Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #1

Smile RV Purchase Location and Sales Tax

I'm not clear how this works..... If one locates a significantly better purchase price on a RV outside their State of residency and proceeds towards a purchase; which sales tax is applied? Is it the State where the deal is closed or the State where the RV will be registered? Thank you in advance to all that respond..
quinjeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You owe the tax rate on where you live and register the vehicle.
We bought our rig in OR which has no tax and we live in WA which has an almost 10% use tax. Dealer got the tax owed from WA DOL and they wrote them a check out of our down payment. WA won't let the purchaser handle the paperwork which is all sent directly from the dealer to the DOL in your home county.
Some states you will pay their sales tax at purchase then get a credit when you register it in your home state. If you pay more than your home state tax you won't get anything back, if you pay less but your state is higher you will pay the difference.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinjeni View Post
I'm not clear how this works..... If one locates a significantly better purchase price on a RV outside their State of residency and proceeds towards a purchase; which sales tax is applied? Is it the State where the deal is closed or the State where the RV will be registered? Thank you in advance to all that respond..
Some states may be different, but in Texas the sales tax is paid when you register the coach. A vehicle inspection by a qualified LEO or station may be required to verify the VIN for an out of state transfer.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You our the tax rate on where you live.
More correctly, you owe the tax to the state where you register, and you should register in the state where you claim residency. If you buy "out of state" they will generally provide you with a temporary registration to get you home.

(This can start a whole forum diatribe on state residency, LLC's and tax avoidance......but that's the risk you take posting. )
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Here in Georgia: We just purchased a MH in Knoxville, TN dealer. We paid in cash and no sales tax. When re register the coach in Georgia, we will have to pay sales tax. On a MH it will be considerable! The yearly ad valorem tax no longer applies as it did a few years back. Back then, we paid the sales tax AND the ad valorem tax.
When the law changed, thank goodness, we will pay a $20 tag fee each year now.

When ad valorem tax has been mention on these forums in the past, many people had no idea what it is.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #6

Bought mine in OK and paid sales tax there. When I got home and registered coach in IL their sales tax was 0.5% more. So IL credited me for what I paid in OK and charged me 0.5% more.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Here in Georgia: We just purchased a MH in Knoxville, TN dealer. We paid in cash and no sales tax. When re register the coach in Georgia, we will have to pay sales tax. On a MH it will be considerable! The yearly ad valorem tax no longer applies as it did a few years back. Back then, we paid the sales tax AND the ad valorem tax.
When the law changed, thank goodness, we will pay a $20 tag fee each year now.

When ad valorem tax has been mention on these forums in the past, many people had no idea what it is.
I think I had that in NH years ago, don't know if they still do. This is why you drove a POS car. Good news is there was no sales tax.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Where in ca. when we bought in texas dealer collected the sales tax and sent it to ca.,some ones going to get it one way or the other.
cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Our previous coach was purchased in WA new. The dealer issued a 3 day travel permit and I paid the tax in CA when I registered it for the first time. In the case of CA be aware that even though the coach is brand new\never registered they will require a smog check and the 2 year smog check cycle will start on it (as opposed to the 5 year grace period if bought new in CA). This is on a gas coach. Not sure about a diesel.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #10

In MD they call it a title tax but its the same as sales tax rate...you can title without registering (tags) if you want or need to in some circumstances. I imagine other states may be similar.
Weve bought several vehicles out of state and had them registered and titled in SD as thats my SO's state of domicile...avoids the higher tax rate and emissions BS in MD..Dealers tag and title service companies can handle that fairly easily...done it several times
Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Tomorrow when we buy ours in Texas, the dealer is NOT charging us sales tax, but he is issuing us a 30-day paper tag. When I get back home to Oklahoma I will pay our local registration fees.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #12

Sticking point about Georgia is it doesn't matter how much you paid for the car or RV...

The state will TELL YOU what it is worth, and base their tax fee off that number. If you disagree... Too bad. If you bought something for repair for a song... Too bad. They base all the rates off the brand-new purchase price. Even 15 years later, they wanted to insist that my 2002 coach was worth well over 100k - LOL!!!! Their tax bill would have been more than I paid for it!

Sold it to an LLC. Problem solved.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinjeni View Post
Every state is different as far as how the logistics of it work for the dealer but the end result will always be that you are only ever liable for the sales tax in the state that you register, but you have to be careful that you don't overpay.

Depending on how you close the deal, and how the dealer works, and how the laws in that state work, you may or not pay sales tax directly to the dealer. The dealer may or not calculate the local tax or the tax that you are supposed to pay. If you pay to the dealer they are supposed to forward it to your state. If the amount they collect is less than the amount you owe, you will have to pay the difference when you register as people have pointed out. What you have to be careful of, is if the dealer collects more than you owe and forwards that, you may or not be entitled to a refund, and if the state is as cash-strapped as Illinois, even if you are legally entitled to a refund, there is little chance you will ever get that money.

So the best thing to do is insist on paying the sales tax yourself. If the dealer says they have to collect sales tax, make sure that they are not collecting more than you actually owe in your own state. Either way, be aware of the rate you will have to pay when budgeting.

Finally, you need to look into your own state's specific laws, but in many if not most states, private party sales are exempt from sales tax. This can be a substantial savings on a used coach.

Good luck.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
You owe the tax rate on where you live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
More correctly, you owe the tax to the state where you register, and you should register in the state where you claim residency. If you buy "out of state" they will generally provide you with a temporary registration to get you home.

(This can start a whole forum diatribe on state residency, LLC's and tax avoidance......but that's the risk you take posting. )

Quote:
You owe the tax rate on where you live and register the vehicle.

When quoting you should include the whole quote.....
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, purchase, sale