Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

RV parks refusing RV's older than 12 years

This is crazy!! Sunset Point, Lake LBJ, Marble Falls. RV's more than 10 years old must be pre-approved. Down further in their ad... RV's must be 12 years old or newer!!! Are you kidding me!!! My 1999 (40 ft) country coach looks better than any new one! I get it, they don't want rag tag RV's.... but this is crazy!! I guess business is good? Is this common practice!
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I wouldn't say it's common, but has been reported from many "RV Resorts".

If you send them a photo of your RV looking good (not rag tag) the rule seems to go away.

The decision is then to support or not support these CG's because of the rule...a personal choice.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hello & welcome to iRV2.

It's not common, but there are private CG's out there that have such restrictions. From what I've read, most will welcome older RV's once you can prove you aren't bringing in a rattle-trap, broken-down, oil-leaking Clampett-style eyesore of an RV.

Our coach will be 10 next year, but I expect no problems with refusals as it looks just as good as the day it rolled out of the factory thanks to a diligent maintenance schedule.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club

The owners have stock in the RV manufacture companies. J/K
Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post

The owners have stock in the RV manufacture companies. J/K
OR the rv companies have stock in campgrounds!!
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
It's O.K., I will take the money I earned ten years ago (before retirement) elsewhere.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

I see posts like this occasionally, but I have yet to find a place that wouldn't let me in with my 19 year old fifth wheel.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
This is crazy!! Sunset Point, Lake LBJ, Marble Falls. RV's more than 10 years old must be pre-approved. Down further in their ad... RV's must be 12 years old or newer!!! Are you kidding me!!! My 1999 (40 ft) country coach looks better than any new one! I get it, they don't want rag tag RV's.... but this is crazy!! I guess business is good? Is this common practice!
Are you looking at a current ad? I live near there and the last time I checked they had rescinded that rule. Contact them direct to check and worse case scenario they might request a photo or two.

We just returned from a trip to a brand new, "resort" in New Mexico that has the same rule posted. We emailed them, enclosed a few pics of my rig and my friend's '96 Safari and the response was "your MH's look great... looking forward to meeting you!" I don't care for the rule in principal but I do understand the purpose. Don't stress over it and decide if you want to conform to their policies or not. There are plenty of other places to stay and enjoy your RV. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your travels.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
HHg

We stay at Sunset Pointe on LBJ quite often. They stay pretty booked from Spring till Fall.......I don't think their policy is hurting their business. But I agree with others, send a pic and ask for a waiver.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Since I own lots in a couple of RV "resorts" both of which have such rules, it's strictly a safeguard, as others have said, to prevent extremely run-down RVs. I'm glad it's in place and am also glad whenever I pay to rent a site in an RV park as I don't necessarily want to be amongst extremely old and run-down RVs. I would venture to guess that 99% of RV parks that have such restrictions will gladly lift them once it's demonstrated that the RV is in nice condition no matter how old it may be. After all, the owner of a brand new RV and one that is 15-years old that is in pristine condition have the same color money.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
I haven't camped their yet, but their rates go up to $80/night... Pretty pricey.

Call and ask. They're trying to keep up an image and if you've ever been to some run down RV parks, you might understand why.

Remember, it's THEIR property and they can run it as they see fit. I assume you'd expect someone to follow the rules in your home, right? This is theirs...

Personally, I've seen some trashed 10 year old RVs and I've seen some 15 year old RVs that looked like they rolled off the show room... They're just trying to filter clients.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #12

My question is would you really want to stay at a place or with people who think this is a good idea???
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
My question is would you really want to stay at a place or with people who think this is a good idea???
Honestly, yes. I've stayed at some place where I wish there was a little bit less diversity to the gene pool... I'm really not a snob, but when it's past 10pm, I'm not appreciative of loud behavior. I don't care what the rig looks like next to me as long as the owner behaves like a human.

And I'll remind you, I don't fit the bill to get their "Class-A" only waterfront sites..

It's not a solution for every problem, but likely it weeds some people out. Ever stayed at a public park where your neighbor was up partying all night or had 14 cars parked in a single space?

There's also a big atmosphere difference in parks that are largely "full time" with RVs that are on the older side and parks that cater to people staying nights/weekends. My guess is that you'd need to experience one to know what I mean. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you will run across a lot of people with more free time than usual that have a very low cost of living.

I had a rig that was right at 10 years old, I'd have absolutely no issue asking for a "case by case" exclusion with a photo and details about myself.

Personally, I'm more offended by the "age limits" that I see at many parks. IE -there were some great parks here locally that I couldn't long term at while building a house because I wasn't over 55... It's not like I'm going to behave any better when I retire.. I expect the exact opposite!

But again, this is private property in America. They have the right to restrict as they see fit. As long as they don't tell me what to do on my property, I've got no problem with them posting clear rules on theirs.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #14

Just after I got my truck conversion, I contacted a "resort" in Las Vegas. Because it resembles a Class C I was denied entry. Oh well, their loss not mine-found a nice park at a lesser rate just down the street.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs