Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Rv ratings

Is there a website that has a list of RV ratings that is sortable ? although i know it might be subjective it would be a great start for me to get a quick reference point on Class a diesels. Or perhaps a website that has a quick glance of features (Chassis, engine sort, etc etc)
Any help would be appreciated ..

1999 33b Chieftain
MODS: Flatscreen TV's, Koni Shocks, Davis Trutrack, Banks Exhaust, Roadmaster SwayBar, Still going!
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
No there is not a ratings website. There is a book for sale that has some info but they do not inspect them and just get the info from sales brochures. You can get the same info for free from manufactures websites.

My advice to you would be to just go visit every dealer and show you can. Walk thru and imagine yourself actually living in it. See what you can get to with slides in and out. Imagine sitting and watching TV. Imagine laying in bed and then getting out of bed. If there is more than one going to be in it then imagine them also doing everything in there. Imagine where you will store things and stuff. Imagine cooking in the kitchen.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
You can look at ratigs and floorplans and specifications, but nothing beats eyes on. Remember the Long, long trailer with Lucille Ball? She fell in love with a trailer, and when she saw it in person, it was not what she had imagined.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

You can have a look at this site. They charge $150 for a copy of their data base.
I used this site when we were looking for our 1st rig. Did not have a clue what to look for and most important, what not to look for.
This site is not the end to end all but it is a very good tool to help you in your search through the maze do RV's on the market.
Looking through this site you will see in a hurry that these things are not all the same. Best $150 I spent in my search!!!!

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Yes, there is, and it's free. Take a look here: RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models
2002 Tiffin Phaeton 38OH, CAT 330
DoubleVetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
I second Dennis45's suggestion. That $150 is the best money I spent on buying my rv. It probably saved me thousands to 10's of thousands of dollars. It also has an easy to use rating system that seems to be pretty much right on for the most part. It provides you with a lot of great information on inspecting, rv design, use, dealing with sales people etc. go to rv.org pony up the $150 then read ALL the material cover to cover a couple of times. Pick the rv's you want to look at then go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and check the right box and it will send you daily updates of what's out there.
Good luck and happy hunting.
By the way free is worth what you pay for it.
pumper9x9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
By the way free is worth what you pay for it.
Mountain vistas, an ocean view, and occasionally, beer in Gersfeld Germany are all free, and worth more than what you pay for them
2002 Tiffin Phaeton 38OH, CAT 330
DoubleVetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Call me skeptical, but I trust almost no one's opinion on something expensive like a motor home. Good advice above about searching manufacturer's websites. Most list previous year's models with floor plans, specifications and photos. I have even built spread sheets that compare desired features of each interesting model to get a side by side comparison. Then go look at the real thing and you will have done due diligence and will be better informed to make a decision.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
I have looked at a large number of rv's over the last 5 yrs. I have taken notes, looked at quality of materials, construction, and design. In every case I have found the ratings from rv.org to be right on +or- a half a star. If you don't know what to look for you have to start educating your self and this is the best site I have found for that information.
Also if you trust no ones opinion why should we trust yours?
pumper9x9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
We also used rv.org and found it of great benefit. There is also a company I think called JR Consumer that rates RV's. In addition we talked to various RV Salesperson who represented multiple brands, researched as many forums as we could find, talked to various people in the know concerning different brands of various components included in the RV etc. Finally we too used our own feature comparison spreadsheets. Do as much research as you can and enjoy the process.
2017 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B/450 Cummins/Spartan
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Originally Posted by DoubleVetera View Post
Yes, there is, and it's free. Take a look here: RV Rating - Customer Survey of RV Makes and Models
I'm posting this as a reply to DoubleVetera, just to grab the link for reference. Not as a lecture to DoubleVetera who is probably far more experienced than I am in the area of RV evaluation.

I looked at that web page. A good general rating of owners opinions, but are the rigs rated 2013 Models? Or is the list a composit of opinions from many model years. I suspect the latter to be the case. Still, it gives a nice feeling for overall manufacturing quality and how owners view the manufacturers treatment of "issues".

Bear in mind that over the years many RV manufacturers change. One example that I know personally is the Foretravel company. I have a friend who worked for the company for many years as a manager. He told me what model years he considered the best, and worst as far as quality, maintenance issues, etc.. Same for the now defunct Bluebird Wanderlodge line. Some year models are known as the best ever built, and other years were issue plagued.

Best advice that I can give anyone who is unfamiliar with RVs is to take a seasoned RVer along to look over potential purchase rigs. Befriend a good diesel mechanic to take along if you are looking for a diesel powered rig. RV sales people are biased, so don't allow them to tell you what you want and need. Don't be shy about opening up cabinets, looking under sinks, behind access panels to view the workmanship.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
All good points.
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
I have been doing extensive research for several years, looking for a fulltime diesel pusher. My short list is complete, so a trip to each factory should seal the deal, regarding fit/finish/construction methods/customer service. Just like when I go onto a dealers lot, I will be evaluating how they treat me. After that, it's a leap of faith!

PS. You may be able to detect which way I'm leaning, below and to the left!

Fulltimer Class of Late 2015, with my bride, Lori.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
No matter what make sure to check the roof. I had every maintenance record on my coach since mile one and thought I had gold but was not adept at checking the roof. One year later I need a new roof.

Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote