Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

RV Purchase Advice

Hi everybody, my wife and i are close to purchasing an RV and have really narrowed our decision down to two options. I'm kind of stuck on which one to buy.

Both are the same model. Fleetwood bounder 38p.

1- 2007 with under 3k miles. Everything is in great condition. This is from a private seller in Florida and we live in Virginia, so it will cost us some money traveling to view and pick up.

2- 2008 with 17k miles. Condition is not as good. Signs of water damage in ceiling. Ceiling is still solid and no other signs of water damage anywhere. There was also Styrofoam that came out of ac vents which from what i understand scarier by rodents. Price is 3500 less than the other and it is being sold by a dealer 5 hours away.

Just wanted to see if anybody has some advice on which one to purchase. I'm really looking for which one is a better value currently and which will have a better resale value several years down the road.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
florida

I would take the train or bus to Florida and Have the seller pick you up in the RV so you can test drive it. Our experience with dealer sales is not the best they tend to take advantage of you
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Water damage is bad, and I don't like to buy used from a dealer I don't know. 3k is really too few miles, it's been sitting a lot, check the maintenance records.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Water damage is bad, and I don't like to buy used from a dealer I don't know. 3k is really too few miles, it's been sitting a lot, check the maintenance records.
Thanks for the quick responses everybody.

I will ask for maintenance records. They say they drive it a few times a month, just never long distances and have changed the oil regularly.

Seems like the consensus is to avoid dealerships. It's tough when the difference including travel is going to be around $4-5k.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

I wouldn't refuse to buy from a dealer but you might want to ask around about the dealer reputation if you chose to buy from a dealer. Sometimes with a dealer you get at least a 30 day "warranty" which you won't get from a private party. Just my thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
RV Purchase Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrm390 View Post
Hi everybody, my wife and i are close to purchasing an RV and have really narrowed our decision down to two options. I'm kind of stuck on which one to buy.

Both are the same model. Fleetwood bounder 38p.

1- 2007 with under 3k miles. Everything is in great condition. This is from a private seller in Florida and we live in Virginia, so it will cost us some money traveling to view and pick up.

2- 2008 with 17k miles. Condition is not as good. Signs of water damage in ceiling. Ceiling is still solid and no other signs of water damage anywhere. There was also Styrofoam that came out of ac vents which from what i understand scarier by rodents. Price is 3500 less than the other and it is being sold by a dealer 5 hours away.

Just wanted to see if anybody has some advice on which one to purchase. I'm really looking for which one is a better value currently and which will have a better resale value several years down the road.

Thanks!

If this is your two options, IMHO, go with the first.

If you can see some water damage, then you are asking for hidden trouble that could be very costly and even may have mold in the ceiling or walls, etc. $3,500 difference is not worth the potential issues.

Spend some time with the privet owner. Make arrangements with them when they can take some time to be with you. Stay down there for at least two days, unless you can afford to spend more time. Before going down there, spend a lot of time on the phone, get them to send some detailed pictures of things like the tires, with the DOT date, the engine compartment, the bays, the water works, how many hours are on the generator, picture of the generator bay, leveling jacks with pictures of the hydraulic components, etc...

Drive the RV around at least twice, on separate days and don't be in a rush. Ask questions, questions and more questions. Take them out to dinner and interview them as your potential post purchase contacts and assistants. If they are genuine good folks, they will open up to you and give you a lot of good information. They should want to spend time with you and should be considerate of your large purchase from strangers. If they are not, you will know by the way that they treat you, and if that is the case, just walk away. It is not worth it to not feel like you are getting the coach from someone you like and treats you in a friendly manner and with respect.

Remember that it is not the money you will spend up front to get there and and spend some time there, as much as the potential time and money you will spend after the sale when you find all the things that they never told you about.

If it is possible, contact a reputable firm or service provider that you can contract with to go and look over the coach, just like you would have an inspector look over a house you want to buy.

Br sure to buy an extended warranty, and they will want to also check out and certify that all the systems are working correctly before you go down the road. That may cost you $3,000 or $4,000 for a 75,000 mile warenty, but you will then be covered against any major issues and that will bring you a great piece of mind. Wholesale Warranties just joined iRV2 as a sponsor, and I would highly recommend that you contact them about this.

There are several PDI (Pre Delivery inspection) lists floating around in the iRV2 threads that you should search for and print for a list of things to look for when checking out the coach.

Good luck and I hope every thing goes well for you.

Ted
Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

Do your self a favor and if it's got water damage, RUN away fast. These are not your only choices. There are lots of RV's out there and you should look for the best you can get for the money you can spend.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You need to keep looking, IMO.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Water in the RV would kill the deal for me for any RV with water damage

I almost died from an allergic reaction to black mold in a house that I lived in a while back. It took a while, but the diagnosis was something called Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. A few months after I left that house, I was cured.

IMO, don't fool around with a possible mold infestation.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #11

Don't mess with a water damaged rig KNOWINGLY.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #12

I'd go with the private sale after a good inspection. Lack of use on these things can be as bad as too much use. Water damage scares me as it is the damage you cannot see that can bite you. Receipts and service history are nice too. Blunders are out there so if you don't see what you want, keep looking.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #13
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Get a professional inspection before you buy a used rig. Could save your dreams! JMHO

Here's a link to explain the reason for the professional inspection:
Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #14

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I had a local camping world inspect the rv in Florida. Everything checked out with the exception of it needing new tires.

Does anybody know where i can hire a professional inspector in NY, right on the PA border?

Tags
advice, purchase