Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem is so many of the RV techs are trained as parts changers and not as repair techs. It takes a bit more training and smarts to really learn the system and learn how it is supposed to work to track down the problem.

I do as much work as I can on my stuff. Then if it is not right I know the person that did it wrong....and the wife makes sure he knows it is wrong.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #30
Tiffin Owners Club
In San Diego there is a small shop called San Diego Trailer Supply. The two guys that now own it have worked there for 30 years each. They started there as kids and have stayed on, one runs the inside and the other runs the repair side. Both are very customer service oriented and honest with their shops abilities. If they are not equipped for a repair or not sure of their ability to do a good job they will recommend somewhere else. They must treat their employees fair too as many of them have been with them a long time too. If you are in the area and need work give them a call.

Dave and Cindy
2007 Allegro Bus 40' QSP FL
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
turn1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Most repair shops Have a high turnover; as they can not have employees over thr winter when there is little if any work.I have been doing Motorhome/RV repair for over 50 years. When someone asks what the rates are I tell them $3.00 per minute Shop time. ==$180.00 Per Hour. That may seem excessive, I have had some leave and come back, My dad;; When hireing someone would tell the prospective employee he would pay them what they were worth, some would say they couldn't worh that cheap;;; Also I have fired employees for leaving grease prints anywhere on the Vehicel OR touching/adjusting the radio.. I guess I would say get some older gentelman that has years of experiance to work of your Rig he may be a bit slower BUT it will be done Right;; Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #32
For those who do there own repair work I understand and thats ok but some of us are just getting too dang old to crawl under these things I'm 76 yrs old and have done my share of working on cars boats trucks and RV's but I just don't feel like doing it anymore. Thus we of such ilk have to depend on other mechanics to do the work for us. I'm lucky I found a good mechanic and he knows his stuff. When I lived in Lake Havasu Az. A auto repair was highly recommended by a friend of mine. When I get the truck back from a engine overhaul they had poured twice the amt. of oil in the crankcase and it was leaking all over the place one of the valves was clunking and the job was well botched up. What I'm getting at here your almost on your own when seeking out repairs and it takes a lot of luck to find the right repair shop, Sometimes the work they do is great but the final bill will blow you over. I guess with high fuel prices and high labor costs its all a part of the game called rv'ing. I mean are we having fun yet or what ?
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I do my own work.

I mow my own lawn.
I maintain/repair my own house. Cars. Motorcycle. Lawn Tractor. and of course I take care of my own motorhome.
I second that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: dance:
2008 Damon Daybreak 3135,F53,2011 CR-V toad SMI Stay in Play Duo
Why wait for retirement enjoy life now !!!!!!!!!!
Me , DW, 2 kids and Kasey 8 year old yellow lab
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #34
At Tiffin Hotor Homes factory service center not only are you allowed to stand and watch the techs working on your rig it is encouraged! If I can't watch someone work on my stuff then I find someone else. I was an auto and power equipment tech for 26 years. then I remodeled kitchens for 13 years. I never had a problem with people watching me work as long as they didn't get in the way or make the situation unsafe. Nowadays it's all about liability. The problem is common sense isn't common to everybody!
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
Originally Posted by mavric65

I second that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: dance:
Many of the posts in this thread echo my sentiment that the technicians employed at many of the RV service centers are substandard and lack the drive or character to take pride in their work. Others insist I do my own work and forego the hassle with the service center. I would love to have the time to do my own work, hell, I would love to have the time to supervise the technicians doing the work....

However, there are some tasks that I didn't think could be done incorrectly. As you know we picked up the new coach in June. One of the many "warrantee" items that needed repair was the outside entertainment center's DVD player. It would not accept a DVD...it felt like it was angled wrong or locked. The dealer ordered a new unit and installed it just before we left on our first long trip. It worked find at the dealer but when we made it to one of the parks and set up to watch a movie outside, the same problem occurred! I removed screws the held in the unit, I discovered everything behind the faceplate was bent upwards and broken off the faceplate. How did this happen? The sofa bed, sits opposite the outdoor entertainment center and the DVD unit extends inward about 7 inches. When the sleeper bed retracts into the sofa it wraps upward into the sofa..and in this case it catches about 1/4 inch of the DVD player and rips it off the faceplate!

Now, when I brought it in the first time, you would think the technician would have wondered why the DVD was bent upward and broken. If he did, he world have determined the sofa was installed 1/4 - 1/2 inch to close to the wall and thus caused the issue. Obviously, he did not have the intellect, or character to care or question the cause of the problem.

I would be happy to fix this myself if I could make a warrantee claim myself directly on Fleetwood but I can't. I would take it to a potentially better service center but only one dealer in the area is authorized to perform warrantee work in my geography. I understand why many of the owners I see are retired...they are the only ones who have the time to devote to the continual supervision required to actually get issues resolved.

After our 3 week trip, there are plenty of issues that will need repair...I am already irritated with the process I am about to initiate....how sad.
TEXAS - Fleetwood 40G 2011
TNT-FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #36

Your narative sums up the frustration that most of us feel when we have to deal with an RV service center. It's either technicians who are incompetent, or who don't care enough to do the job properly.

There are many jobs on my RV that I would prefer to hand over to a service center, if I could only find one that would do the job right the first time. I would even be willing to pay a higher price for competent, caring service work. Alas, it's almost impossible to find such a place.

I don't do my own work because I enjoy it or to save money. I do my own work because I am forced to because I want the job done right the first time.

-- Loren
2012 New Horizons 36' Travel Trailer, Front Kitchen
2008 Dodge Ram, 6.7 liter Cummins Diesel, 4WD, Quad Cab
Loren B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #37
I routinely take my rv back to the factory to get things done right. However, I bought a new Travel Supreme AFTER they closed the doors, so no factory option (Entegra, who bought the factory and now builds a very similar unit will now be glad to work on T.S.) so I had to find another service center. After much research, I found Lee's RV in Oklahoma City. They were very willing to provide the service, were very good to work with and tried to work me in as quick as possiible. Are they perfect, no, I have had things done wrong the first time, but they are always more than willing to make it right, even to the point of pulling a tech off of something and getting my mess up fixed immediately, they are expensive but in my opinion worth it. Because they are good, they stay snowed under and it is hard to get in and out (they do give preference to full timers if you tell them you live in your unit and can not leave it, they will work you in quickly) of the shop in a timely manner. I bought my first unit from Lees many years ago when Lee first bought the business in Midwest City, Ok and have always found them to be friendly, truthful and helpful. If you are in the area and need service they will treat you right. I know Lee rvs himself and monitors this forum part of the time, SO........THANKS LEE for over 30 years of great, honest service. I an not affiliated in any way with Lees, I just think they do a great job and I wanted to spread the word. I no longer own my Travel Supreme and because Newmar has gone to a freightliner chassis for all but their very expensie coaches, I did not buy my new one from Lees but I would have loved to have been able to. ALL just my opinion.
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #38
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have much expiereince with RV service tech's save for Rachel and she does know her .... you know,,, from a hole in the ground,, She is very very good in fact. She does believe in reading instructions she's that good.

However with auto service technicians.. (A very related field) I've had some who were pure gold and some.. Well they should have stuck to selling shoes. (And I don't mean brake shoes) Some who did things exactly like I'd do,, Some who screwed up big time.

In short, they run the gauntlet from very very good to run, don't walk, away.

I wish I could help you when it comes to finding the good ones.. I can watch them work and form an opinion.. but that's me.. I grew up on a farm so learned motors and drive trains, I read like a fish swims (All the time and quickly) and I spend hours a day researching issues for folks here on the forums.. So I know a lot and hire not the technician so much as the tool box.

But not everyone does the research I've done.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #39
I'm an RV shop owner. As you can see I monitor and post on this forum all the time. I seek the advice of RV owners constantly to improve and grow my business. I am also an active RV owner, for over 11 years.

I have 4 service techs: 1 is master certified, one is certified, the 3rd is a highly experienced chassis tech (both gas and diesel) and the 4th I just hired, who in time I will get trained to get his certification. My 3 techs have been with me since I opened the shop, going into our 4th year. My service manager has over 10 years experience in the RV business. Collectively (not counting me) my employees have over 50 years experience in the RV service industry.

We work very hard to gain new customer's trust, and we have a very high number of repeat customers; probably 80% of them are repeat customers. Word of mouth is the best advertising we have (and it's FREE - just have to make sure to treat everyone fairly and do the best job you know how to every time).

We're not perfect. Sometimes a customer will have to come back to fix something that wasn't taken care of properly. But the majority of the time our customers are very happy and recommend us to their friends and family.

There are a few shops out there like us. I actually know several who try to do it right the first time and treat the customer with respect and fairness.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #40
I do my own work!
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #41
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
I do my own work!
Me too, who wants to pay the mark up on parts, the labor, and still may have to take it back!
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Not everyone is physically able, don't have the tools or be technically inclined and some are just not interested in doing their own work.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote