Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

RV storage?

OK folks, if you store your RV at a storage center. What do you do about the batteries? We are moving and will have to store off our property for the 1st time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
How long will you be storing it? When I put mine away for the winter (6 months of storage) I pull the batteries out and trickle charge them over the winter.

Do you have a solar panel trickle charger? If so you may want to leave them in if you are not leaving it stored for that length of time.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am soon going to be dealing with same issue. Storage facility has no electric so plan to get one of the portable suit case solar systems. My coach will be under cover so I will set the panels up outside the cover. The system is two panels, built in controller, cable with clamps, 120 watt.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am soon going to be dealing with same issue. Storage facility has no electric so plan to get one of the portable suit case solar systems. My coach will be under cover so I will set the panels up outside the cover. The system is two panels, built in controller, cable with clamps, 120 watt.
....and hope that somebody doesn't walk off with it and your batteries then go dead and are ruined. I think I'd pull the batteries, and have them on a trickle charger at home (as much of a pain that would be to slug them around).
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

SML Ranger, Did you find covered storage in Virginia?

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Removing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
....and hope that somebody doesn't walk off with it and your batteries then go dead and are ruined. I think I'd pull the batteries, and have them on a trickle charger at home (as much of a pain that would be to slug them around).
Its probably a good idea to take them out once a year anyway to clean up the battery compartment and make sure no corrosion is affecting the compartment floor under the batteries. when out just take them on home and put them on a battery maintainer. I only use one maintainer at home and when I see the indicator showing the maintainer has halted charging I switch it to another battery until all are up to snuff and repeat the process.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I store outdoor and leave batteries in. I just go to my coach once a week and run the generator to keep them charged. No covered storage or power options in this area (Northern Va).
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #8

I have a shut off solenoid for the house and a manual switch for the engine. I shut them both off. I put a 50 watt solar panel on the roof in place of the factory 10 watt or whatever it was. Everything stays charged but it dies t get cold here either.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1947 View Post
OK folks, if you store your RV at a storage center. What do you do about the batteries? We are moving and will have to store off our property for the 1st time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Not at a storage center but there are times when our Itasca doesn't get used for 2 or 3 months. What seems to work well is to disconnect the batteries (i installed a chassis disconnect and i use the coach's disconnect). I go out at least once a month to at least start/drive for a few miles and to exercise the genset.

I'd say it would be a good idea to check on your rig occasionally anyway, so if the storage center isn't too far from you, the above might be something to consider.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
That is a concern. I plan to secure it to the structure that supports the RV port.

I am still trying to talk the facility owner into installing more electric. He stores his own coach there and has a 50 amp service in his stall. He may install another panel when he gets enough of these ports up and rented.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
SML Ranger, Did you find covered storage in Virginia?

Mike
I hope so. The owner of a storage facility about 7 miles from my home just purchased a motorhome. He put up a large carport for his coach and a second one for a friend's coach. Based on my urging and urging from some of his other tenants with RV's, he is seeking approval to put up 8 more RV ports. I have reserved one.

It is not perfect but it is close by and secured. I am still pondering buying some land to build a storage building/shop.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I hope so. The owner of a storage facility about 7 miles from my home just purchased a motorhome. He put up a large carport for his coach and a second one for a friend's coach. Based on my urging and urging from some of his other tenants with RV's, he is seeking approval to put up 8 more RV ports. I have reserved one.

It is not perfect but it is close by and secured. I am still pondering buying some land to build a storage building/shop.
That's great, wish we had that in Northern Va. I've heard of one place that would store indoors with power but they were charging something like $550 a month. I thought that was way too expensive!

Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage