RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #29

Wow!!! Nobody mentioned a pull thru. If possible a pull thru would be my choice.

As far as concrete strength is concerned, 3000lb concrete is irrelevant when talking about cracking. Control joints are all that will effect weather or where it cracks. I would recommend not using fiberglass reinforced concrete but rather wire mesh to stop the seperation of the slab when it does crack and it will... either directly under where proper construction joints are placed or in the ablsence of, anywhere it wants to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Wow!!! Nobody mentioned a pull thru. If possible a pull thru would be my choice.
Yep, I wish I could have done that. My son lives in the country at an intersection. After 20 years of using an old converted small barn for his workshop and other things stored in a building that could come down with a big wind, he built a new one for everything. 80'X110' with a dividing wall down the center One half of the south half is for his motorhome and trailer. He pulls in on the west end with trailer and pulls out on the east end. @ 78' long he still has plenty of room at both ends. Full hookups inside with sewer dump and a heated floor. We have always been a little competitive, but to protect our coach from the Wisconsin winters, we go to AZ in Oct and return in May.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Yep, I wish I could have done that. My son lives in the country at an intersection. After 20 years of using an old converted small barn for his workshop and other things stored in a building that could come down with a big wind, he built a new one for everything. 80'X110' with a dividing wall down the center One half of the south half is for his motorhome and trailer. He pulls in on the west end with trailer and pulls out on the east end. @ 78' long he still has plenty of room at both ends. Full hookups inside with sewer dump and a heated floor. We have always been a little competitive, but to protect our coach from the Wisconsin winters, we go to AZ in Oct and return in May.
Looks like 'Crasher' wins that competition.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
It's always easier (and safer) to pull in and back out.
Why do you believe that it is "safer" to Pull in and Back out?"
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
One size does not fit all situations. Pulling into a street is safer than backing into the street, so backing into the garage makes sense.”..If you cannot get turned around before having to pull into the street.

If you limit the discussion to strictly getting into the garage (no obstructions outside) then pulling in is obviously easier than backing in as you can see what you are doing as you get into the obstructed garage ...especially if it’s pretty much straight in. ASSuming you have not turned the steering wheel, backing out is check for something behind, put it in reverse, and back out without turning the steering wheel.

Granted many situations are not that simple. My approach to the garage is at a 30° angle making backing in very difficult...fortunately I need the door on the side that pulling in accomplishes. In my situation and probably most, where the motorhome ends up when backing out is not as critical as when pulling into the garage so pulling in is easier.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Did that. First RV "garage" was actually just a 48x70 roof between our barn and our covered arena in Oregon 14' clearance and angled driveway to get in/out was challenging for our 43' Ellipse w/tag, much easier with our previous 36' Tropical.

Second RV garage in Lake Havasu City AZ was 20x60 with 14x14 roll-up doors on each end. This allowed us to drive in or out from either end. However as things tend to fill up space, even that got tight. Concrete floor and driveways.

Third (and I hope last) RV Garage in Prescott AZ is in a 60x60 footprint building, the RV part of that is 36x60, insulated and heated. 14x14 doors on each end to drive thru, and 10x10 doors for the truck and boat to drive thru. I've got 50A power in the middle of the building on both sides so no matter which way I drive in, I can connect power easily without having to run it under the coach. Concrete floor, gravel drive for now. Standard 3000psi concrete, no issues with concrete, both concrete floor garages were saw cut into ~ 10' squares. Of course now with RV, truck (F250Crew cab), boat and tractor in there, even that's getting full!

With all 3 RV garages, the coach gets brought up to the house to load/unload.

You never, ever have enough space!

And FWIW I second painting lines on the concrete to guide driving in and parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Garage.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	207032  
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Build it pull through.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #36

Trying to post without success. Thank you for your patience while I try this test message.
fivertravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #37

We just completed are RV Port 6/2018 for a 40ft fiver. It is 40 x 30 on a 40 x 60 lot. We didn't want to go up and down steps to the patio so built a raised deck and have a mobile walk way to put in place when we are there and remove when we take off. It is a balancing act to make sure you place the poles outside the slides. We had a friend build a RV port next to his garage and forgot about his slides so could not put them out when it was parked because of the pole placement. We do get high winds in the area so had it spec'd for 30% over code for the area. We used IRP's (insulated roofing panels) keeps the RV cooler in the summer and great sound insulation as well as protection during hail storms. It also prevents bird nests as there are no nooks and crannies for them to get into vs the w-pan roof some of my neighbors have. We didn't have the option for a pull thru so back in but if the option is available pull thrus are very convenient.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #38

Photo of RV Port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed RV Cover reduced file size for web.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	210772  

Tags
advice