Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Those of you who have DIY outside screens:

How did you create the hems on the edges of the solar screening?

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine were seemless

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
I went to Lowe's and purchased a 48"X50' roll of 90% sun block window screening and made my own. Believe it was about $50.00. Home Depot should have the same stuff. Used mine on the outside and worked great.

Bruce & Teresa
40' 2000 Foretravel U320
Cummins M11 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

Bruce, do you remember what area of the store that material was in? I went to the Lowes website and I find window screening but I don't believe that is what you got. If you can find it on their site and give us a link that would be great! Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #18

I have had all kinds of sun shades over the years ... Inside and out. There is no arguing that inside sun shades can be effective in lowering inside temperatures and blocking the sun, but the simple physics of that is that the sun hits the inside shade, is blocked, but a substantial portion of its heat is then trapped between the sun shade and the windshield... Creating a pocket of very hot air when the sun is shining directly on the shade. You can easily determine this by simply holding your hand on the shade. That hot screen does re-radiate a significant amount of that heat back into your motor home.

Exterior shades do not have this problem, and as a result do keep notably more heat outside the RV instead of trapping it inside behind the windshield.

I realize the hassle of mounting snap-on type shades, and the cost is high. The excellent Magna-shades are easy to put on but cost even more. My final solution to address all these issues would be to either purchase a product such as the 'Prompt RV Sunscreen' or make one of my own like it: http://www.rv-sunscreen.com
This type of screen keeps the most heat OUTSIDE, is less expensive, and easily installs while keeping both feet on the ground. To me, it's a no brainer for those of us on a budget.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
deandec. their is a long thread on DIY outside shades, search "outside window sun cover" I was convenced to make them but chickened out.. If I was planning on extreme heat I would do that for sure. Let me know if I can help.
Don
Old 12-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
I have shades from RV Sunshades

Home Page

This is the 2nd Motorhome that I have had them, and very happy. Shades really need to be on the outside. If they are on the inside, the heat is already in. It really makes a difference.

Gary

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Hah, never mind, I didn't search the website, I found their locations during the seasons.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bruce, do you remember what area of the store that material was in? I went to the Lowes website and I find window screening but I don't believe that is what you got. If you can find it on their site and give us a link that would be great! Thanks!
Phifer 36 in. x 25 ft. Charcoal Super Solar Screen-3021116 - The Home Depot

It is in the screen window area of each store.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'd have to respectfully disagree. They kept out a ton of heat out of our Bounder. We spent 40 straight days in 100 plus degrees in the summer of 2012 and they were very effective. We also live in South Florida. The outside ones may be better ( I don't know ) but the hassle and dealing with wet dirty shades doesn't appeal to me.

Hi Cliff - Was not my intent to tick you off! I did state that they do cut down on the heat gain, and they certainly do. But having had both, no question that the exterior mounted shades offer a much larger reduction of heat gain - that is a fact, not opinion.

And we're in the South West, so have some areas called deserts. Have been in temps in the teens above 100, with both the Bounder (internal off white suction cup shades) and the Country Coach with external medium brown shades. So have experience in hot weather too.

I salute the DIY approaches, but do recommend if someone is just starting to develop a front cab shading system, that they do so with the External Shade approach. The few negatives of being wet or dirty from time to time when taking down to put away, has never been a problem. The material is very durable, and is easy to hose off and drys quickly when needed.

I do also recommend the magnet type approach, to avoid the need to snap the top via a ladder. Some DIY magnet shades searches will yield good results on How To.

I will also point out, that my DW had a bad back for several years (Surgery has made this 85% better now!), and she had difficulty mounting the Bounders inside window shade suctions, especially above the driver seat. Where as she could mount the external the few times she did for me. (I had a broken hip, that for a few months made this her job.) So that is another, admittedly unusual, advantage to external shading.

Best to you, and all - do what works best for your circumstances. Desire to DIY, or amount that you are willing to spend!
Smitty
Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #23

RV Quickshades

MSHappyCampers,
I used the window screen such as "deandec" posted above. It is heavy duty stuff. Just get the roll wider than windshield height. I used 48"X 25'. When you pick it up the roll should feel heavy. Good luck.

Bruce & Teresa
40' 2000 Foretravel U320
Cummins M11 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bruce & Dean! I will look into that for sure!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote