Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #1

RV Shelter Sweating?

Hi folks,
I am in the process of sorting out what to purchase for an RV shelter. After much research and consideration I am leaning towards one of the fabric style
(tarp type material). There are some very high quality versions on the market, some with a guarantee on the fabric of 10 years and a life expectancy of 15+ years.
There are pros and cons of anything however the only negative that worries me on this type of shelter is that apparently condensation can be an issue during humid weather. Where I live this might only be an issue for maximum 2 months of the year.
To counter this I plan on ordering the shelter with a 14' door on each end so that during humid times I can roll up both doors to get air moving through.
For those of you with this type of shelter have you experienced this problem, and if so how big a problem is it?
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #2

I also live on the East coast but do not have a shelter for my Rv but do have one for my car. I found it sweats all winter spring and fall . I am to the point I dont put my car in it any more because any thing aluminum will corrode over the winter and the chrome seems to rust. Maybe RV shelters maybe are different
fender47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

The solution to tin shelter sweat is to attach a large tarp to the underside of the roof using bungee cords. We have done this on my mother-in-law's carport and it works perfectly. It is drawn up along the roof line and doesn't show from the outside.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
Hi folks, I am in the process of sorting out what to purchase for an RV shelter. After much research and consideration I am leaning towards one of the fabric style (tarp type material). There are some very high quality versions on the market, some with a guarantee on the fabric of 10 years and a life expectancy of 15+ years. There are pros and cons of anything however the only negative that worries me on this type of shelter is that apparently condensation can be an issue during humid weather. Where I live this might only be an issue for maximum 2 months of the year. To counter this I plan on ordering the shelter with a 14' door on each end so that during humid times I can roll up both doors to get air moving through. For those of you with this type of shelter have you experienced this problem, and if so how big a problem is it?

Can you post a link to what you ordered? Or plan to order?
StevieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #5

Insulation is the only way to stop the sweating. I have a metal shop and it sweated to the point of raining inside and I finally insulated the roof. A heavy duty version of bubble wrap insulation is the best option installed between the frame and roof materiel.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ View Post
Can you post a link to what you ordered? Or plan to order?
These are made in Canada and have a very good reputation. Not cheap, but well made.

Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports, Shelters, Storage
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
These are made in Canada and have a very good reputation. Not cheap, but well made. Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports, Shelters, Storage
Looks nice, thank you
StevieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

I am actually on my second Cover-it, now made by Shelter-logic. My 1st one is approx.16 years old and still in great shape. I have had no issues with condensation but both are on asphalt , not gravel which tends to promote it.
2 doors is the way to go. Dont have it on my oldest one but do have it on my newest. If nothing else it elimantes the heat build up during the summer months. And yes, I am located in the east coast.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote