Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep our MH parked next to the house when we're home and the house and grounds are well lighted. I don't think anyone will be brave enough to mess with it when our vehicles are under the carport. If we are away from home in one of our other vehicles I don't worry about it, that's why I pay for insurance. "Things" can be replaced.

When we are traveling or at the campground in the MH, my "security" is always within easy reach. I assure you that if someone manages to get through the door, they will leave in a body-bag!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #16

One of these on the door might give the crook second thoughts.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #17

We bought a old motorhome with a faded exterior and cracked decals, then remodel the interior to look like a new motorhome. We have the comforts of a new motorhome inside and the exterior is one hell of a theft deterrent, haha.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Excellent idea!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Or perhaps, point out there might be something (like firearms) worth stealing inside. Each to their own, but I would just as soon not advertise.

There is a lot to be said that the argument that security systems are better described as "feel goods" for owners than true security. Our stick and brick is in a guarded (24 hour), gated, subdivision with mobile security patrols, as well as, monitored cameras throughout. All the homes, as far as I know, have pretty up to date security systems. Last winter our neighbor, a high ranking leo, had his home broken into and several firearms and other valuables stolen while the family was away on vacation. Access to the area was by digging under a security fence at an alligator infested swamp edge and sneaking through back yards until their target was reached. They were in and gone before the private security or the police could arrive (both notified by a monitored alarm company). They were caught the next day, but most of the goodies were gone by then.

We do the best we can, pay our insurance premiums, and do not worry about it.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Your dog is to ugly to let anyone in!!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Not so lucky

We had left our rig at a dealer for some repair work. A couple of days later they called to tell us our rig had been broken into. When we arrived we learned that about 8 units had been vandalized. The thefs had used a pry bar and had done major damage to the doors. On ours they had pried open the side window and gone in thru the window. You could see some marks where they had attempted to pry the door. Turns out the repair was minor for the window, as compared to those around us who had door damage. The only thing I could figure out,was that I had added a hand bar on the screen. When looking thru the door glass, you can see the hand bar. Which looks like a heavy bar across the door. They took a nice camera, loose change, and the radio. But pychologically it was pretty traumatic, it looked like a tornado had gone thru the enterior. Never a problem on the road, or at a campground, have had a couple of things stolen in the lot where we tailgate. There is no good answer, if you don't want a big barking dog. I travel with a 9mm personal protection device, put have never been aware or at the rig when the problem occurred.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have seen one of just blinking LEDs on the window. Who would enter?
That is what I have. I got the flasher from a box for a mouse. It is in a side window just in front of the entry door. I have had numerous numerous inquiries about the alarm system. I just say it is a system I built myself and it has been 100% effective. Cost..$0.00

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #23

I used 1 red blinking LED #276-036 and 1 #271-1317 resistor from Radio Shack.

Solder a resistor lead to any LED lead and connect the + LED to an always on and the - to an ign sw on source. Mount the LED where it can be seen from the outside.

Ign sw off, LED blinks, ign sw on, LED off.

Simple and CHEEP
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A cousin of mine years ago rigged up a camera at the side window by his door. At the door, he had a sign that read "hey dummy look up" then right under the camera he had a sign that read "gotcha on tape recorded to hard drive via satellite the cops will be here shortly" and he never had a problem.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #25

Problem is you never know if one of these devices actually prevents a break-in or one has just had good fortune. I have not used any of these devices real or phony and have not been broken into, my good fortune. Naturally I am aware this good fortune is subject to change at any moment.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post

That is what I have. I got the flasher from a box for a mouse. It is in a side window just in front of the entry door. I have had numerous numerous inquiries about the alarm system. I just say it is a system I built myself and it has been 100% effective. Cost..$0.00

If ya got a blinkin lite, they go to one that dont.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay View Post
A cousin of mine years ago rigged up a camera at the side window by his door. At the door, he had a sign that read "hey dummy look up" then right under the camera he had a sign that read "gotcha on tape recorded to hard drive via satellite the cops will be here shortly" and he never had a problem.
My concern with this is the likelihood of a moron, that steals for a living, being able to read.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ugly dog

How about the ugly dog method,does it work?