Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
RV Shows - How do you deal with seeing updates to your coach model at the RV show?

I just went to the Detroit RV this past weekend in Novi, MI. General RV had a 2014 Coachmen Mirada 35LS on the floor. I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL which is basically the same coach. They have improved almost all of the things I do not like with my coach like making the fireplace standard, fixing the furnace ducting in the guest bath, changed the way the tv mounts in the bedroom to allow usage of the space behind the tv, additional cabinets in the driving area, DVD player dedicated to external tv, swing away external doors, improved split door engine access, standard full body paint, improved larger refrigerator, change to stainless fridge and microwave, recessed stove mounting, a much larger and accessible shower, and using tile backsplash versus mirror behind the stove. These updates almost had me opening the checkbook as they take a very good coach and make it much better for about what I paid for mine. I spent quite some time with the Coachmen rep who went over all the changes with me as well as explained how they decided to make the changes based on feedback from customers like me.

How do you handle it when I you see incremental or sometimes even exponential improvements to the same coach you just bought the year before? Do you kick yourself for not waiting a year? Try to make the same improvements yourself? Eat the depreciation loss and buy the new one? Hope you never see the new one on the road or in a park?

I just checked and my local General RV dealer has the same unit I saw at the show. Help talk me off the ledge here as I don't want to do something stupid!

_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Its the lifestyle that's important. The rv is just the tool to get there. If your still working, spending more might make you work longer. Time, now that's important.

If you don't want to get shot by the police, don't be a criminal!
Winnebago adventurer 37g, 96 tracker
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

We are new to fulltiming and our rig. We bought used and really love our unit. It really doesn't matter what you buy, there will always be new items, improvements on next's years model. If not, what would be the draw to buy new again.

My suggestion is just have fun with your unit and enjoy. If there is something that really bothers you, then take it in to update/fix.

Wish I could help more but Happy RV'ing.
George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you should trade, just let us know where you trade it soi can get a great deal on a like-new coach.;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
I take a look at the "updates" and then I take a look at the "UPDATED" price. I then feel a lot better. Example my Phaeton received several updates from 2013 to 2014. Tiffin also updated the price over $29,000.
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you trade it then never go to an RV show again, because the 2015's, wow are they special.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
May be the truest thing about going to an RV show...you see what it is going to cost you to satisfy 1) the things you did't like about you're RV after you bought it, and 2) how much it is going to cost to scratch the itch
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
I learned long ago not to browse new car lots, go to boat shows and if I broke down and went, to leave all titles and checkbook at home. Nothing good could possibly happen by looking at next years model.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Love going to the RV Shows. Hubby looks at what he can update himself. You don't have to trade, just Update!
kiscart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Originally Posted by kiscart View Post
Love going to the RV Shows. Hubby looks at what he can update himself. You don't have to trade, just Update!
I am leaning that way as well. I just got this one broken in and all the bugs worked out.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
We're lucky the updates to our unit involve color changes and neither one of us like the new color schemes.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Prior to our purchase of our new Tiffin Phaeton, Tiffin produced an overview of all odf the upgrades over the 2013. So glad we waited and ordered the 2014.
Having said that, some additions have already been included in the 2014 line such as, additional charging ports for laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc. I just bought the supplies and added them myself.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2014 Entegra on order and the 2015 are already being built. There are a lot of items on the 2015 I would like to have had, but I liked the 2014 when I ordered it, so I will add some of the 2015 improvements and save the $10,000 price increase.

Your situation is a personal preference. If there are more improvements than you can add, but can't live without, it would be trade up time. However if you liked your coach when you bought it, it might still meet your needs.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
I am thankful I did not wait. I am positive in my final moments I will not think "I wish I would have waited for updates on my my motorhome."

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote