Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
X4 on RV.ORG

Yes, a lot of their info is information you can get from the dealers but....

I had no idea of which brand of RV to buy. What going to dealer web sites does not give you is a database with most all RV's listed.

I was able to search RV.ORG's data. I was able to pull up a list of RV’s that met my search requirements narrowing my search for a new RV to just a few. A list small enough that I could go to a few dealers and test drive the ones I liked.

I was looking for RV’s that were in my price range. I could also sort for the length of RV, weight carrying capacity of RV, Towing capacity of RV and a lot more features. The data will also give you an idea of what other paid for their rigs. If I remember correctly the data gives you the low, high, and average, prices paid for different models. This data is gained from surveys of people who bought RV’s.

This way I did not have to sort through manufacturer sites looking where they say that their RV can only carry 800 pounds after I fill all the tanks. In fact the manufactures don’t make it obvious that they have a low CCC so you will have to do the math yourself if you can find the weight data listed on their web sites. Or go to each dealer and read the RV’s weight posting by the drivers seat.

If you already know the brand you want then don’t get the info from RV.ORG, but if you are open to many manufactures I found it to be helpful.

JD & Kathy and our pom "Mac"
2016 Winnebago Sightseer33C built on a 2016 F-53 Chassis
2009 Saturn Vue
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
I am finding that scouring the forums is the best source of less-biased reporting. Then first-hand tire kicking is next. The manufacturer's explanation of their practices is good for making sure they offer the products and construction I like. I could not care less about the opinion of a dealer representative. I usually know more than they do about their products anyway.

Fulltimer Class of Late 2015, with my bride, Lori.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
No matter what make sure to check the roof. I had every maintenance record on my coach since mile one and thought I had gold but was not adept at checking the roof. One year later I need a new roof.
Newmar says to check the roof twice yearly, so I do. Even with a full fiberglass roof you still need to check the seals around all the openings.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I agree with Dennis45, RV Consumer Group has what appears to be a non-biased review based on Safety, Value and Reports. Takes into consideration wheel base and weight, etc. Also, gives ideas on what to look for and how to deal with a salesman. Sure was worth the money to me.
08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
Mr_D, I have learned an expensive lesson. I will make sure to let all of our clients know that CW is not your friend. I am lucky that a Old friend of mine owns a rv service center and he will be doing the roof work. I trust him and he will let me help with the repair. I wish I would have joined the forum before I bought. Other than roof the Dutchstar is in very good shape and I will repair the roof and use her for 6 or more years then look at a used Essex or Prevost or Kingaire (dreamin).
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
I agree with the value of the RV.ORG site. Besides, the free list, has over 550 entries the vast majority of which are not Class A's. At least the RV.ORG site gives you ratings and suggested use by type of RV etc etc etc.
Rick and Cathy Walker with Maggie and Bella our Shitzu/Bichon cross puppies.
43' 2005 Mountain Aire 4304, Spartan chassis, Cummins 400 ISL, Blue Ox, 2011 Chev Equinox
Started Full Timing June 2013
Grwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
let me start with rv.org

Yea its hard to do a comparison of the different features amongst different RV manufacturers. Surprised there are not more online data warehouses that store RV options \ models \ and other data.

I agree with the comments that the best way to evaluate and decide if a floor plan is "desirable" is subjective and requires some time in the cab and the house.

I guess I am the type of performance\engineering personality that likes to know all the little details (E.G. type of glue used \ composite materials used).

Thanks for keeping this thread interesting with some good ideas.
I appreciate it..

I just sold my '99 chieftain so I am just getting caught up with whats new in the rv industry, and who is who.

1999 33b Chieftain
MODS: Flatscreen TV's, Koni Shocks, Davis Trutrack, Banks Exhaust, Roadmaster SwayBar, Still going!
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote