Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

RV Shows

Next weekend is the Tampa RV Show. I've heard this is the 2nd largest show in the country. I'm new to RVing & trying to learn. I live in Birmingham AL. There is also an RV show in Atlanta the following weekend that I can easily drive to. Is there any advantage to my wife & I flying to Tampa and attending that show as opposed to the one in Atlanta. I'm looking for used unit & I don't expect to find one at the show but I'm interested in what I could learn about RVing by attending shows such as one of these.

Is there a big advantage in attending the bigger show in Tampa?
RiverStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Atlanta should have a good variety for you to look at and learn from then the $$ you save from travel can go towards a nicer used unit.
Get the handouts and visit the web pages. Buying used you will have to research what is available vs. the latest and greatest you find at an RV show. In my area, folks bring used RVs to sell in the parking lot during the show.
Keep in mind the RV show is indoors and everything is staged very nicely.
I've had RVs for many years and still like to go to the shows for ideas. Have fun whatever you decide.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Might want to check the show's web site as I believe they offer a variety of seminars. Also have a lot of the manufacturers of RV stuff there too.

Wish we were going.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #4

We went to the show in Atlanta last year. We were surprised at how many RVs they are able to pack in that place! We were pleased with the selection of vehicles, and if you want to see more, Southern RV is right down the road. We'll be going there to look around after we leave the show, since we don't go to Jonesboro very often, and the only other RV dealership we've been to is our local Camping World.

It's a little overwhelming if it's your first time at an RV show. We know what to expect, now, and will be spending a lot more time asking questions and looking around. There are coupons on their website to save a buck on admission. Hope you have a great time, there.

- Crystal
cvanwieren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStone
Next weekend is the Tampa RV Show. I've heard this is the 2nd largest show in the country. I'm new to RVing & trying to learn. I live in Birmingham AL. There is also an RV show in Atlanta the following weekend that I can easily drive to. Is there any advantage to my wife & I flying to Tampa and attending that show as opposed to the one in Atlanta. I'm looking for used unit & I don't expect to find one at the show but I'm interested in what I could learn about RVing by attending shows such as one of these.

Is there a big advantage in attending the bigger show in Tampa?
If you are thinking in terms of a motorhome, here is what I suggest.

Go to the Atlanta show & look for floor plans and features you like and would prefer. Then see about attending the FMCA southeast rally in Brooksville, FL in February. Call FMCA and ask if you can attend the various seminars that are available throughout the rally. You will learn more on a wide variety of subjects from maintenance issues to lifestyle to tours at FMCA than at the Tampa show. There will also be show coaches at the Brooksville rally and there will be some used available. You will be close to LazyDays also which is a great place to visit regardless of where you buy. A short drive to Wildwood where Alliance coach is located. North Trails RV is 130 miles south of there at Fort Myers. All the above are great places to look and learn.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RiverStone,
While I'd like to recommend the Tampa show, if you don't know what your looking for it can be overwhelming. The Atlanta show may be a good place for you to begin the search.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think I would make a special trip to the Tampa show as a first step toward buying a used coach. I would think that Atlanta or other regional shows that you can go to easily will give you a good overview to new units and regional shows are better at building relationships with dealers that have used units.

Steve touched on something that we found most valuable in our search. We spent 2 days at Lazy Days just looking at the used units (I would guess there were around 30 units to look at while we there. We also went to North Trail in Fort Myers and spent a day through all of their used units (another 25 to 30). These two stops gave us much more valuable information toward floorplans, brand preferences, build quality, condition, etc. It also helped us to see the technological and style differences between coaches that are 15 years old, 10 years old, 5 years old, etc.

We ended up buying from a small dealer that just happened to have exactly what we wanted, but we would never have know what we wanted without being able to see 50 to 60 other units to compare.

Good Luck in your search... It is all part of the Adventure
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The best buys are at the shows. If buying used Atlanta will nope fine. However, at the Tampa show you will see everything the RV world has to offer. Competition is fierce so prices are extremely fair. Just my 2 cents worth!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote