Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Angry RV registration

We recently purchased a 2002 Beaver Monterey out of CA. On registering the vehicle in AZ, had to pay over 8% of purchase price in fees (ripoff)(ouch). Yes, I know I should have down more homework on the registration fees in AZ. That being said, I am dreading paying close to the same amount the next time I need to renew the registration. My question is this. I have seen advertisements about registering RVs in Montana(I think) where there is no registration fees. Is this legal? Has anyone on this forum done this and how does it work. Thanks for your time.
Mj9484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If it's legal for you then it's legal. However, there's the problem. If you can't meet the legal guidelines then they can and will go after you.
We could have saved over $23,000 in sales/use tax if we could have used an LLC to shield the used MH purchase in an LLC. However it wouldn't be legal under WA law so we paid it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

Purchased Coach in aZ.

I have one better. We purchased our coach in Mesa, AZ. In AZ. you pay sales tax on the price after down payments and cash down payments. Not bad, until you register in this god forsaken state. At DMV CA. since you brought a vehicle into CA. you will get hit with a "Road Use" tax which is the same as "Sale" tax. You will be taxed on the sale amount before down payment. In another words if the rig you are buying is listed on the dealer lot is 100K, you pay tax on the 100K minus the amount of "sale" tax you paid AZ DMV. One last thing, "Road use" tax is not deductible on your taxes.

Cheers
Ed & Joy
Revolution 40LE
EJL_Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

If my memory serves me, I have seen classified ads in the back of RV magazines that say they can help you register as an LLC in Montana or South Dakota or one of the other more RV friendly states. Good Sam has a magazine as does FMCA.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
If my memory serves me, I have seen classified ads in the back of RV magazines that say they can help you register as an LLC in Montana or South Dakota or one of the other more RV friendly states. Good Sam has a magazine as does FMCA.
Yes, they all have the same ads. The problem isn't with the law in Montana but rather the law in your home state. Can one legally register a vehicle in another state? The answer is yes, but. That is a very big but. You have to find out the residency laws in your state and see if you can comply with those laws and be able to document your compliance. If you can do that, then go for it. If you can't then don't even think about it. If you get caught it can be a very expensive lesson in taxation with you owning the tax, a penalty, and interest. Even if you are legal the burden of proof is on the taxpayer to show that you complied with the law. That can also be an expensive proposition.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #6

Montana LLCs have been discussed ad nauseum on this and other RV websites. Google is your friend.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj9484 View Post
We recently purchased a 2002 Beaver Monterey out of CA. On registering the vehicle in AZ, had to pay over 8% of purchase price in fees (ripoff)(ouch). Yes, I know I should have down more homework on the registration fees in AZ. That being said, I am dreading paying close to the same amount the next time I need to renew the registration. My question is this. I have seen advertisements about registering RVs in Montana(I think) where there is no registration fees. Is this legal? Has anyone on this forum done this and how does it work. Thanks for your time.
That's amazing. Did you buy from a dealer? AZ and NV have no sales tax on a private party sale. Last year I purchased motorhome in signature and paid $500 in reg fees and a $28 title fee and saved almost $6000 because of private party purchase. If you had a trade with a dealer, should only have charged taxes on difference. Eight % is a bunch but I would have paid 7.75% from a dealer.
Rich
Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

wnytaxman gave excellent advice. Yes, you can register it Montana, but if you live in AZ and keep the RV there, you are almost surely subject to whatever AZ taxes and fees has on vehicles. Check the AZ laws that apply to your specific situation. MT law is irrelevant.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote