Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

RV questions from a first timer

I am still in the saving for an RV stage but this gives me time to gain all kinds of knowledge from you nice folks.

Have a few questions, bear in mind I am new and what is probably common sense for most of you is new information to me.

1) I have seen both single, dual wheel side by side and tandem duals on models that are all the same length, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Some I would know from driving OTR, if you have a blowout with a dual set you can limp to a service station. Any others though?

2) Why do so many have roof leaks?

3) Is there an Edsel model RV I should maybe stay away from purchasing?

4) Do you have to buy RV furniture if you are replacing missing or damaged furniture?

Thanks everyone
BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

1. Dual wheels are needed for load carrying capacity as tires have limited capacity. They also give a bit of resistance to sway. No other real advantages.

2. Roof leaks are common because roof seals and penetrations need to be inspected and recaulked regularly. Many owners don't do this. And routine cleaning is also a good idea. After about 2-3 years the caulking needs refreshing and the roof after about 10-15.

3. No, not really

4. No. As long as it fits through the narrow door of most RV's
Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
1. Dual wheels are needed for load carrying capacity as tires have limited capacity. They also give a bit of resistance to sway. No other real advantages.

2. Roof leaks are common because roof seals and penetrations need to be inspected and recaulked regularly. Many owners don't do this. And routine cleaning is also a good idea. After about 2-3 years the caulking needs refreshing and the roof after about 10-15.

3. No, not really

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

I assume from your post that you are looking to buy a used RV instead of new. Good plan! We have bought two used RVs and have no regrets in buying in the used market. Both my RVs were private sales through craigslist.

The first had six tires (two on the steer axle and four on the drive axle) and the second had the six, plus a tag axle for a total of eight tires. There was no real difference in driveability between the two. I understand it's related to weight limits per axle (at the time of manufacture) that determined how many axles/ties were needed. Don't fret about the number of tires or the number of axles unless tires and toll costs will break your RV budget. If that's the case, you can't afford an RV! :-)

Our first RV was a 1999, 32 foot Class A Winnebago bought in 2013. We loved it. But! We realized that we wanted a living room slde for living. And I wanted leveling jacks that would keep me out of the red ants and the need for the driving up-on-the-lego-blocks leveling drama at each campsite stop.

We then bought a 1998 Pace Arrow Vision. One slide, leveling jacks, a washer and an ice maker, too--woo hoo! Another private sale on craigslist. Nice coach--needed tires, of course. Eight tires, with the tag axle. We sold the Winnebago on craigslist in a private sale to a happy buyer.

So, to address your post's points more directly, here's my 2 cents. There are great bargains in the private used market. Don't fret about axles. The manufactures worried more about axle capacities and driveability than you ever will. Look for well cared for coaches that need a bit of TLC.

If there is a roof stain, ask if it has been repaired. Go up on the roof and look. Check to see if the area is spongy. A roof leak is not necessarily a deal killer if it was caught and fixed before it caused structural damage or recurring nuisance issues.

Furniture wears out. Rugs get stained. That's life. Replacing RV furniture is a minor consideration if the RV itself is mechanically sound and major systems (drive train, generator, refrigerator, roof A/C units, batteries etc.) are in good shape.

Keep asking questions and keep in touch. There are so many folks more knowledgeable than me on this forum. They are all happy to help. They have been invaluable to me, so don't fret and join us in our rewarding RV experiences!
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
2. Considering you are putting your house through the equivalent of an earthquake as you drive, the roof seams are going to flex a lot. Caulk can pull away from joints and let water seep under. If you travel infrequently, consider putting a roof over your RV when at home. You will add years to its life. Having a Sealtech leak test done annually will also extend the life of your RV.

3. I might be tempted to put Thor in the category of an RV to avoid. The stories of shoddy workmanship on their owners thread gave me pause when I was looking for a Class A. Pity, because they had some of my favorite floor plans. When looking at any used RV, remember you are looking at both a used vehicle (engine, chassis, transmission, etc) AND a used house that has been through lots of "earthquakes". Lots and lots and lots of things to have inspected.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaul View Post
I am still in the saving for an RV stage but this gives me time to gain all kinds of knowledge from you nice folks.

Have a few questions, bear in mind I am new and what is probably common sense for most of you is new information to me.

1) I have seen both single, dual wheel side by side and tandem duals on models that are all the same length, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Some I would know from driving OTR, if you have a blowout with a dual set you can limp to a service station. Any others though?

2) Why do so many have roof leaks?

3) Is there an Edsel model RV I should maybe stay away from purchasing?

4) Do you have to buy RV furniture if you are replacing missing or damaged furniture?

Thanks everyone
Big Paul, Good questions shows you have been reading the forum -Quick answers - My opinion only - (1) number of wheels dictated by the weight of the chassis - a run of a mill service station probably won't be able to assist with a "truck" tire. You should stop and call road service before you do more damage (2) there is several types of roofs on RV's and they require annual upkeep. For example failing to check the caulking, etc. could lead to leaks (3) This is strictly opinion there are units that I wouldn't want that the owners love (4) simple answer NO but I if it had a seatbelt in it I would see that the replacement had a seatbelt.

As you are still in the savings stage of RV'ing I would do as much hands on research as you can, that is, visiting different RV's shows and finding the floor plan that makes sense for you or your family. Once you find the floor plan that meets your needs then hone on the models that offer that. Visiting RV shows doesn't mean you have to buy new but it will familiarize you on what is available. I went new but the used market is where I should have looked first. Before I purchased my unit I also subscribed to Motorhome Magazine and Trailer Life Magazine for two years to see the reviews and fix it columns. At some point you will have to prioritize - i.e., Comfort over Unit Cost over MPG or whatever order you decide.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #7

One thing we did on top of tons of research was to rent an RV for a long weekend. We wanted to make sure that buying was something we really wanted to do. It was an 800 mile round trip and it was very educational. We rented a 30' class c. If your budget allows it I highly recommend it. Also pay attention to the cargo capacity, some rv's don't have much.
nvydvrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

3. No, not really

Well put!!!
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvrdude View Post
One thing we did on top of tons of research was to rent an RV for a long weekend. We wanted to make sure that buying was something we really wanted to do. It was an 800 mile round trip and it was very educational. We rented a 30' class c. If your budget allows it I highly recommend it. Also pay attention to the cargo capacity, some rv's don't have much.

I think renting an RV is the smartest thing you can do to educate yourself.

It's like reading about how to ride a bicycle. A few test rides makes you pay attention to various things before you buy one.

Same with an RV. You soon learn about bathroom size, walk around bed issues, hookup location, slides, etc.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #10

I bought a used class a last month had bad and I mean bad roof issues but!!! Engine, trans and all the electrical a/cs worked great coach had 86k on it. But inside was horrible because of the water damage 40 foot by the way I went into this wanting to find a coach that I could buy cheap and make it how I wanted and I did all the work myself including the roof I'm happy as I got my money worth I posted videos and pictures a few days ago in class a
Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #11

It's under my 1990 overland restoration..[emoji4]
Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 AM   #12

All these points may not apply to you but may be helpful to others:

A few things to consider when buying ANY motorhome (MH):
Buying any MH is NOT like buying a car. You should not just go out and find one that you like and it’s pretty to look at, the price is good and then make a decision. Buying a MH on emotion without careful thought could turn into buyers remorse. There is also a learning curve and testing of all the systems that are in a MH. It is considered—best practice—that no matter what type of MH you decide to purchase, Gas or Diesel, used or new, that once you do purchase one, give yourself time and a few short trips to become familiar with it, and fix any bugs or issues that may and probably will arise BEFORE you go on any extended trip.

1) The first thing to consider and probably the most important to most of us is, what can I afford
2) How are you going to use the MH? Are you going to use it sporadically throughout the year for short 1,2,3 or 4 weeks at a time or are you planning to travel a lot year round, traveling the US & maybe Canada
3) Are you planning to tow a vehicle
4) Insurance will vary a lot depending on the type of MH, how you use it, the size, its value, its age, the state you live it, and your driving record
5) A few states have MH size restrictions, and license requirements
6) It’s a best practice to store your MH inside when not in use so in most cases this requires renting a storage unit and—depending on your location and the length—will vary a lot on what you pay. Usually a 35’ or less storage unit for most people the cost is very reasonable. Over 35’ it goes up quite a bit. And don’t forget, you’ll need an extra 5’ - 10’ at least to give yourself the ability to store supplies and have the ability to work on and clean your coach. If you choose not to store your MH and leave it outside, your MH’s condition will pay a price
7) Maintenance is another consideration and this is not just confined to oil changes, air filters and lubing the chassis. MH’s are equipped with many onboard systems. It’s a house on wheels. They have 12volt and 110 electrical systems with a variety of different appliances and charging systems. Some have no slides some have many slides. There are different types of roofs. There are so many systems they can’t all be mentioned here, but some are only found on Diesels. Regardless with ether it’s Gas or Diesel, all these systems have to be maintained on a regular basis and you have to decide whether you can perform some, most or all of these systems yourself or pay someone to do it
8) Any MH owner should also have roadside service of some kind
9) Warranty. If you buy a new MH it will come with a factory warranty. But most dealers & shops today are so back logged with coaches that need service work—in many if not most cases—may take weeks to schedule your work. Therefore, your normal warranty expires fairly quickly so you’ll have to decide whether you want to pay for an extended warranty. Many times if you buy a new MH out of state, when you get home, your local dealer will not service it because you didn’t buy it from them. Or, they may work on it but you’ll usually be put on the bottom of their list. If you buy locally your local dealer is probably fairly close to your home base, but it would be to your advantage to buy a MH that also has factory service center nearby (say within 500 miles or so) that can not only take care of warranty issues, but also address any other more complicated issues that may arise
10) Tire costs for Diesels (for the most part) are much more than gas rigs simply because they are bigger
11) How much storage space do you need in the basement to carry all your stuff
12) If you buy a new MH you will take a big depreciation hit, especially in the first 3 years
13) If you buy a used MH, get it inspected by a professional and have the fluids tested by a lab. IMHO the sweet spot on a used MH is one that's 3 -5 yrs. old. The previous owner has already taken a big hit on the depreciation, a lot of MHs out there have hardly been used or abused yet and they have a lot of the new updates.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Lots of good info posted here. Here is my word of caution. If you decide to go the motor home route and you have considered how much time you will spend in the motor home try to not spend a lot of money "working up" to the motor home you really want. WE wasted a lot of money buying too small, too old, not want we needed, and worked our way up the line to the DP that we have now. I wish I had "stretched" more in the beginning and not spent money on the MH's that we found didn't fit our needs! hey, just a thought and I hope this helps, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
I wish I had "stretched" more in the beginning and not spent money on the MH's that we found didn't fit our needs! hey, just a thought and I hope this helps, mark
Ditto what he said! slides are great for adding room!