Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #1

RV remodeling

I am new to RVing and looking at purchasing my first one when I retire in three years. Since I would have to stay in Hawaii for three years after I retire I'm willing to allow that time to get it right the first time before spending 6 months at a time in the RV. I am leaning towards buying a used Class A DP. 39 to 45 feet. Three to four slideouts. Year of the RV doesn't not matter I just want something that will last. I want to do a full remodel with a professional remodeling company. My budget is around 150000-200000 which includes the price of the RV, remodeling and bringing the coach to the present with things like solar. I've read that only certain RVs would be able to accommodate the things I would like to do like tile or laminate flooring and fullsize tile from bottom to top shower. Being that I reside in Hawaii I want to buy the RV where ever the remodeling company is located. I am looking for two answers. 1. What RV will be able to handle what I want and which remodeling companies should I look at to make my custom RV within my budget. Doesn't matter the state.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Agmatafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, so... first of all - in the 39-45' size range and in the price range you mentioned, I think there are going to be a lot of rigs to choose from that will be able to handle all of your requests, including floor and shower tile.

I'll use my rig as an example: 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire, 42', four opposing slides, etc. etc. Book on it is somewhere around $100,000 give or take, and the previous owners dumped just over $50,000 into it a year before we bought it. That puts it squarely in your price and size range. The remodel included new tile floors front to back with radiant heating, all new appliances, new MCD shades throughout... a long list of improvements. they didn't get around to the shower, though; I'm doing that one myself

My point is not necessarily to recommend our rig or one like it - although it would be an outstanding choice for you - but rather to suggest that I think there are going to be more rigs to choose from that will fit your price and size range than you've been lead to believe so far. Monaco, Newmar, Holiday Rambler... these and many others were all at the top of our list, and I think most models will be able to be remodeled the way you're hoping for.

However, you have to consider the fact that a $100,000 rig is never going to be able to recoup the costs of a $50,000 remodel... you just won't be able to sell it for enough to get any of it back. We got lucky in that we didn't have to pay for the remodel. In fact, we paid quite a bit under book for the rig. The previous owners were planning on living in the rig another 5-10 years when they did the remodel, so for them it would have been worth it. Unfortunately, life had other plans and they had to sell it instead, losing all that remodel investment.

One last point: I live in Las Vegas, a very popular RV town. There are a LOT of rigs for sale here or nearby, and there are several remodelers here that are all top of the line. Considering how easy it is to go back and forth between Hawaii and Las Vegas, this might be a good place to start looking. The company that did our remodel is called Apache, and if you go to 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire Renovations you can even see before and after pics of our rig that they use in their gallery.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

if you are new to the rv world i suggest you rent one for a vacation before making a size-able investment in a money pit that will never return your investment.
it is a wonderful lifestyle but not suited for everyone. it will also help in decision making as to floor plan and size.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #5

Wryly thank very much for the info. I have been looking at the Newmars and Tiffins. Your coach is awesome and after showing it to my wife she's now on board on what I want to do. I will look more into Apache. My biggest thing is customer service and hopefully I kind find a company I can work with.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might consider remodelers in Oregon....NO sales tax
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agmatafamily View Post
Wryly thank very much for the info. I have been looking at the Newmars and Tiffins. Your coach is awesome and after showing it to my wife she's now on board on what I want to do. I will look more into Apache. My biggest thing is customer service and hopefully I kind find a company I can work with.
You're welcome. And, again... I'm not necessarily suggesting either Newmar or Apache RV - although they're both great - I just wanted to support your dreams that it can be done and point out that I believe you have more options than you think you do.

Good luck in whatever direction you go

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
if you are new to the rv world i suggest you rent one for a vacation before making a size-able investment in a money pit that will never return your investment.
it is a wonderful lifestyle but not suited for everyone. it will also help in decision making as to floor plan and size.
Any suggestions who I should rent from
Old 02-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agmatafamily View Post
Any suggestions who I should rent from
Awhile back when I read the same advice to rent a motorhome for a vacation first I thought it was a great idea until I saw that to rent a Class A motorhome similar in size to what I might buy would cost about $3,000 for a two week rental plus the cost of fuel, campsite, etc I decided when I retire in a few years I will just take the plunge and hope I was right about liking it as much as I think I will.

If money were no object I would do it in a hearbeat but I am on a budget and $3,000 is money I could spend on my actual motorhome or budget that as part of my loss if I decide to sell it after a year.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi, welcome to the forum. My husband and I lucked into a fixer upper 1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial that was all original, down to the original bar crystal set. She'd been in storage for about 8 years! Only one owner and 52k miles on her. So, we payed, wait for it, $4600! I didn't skip a 0! We've sealed the roof seams, entire ceiling replaced, rebuilt the pop down bed that was rotted from the leaks, pulled up the carpet and installed a nice commercial grade finish laminate floor, replaced one leveling valve, fixed air tank leak, cleaned and sanatized the fresh water system, replaced the furnace blower motor, changed all fluids, filters, hoses, and belts, tested the built in washer and dryer, replaced the microwave/convection oven with a small toaster/rotisserie/pizza oven, and installed the microwave in the bar. All of that, minus labor because we did the work, has been right at $2000. The bus was in good shape to begin with. Lucky for us all appliances work. Take the plunge! No matter your budget, it's worth it! No looking back, JUMP! 😃

Tags
remodel