Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #15

Kinda jumping off a little but there are people that want to RV either class c or A and shop and look and talk RVing but never move forward-I think with some common sense & a modest budget you have to move on and buy one after 5-6 months you may say this is not for us BUT you may love it too -My point is life is to short to be just thinking & talking RVing -go for it-- 90% of the time you will love it & remember new or old it is going to cost money to keep her rolling-we bought used and now spend the money on vacation gas instead of a big payment --just a thought from a old fart-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
Lots of good info posted here. Here is my word of caution. If you decide to go the motor home route and you have considered how much time you will spend in the motor home try to not spend a lot of money "working up" to the motor home you really want. WE wasted a lot of money buying too small, too old, not want we needed, and worked our way up the line to the DP that we have now. I wish I had "stretched" more in the beginning and not spent money on the MH's that we found didn't fit our needs! hey, just a thought and I hope this helps, mark

Good info mark!!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtrk99 View Post
Kinda jumping off a little but there are people that want to RV either class c or A and shop and look and talk RVing but never move forward-I think with some common sense & a modest budget you have to move on and buy one after 5-6 months you may say this is not for us BUT you may love it too -My point is life is to short to be just thinking & talking RVing -go for it-- 90% of the time you will love it & remember new or old it is going to cost money to keep her rolling-we bought used and now spend the money on vacation gas instead of a big payment --just a thought from a old fart-Rich

pauperspride.blogspot.com

Nicly put old fart that was actually my motivation life is too shorty I just took my money and went for it but I looked and choose wisely knowing what I could fix myself and what I couldn't risk dealing with
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #18

Answers so far

Marjoa,

In answer to your questions. This RV will be mt home, I plan on living in it year round. My ultimate destination within 18 months of buying it will be to find a place in WA state on the Olympic Peninsula to live.

I will, once a year at most, venture out and maybe go a couple states away or Canada but no further than a couple days away travel wise.

It is my goal, once I get my RV, to then save up for a plot of land to park my RV, at that point I would like to build a roof and permanent side room.

Until then I will have to rent space.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV questions from a first timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
Lots of good info posted here. Here is my word of caution. If you decide to go the motor home route and you have considered how much time you will spend in the motor home try to not spend a lot of money "working up" to the motor home you really want. WE wasted a lot of money buying too small, too old, not want we needed, and worked our way up the line to the DP that we have now. I wish I had "stretched" more in the beginning and not spent money on the MH's that we found didn't fit our needs! hey, just a thought and I hope this helps, mark

MC boy do we understand your point of view. We did the same. Started with a truck and fifth wheel. I found out real quick I didn't like hooking and in hooking in the rain and it didn't have a leveling system. So a year later we Jumped out and bought a 2005 Winnebago 32' Journey. It was an ok rig but after one very long trip, I had had it with getting pushed all over the road by 18 wheelers. I came home determined to get rid of it. Our last and current coach is the one we should have bought first-2006 Holiday Rambler Navigator 43'tag. The extra length and weight plus that tag axel make it a joy to drive. It's a beautiful well built coach and while it has its gremlins, we absolutely love it.

As mentioned, research a lot and walk through ad many as you can. Spend time in them just sitting!!!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

I focused on Newmar, Country Coach and Tiffin coaches based on a number of recommendations from people that repair them. When I was looking, I found that these coaches looked to me like they were made better. Make sure you get complete maintenance records or be prepared to spend many thousands of dollars bringing the maintenance up to date and checking to make sure nothing was damaged due to lack of maintenance. Make sure the coach does not have paint checking (do a search and you will see what that is). Look for a coach that was owned by someone that had pride of ownership.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
2. Considering you are putting your house through the equivalent of an earthquake as you drive, the roof seams are going to flex a lot. Caulk can pull away from joints and let water seep under. If you travel infrequently, consider putting a roof over your RV when at home. You will add years to its life. Having a Sealtech leak test done annually will also extend the life of your RV.

3. I might be tempted to put Thor in the category of an RV to avoid. The stories of shoddy workmanship on their owners thread gave me pause when I was looking for a Class A. Pity, because they had some of my favorite floor plans. When looking at any used RV, remember you are looking at both a used vehicle (engine, chassis, transmission, etc) AND a used house that has been through lots of "earthquakes". Lots and lots and lots of things to have inspected.

Im looking for a newer MH, looking through some of the main RV sites, Thor outnumbers any other brand for sale. Its really too bad because they are beautiful coaches, just giant POS.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you find the lag of knowledge fustrating with car dealers, just wait until you spend some time on a RV lot. "I dont know" must be prohibited by managers. This is a huge financial comittment, do your homework, trust little/verify everything.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #23

+1 Playtime III.

nvydvrdude is offline   Reply With Quote