Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RV storage question

Is it better to park your RV on a gravel storage pad or a cement one? Have the space and trying to decide which woul be better. If I put in cement I would just make a cement area for the front and back which has a tag. Would cost more for the cement so trying to decide if it is worth the extra work and cost. Thanks for your ideas.

Living the Dream------ Largo, Fl.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A cement pad for the entire size of the Coach, no gravel or dirt under it to avoid moisture under it would be my vote......Then.......a garage on it down the road! To protect your new baby......

Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

I think most would agree that concrete is better than gravel, but it is VERY expensive by comparison. Some things to consider. Will you be working under the rig? Draining fluids or doing other work? Will you use the prepared surface for other things beside storing the rig?

How about a comprimise? You could put concrete pads down where the wheels and/or jacks will rest and leave the rest gravel. Another solution would be to run long narrow strips where the wheels will run and leave the rest gravel.

I put down concrete pads just for my jack pads and used that setup for a number of years until I fully concreted the area.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a cement pad and yes it is better, sturdier and big enough that I can move my ladder around to wash, check seams etc. However a gravel pad would work just fine as long as it is prepared right. I park on a gravel pad for three months during football season and it has no problem with moisture. I put jack pads under the jacks and that's all I do special. I had a gravel pad for years and no problems. Proper base prep is the key.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Memory foam pads under the tires are the best to relieve the stress on the rubber.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the cutting boards from Sams Club. They are thick enough not to break and big enough. At $8.49 plus tax they are a cheap way to protect tires. Mine are over a year old now and going strong.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Memory foam????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Memory foam pads under the tires are the best to relieve the stress on the rubber.
I would think it would end up about as thick as a piece of paper by the time you put 10,000# and more in some cases........
What does the memory have in it that make it protect the tire's so well? Just wondering
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
With the weeds in FL I would go all concrete. If you do your own maintenance, concrete will be much nicer.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I would think it would end up about as thick as a piece of paper by the time you put 10,000# and more in some cases........
What does the memory have in it that make it protect the tire's so well? Just wondering
When you order the pads from TIRECOMFORT.COM, you need to know the psi you coach puts on the ground surface. The correct thickness of pads is then computed to ensure you're tires are cradled in comfort. The 18" thick pads were suitable for our coach. The chemical polyitsasarcasticstatementglycol used in the manufacturing of memory foam is a great tire preservant.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #10

On a more serious note, concrete is best, gravel is ok. Depends on the base soil substrate in your area. If your area becomes soft in the winter or more prevelant rain situation, I would go with concrete. If sinking is not a problem then gravel will do. Our coach sits on gravel and have seen no ill affects.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
That is quite a word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
When you order the pads from TIRECOMFORT.COM, you need to know the psi you coach puts on the ground surface. The correct thickness of pads is then computed to ensure you're tires are cradled in comfort. The 18" thick pads were suitable for our coach. The chemical polyitsasarcasticstatementglycol used in the manufacturing of memory foam is a great tire preservant.
Now that has to be the "newest" , longest word in the English language ! by a long shot My Lord!
Thank you for the reply, but at 18" +, Most would not be able to use them as most mud flaps are not that high off the traveled road surface. Interesting at the least though! Thank you.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure, concrete is best, and also the most expensive. I put in a DG (decomposed granite) driveway and parking pad several years ago. Very solid, not loose like gravel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think your coach cares a whit what it is parked on. That is for your convenience. What your coach cares about-- more specifically your tires-- is that there should be a layer of plastic between your rubber and any porous or semi-porous surface. And yes, concrete is porous and crushed stone can be porous! Doesn't have to be fancy plastic, either. Buy yourself half a dozen properly sized "For Sale" signs at Walmart- a buck, maybe buck and a half apiece- and put one under each tire.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Gravel is better for tires than concrete.

If you use concrete the tires should be parked on something to isolate the rubber from the concrete. Rubber tires and concrete will have a chemical reaction that prematurely ages the tires.

Tags
storage