff". Hence the limitation.

With older vintage rigs there may be legitimate concern about sanitation issues as well... unless the rig has been updated to have modern plumbing and tanks, they have a blue boy tucked up under the trailer. At some parks these are not allowed.

My trailer has been restored, has holding tanks and is shiny enough to kill grass. Most rv park operators can't really tell the difference between a new rv and an older one if they are well maintained.

Attachment 98197
Why are you towing around a mirror?...oh...oh...that's an Airstream!.......Nice!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
I have stayed in a couple of parks/resorts with the 10-12 year rule...........everyone of them has surpassed my expectations by a big number, most of them, on a 1-10 scale.......they have a 125 ! They have rules for a reason, their rules, just as we all have rules we follow, and our rules are all different......that we follow, just like theirs.
I have never been asked for a photo, or even asked what year our Coach is when we roll in.......
Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #41

This is my rig. I don't see any reason why I can't stay anywhere I want. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435178873.750305.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	98223
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Why are you towing around a mirror?...oh...oh...that's an Airstream!.......Nice!
LOL - one of the funnier things that happens at parks is that folks sometimes come up and primp in the reflection.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs