Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

RV Slide is tearing my vinyl floor

We just had all the carpeting taken out of our 2001 Fleetwood Flair 31 A. A vinyl linoleum type product was laid down. The first few times there were no issues bringing the dinette/kitchen slide in and out. But this time the slide has torn the new vinyl. The kitchen counter has pulled away from the wall and the floor of the slide has dropped. If I push against the counter and lift/raise while pushing I can get it back into position. I have put some shims between the main floor and the bottom of the slide floor. But I need to get this corrected and fast. The wife is not amused with this shim arrangement. What solutions or suggestions can you offer. Thanks. Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Put the carpet back! Most manufacturers use carpet under the slides to reduce the friction when the slide moves over a stationary floor. Carpet is not just for decoration, it serves a purpose.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Go to Home Depot and buy some Rhino double sided tape. Pull the vinyl back and place the tape on the subfloor along tghe edge where the slide is pulling on the vinyl. Peel the backing off the other side of the tape and lay the vinyl down and press it down. This will help hold the vinyl down. The next thing you want to do is get some scrap carpet and place it where the rollers are on the slide and over the area of the vinyl that was damaged. You only put the carpet there when you are going to pull the slide in. You take them up when you are extended. This should fix your problem. I replaced the carpet in my old coach this past winter and I had to do this to stop the vinyl from rolling. It should work. Good luck.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Dealing with the operation of slides is always the most challenging part of changing the flooring. It sounds like you're not having trouble with the vinyl rolling up, but rather with it tearing from the friction placed on it by the retracting slide.

This can happen if the level of the new floor is higher than the carpeting which was taken out. I would take the coach back to the place you had replace the carpet and show them that their workmanship just doesn't cut it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

something structural is happening here, or lack of structural. The slide floor has dropped and that has caused the counter and the dinette to pull away from the wall. I can lift/push it back into place and hold it there, but as soon as I let go the slide droops. The slide is in tight but the slide floor is drooping and catching the vinyl. The vinyl is considerably thinner than the previous carpeting. I thought the slide would easily clear the vinyl... It did for a few weeks, but something has caused the floor of the slide to drop and the counter and dinette benches to pull away from the wall.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by laplaya View Post
something structural is happening here, or lack of structural. The slide floor has dropped and that has caused the counter and the dinette to pull away from the wall. I can lift/push it back into place and hold it there, but as soon as I let go the slide droops.
Yeah I thought I read that right, the other post had me confused. I agree with you, sounds like a serious structural issue. Perhaps, and I say that because I am guessing, there is some support offered by the thicker carpet and pad to carry the weight of the floor of the slide. That is hard to imagine though. But you have to assume some kind of cause and effect here. I agree with you too that this needs to be addressed ASAP.

I avoided the floorplans that had kitchens on the slide when we were shopping because of the weight issue and plumbing and electric connections.

Keep us posted on the resolution. In my opinion slides are a love/hate thing, love the extra room - hate the additional "moving parts".
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
something structural is happening here, or lack of structural. The slide floor has dropped and that has caused the counter and the dinette to pull away from the wall. I can lift/push it back into place and hold it there, but as soon as I let go the slide droops. The slide is in tight but the slide floor is drooping and catching the vinyl. The vinyl is considerably thinner than the previous carpeting. I thought the slide would easily clear the vinyl... It did for a few weeks, but something has caused the floor of the slide to drop and the counter and dinette benches to pull away from the wall.
Most slide systems use either nylon skids or nylon rollers on the leading edge of the slide to support it's weight (I have 5 on my 16ft slide). Your problem sounds like these installers either removed them or the difference in the height between the carpet and the new vinyl was too great. Either way, they should have known better.

At this point, if rollers were removed, they need to be re-installed and shimmed. If still there, they need to have shims installed to raise the leading edge.

Skids are a whole different matter. They will scratch a vinyl floor (been there done that). I had to remove the skids and replace with much larger blocks of wood covered in carpet.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post

Most slide systems use either nylon skids or nylon rollers on the leading edge of the slide to support it's weight (I have 5 on my 16ft slide). Your problem sounds like these installers either removed them or the difference in the height between the carpet and the new vinyl was too great. Either way, they should have known better.

At this point, if rollers were removed, they need to be re-installed and shimmed. If still there, they need to have shims installed to raise the leading edge.

Skids are a whole different matter. They will scratch a vinyl floor (been there done that). I had to remove the skids and replace with much larger blocks of wood covered in carpet.
Does the slide in unit need to be removed or is there a way to look at and adjust the rollers?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #9

Does the whole slide have to be removed from the Motorhome, or can I access and look at the rollers somehow.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #10

Two suggestions: I wax the bottom of my slide to keep it slippery. Bottom of my slide is covered with a black fiberglass material. This seems to help. Half of my kitchen slide rides on carpet and half rides on linoleum. I use the Aerospace ---- spray (sorry I can not remember full name as my motorhome is currently being serviced and the spray is in the motorhome). Second suggestion is to place carpeting strips upside down under the slide when you are bringing in the slide. There are plastic slide strips available at RV centers like camping world, but I do not think they are thick enough for your situation. By your description, it seems like you need the support between the newly installed floor and the bottom of the slide when the slide is in its travel position. Cut carpet strips about 8-10 inches wide and just slightly shorter than the depth of the slide. Good luck
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had a similar problem with the full wall slide and I used high molecular weight plastic from Rockler woodworking supply. It is 3" wide with adhesive on one side. Cut short strips and shove them under the slide by bringing it in a short distance. With the glue side up they will stick to the slide, retract and then extend the slide room. I used 20 four inch pieces spaced along the slide and it works great in preventing scratches to our Wood floor. Slide moves much easier with this super slick material providing a low friction surface.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #12

My discovery had the same problem. I secured the cabinet to the wall with aluminum angle and lots of rivets. The original slide skid had come of before I got the rv. I made a new one out of 3/4 inch thick oil impregnated plexiglas plastic. This stuff is used in production lines and available at tap plastics. I installed where the old skid was with aluminum strips and screws. Pm me if you want pix.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
First- secure your cabinets to the wall with some L brackets - remove the drawers so you can do this.
you can use some luxury vinyl planks as slide slickers to lay on top of the vinyl
Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Does the slide in unit need to be removed or is there a way to look at and adjust the rollers?
No need to remove slide for mine and never heard of anyone needing to. With slide partially in, I used a block of wood for a folcrum and a crow bar to raise the leading edge of the slide. The skids in the dinette were mounted on L brackets and screwed to the face of the slide, covered by a wood trim piece.

The ones under the couch were just screwed in vertically. The first few attempts I just raised them high enough to attach felt to the bottom. That didn't work and when I realized the tremendious weight that was on each skid. This is when I removed them by just prying them off and replaced with large blocks of wood covered in carpet. Gorrilla glue used on carpet to wood and wood to slide bottom.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide