Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV STORAGE STANDS Holiday Rambler

Hi, I will be storing my Endeavor in a large metal insulated building for the winter. I will still be using the coach once a month until spring. I am going to make "storage stands" for it. These will be made of stacked crossties to make a stand 12" by 12" at the top and 18" by 18" at the bottom. I will build 4 of them, one for each leveling jack. The idea is to 1) back the coach in, 2) slide in the "storage stands" under the leveling jacks, 3) bleed off the air bags and just let the coach settle down on them. When ready to go, I can fire the coach up, let her rise on her own, then move out the stands. The stands will have wheels sticking out on one end where when you lift the handle that will stick out from under the coach on the other end, the stand rides out on the wheels. The question is, will this hurt the leveling jacks if they have no pressure on them? you will ask, why do this?? well to actually not have the stands loaded for long periods if time and to make me feel a little safer when under it for any reason and take loads off of suspension...ok any thoughts out there? thanks Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have read and reread this and still don't understand why you want to do this. Does not make sense to us. What year is your MH? Do the airbags not deflate when you turn the engine off?

We store our MH in a covered storage area but not with jacks down. Our airbags deflate once it realizes it is in a park mode.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Although I am not a full timer we have been living in our MH for a year and a half due to a work commitment. For the last year and a half we along with thousands of full timers have had our MH leveled by the leveling jacks. Although we have taken vacations basically ours has had the leveling jacks extended with a load on them for the full period of time.

I do not understand why you feel you have to make a system that will support your vehicle. If you do not want to leave it on the leveling jacks leave it on the suspension. Your suspension is made to take the weight of the motor home when traveling. when you make a turn more of the weight shifts to the downhill side of the turn. When you hit a road obstruction the amount of force felt by your suspension is equal to a tremendous increase in weight. Why do you feel that you need to suspend it off of the suspension. There are thousands of MH stored every year without doing this and seem to have no ill effects because of it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Interesting question grthigpen. An answer from someone who has never seen the inside of a jack leg.....I wouldn't think it would make any difference if the jacks were holding up the coach or resting on stands holding up the coach. I am assuming you have the hydraulic jacks and not the electric jacks, right?

I have read of others doing the same thing as you are doing. They feel it is important to protect the chrome hydraulic leg from the ravages of winter.

I would also imagine R/R Ties would be heavy, even with wheels, so I sure hope you have a smooth concrete floor!

If you do this, let us know how it goes for you, OK?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Ok, here was my reasoning for doing this..... if these are dumb to some so be it...1) it will have the body held at a high point where i can get under it easily to do maintenance and check different systems without depending on the jacks to hold it up (safety for me) since its too low when its is dropped down on the bottom, 2) would take the full load off of the axles so i could, if needed, to jack up either the front or rear axles to check brakes with a std roll around jack, 3) i am old school and thought it would be a good idea to take the load off of the suspension and tires when not in use and let the air bags go neutral instead of smashed down when the bag system is vented out. anyway, glad we went from 5th wheel to a coach and plan to enjoy it for years thanks for replies Gene
Old 10-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post
Ok, here was my reasoning for doing this..... if these are dumb to some so be it...1) it will have the body held at a high point where i can get under it easily to do maintenance and check different systems without depending on the jacks to hold it up (safety for me) since its too low when its is dropped down on the bottom, 2) would take the full load off of the axles so i could, if needed, to jack up either the front or rear axles to check brakes with a std roll around jack, 3) i am old school and thought it would be a good idea to take the load off of the suspension and tires when not in use and let the air bags go neutral instead of smashed down when the bag system is vented out. anyway, glad we went from 5th wheel to a coach and plan to enjoy it for years thanks for replies Gene
I am considering the same thing, and for the same purpose. I would like to support the weight of the coach with something other than the hydraulic jacks for maintenance, modifications, etc. I'm working on a gravel pad, so the footprint of any supporting structure will have to be sufficiently broad to be stable in all directions on the gravel surface. We have about a 5-month off-season here in New Hampshire, and it would be nice to get the tires off the ground for that period.

Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

My concern would be the jacks supporting the weight of the coach without being supported by the fluid. It would be the jack resting on the jack housing vs. the jack resting on fluid pressure.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCDevilDog View Post
My concern would be the jacks supporting the weight of the coach without being supported by the fluid. It would be the jack resting on the jack housing vs. the jack resting on fluid pressure.

thank you for getting us back on track with the original question....
Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's more than just the weight of the coach resting on the fluid vs. something more rigid. I know that my coach is not unique in this respect. My Power Gear jack system allows hydraulic fluid to flow between the front jacks while extended. The rear jacks provide the side-to-side leveling, while the fronts work like a see-saw to prevent torsional flexing of the frame and coach floor. A rigid support system would not have this flexibility, so the parking surface would need to be very flat, and the supports would have to be precisely constructed, to prevent torsional flex. It's not impossible, but needs to be considered when building the supports.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

The bottom line is, it is your coach and if you feel this is the route you feel is best, go for it. As long as you keep it "safe" for you to be under the coach for PM, then do it.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IF you are going to be working on it all of the mechanics I see use Jack stands.

I think your plan has a flaw in it. I believe you intend to put some kind of homemade jack stand under the jacks and then lower the air bags letting the coach settle closer to the floor and in your plan take pressure off of the suspension and the tires.

you do realize that the jacks are attached to the frame. Lowering the pressure in the air bags is not going to lower the frame any and you will have the same pressure on the suspension and the tires. Basically you will have the space between the jacks and the home made stand the same whether you have air in the air bags or not.

Remember the air bags are between the coach body and the frame. The only thing affecting the distance of the frame from the ground is the tires and the leveling jacks.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:17 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
IF you are going to be working on it all of the mechanics I see use Jack stands.

I think your plan has a flaw in it. I believe you intend to put some kind of homemade jack stand under the jacks and then lower the air bags letting the coach settle closer to the floor and in your plan take pressure off of the suspension and the tires.

you do realize that the jacks are attached to the frame. Lowering the pressure in the air bags is not going to lower the frame any and you will have the same pressure on the suspension and the tires. Basically you will have the space between the jacks and the home made stand the same whether you have air in the air bags or not.

Remember the air bags are between the coach body and the frame. The only thing affecting the distance of the frame from the ground is the tires and the leveling jacks.

The air bag suspension is between the axles and the bottom of the frame, the same place that you would find leaf or coil springs on a car.

The RV body is attached directly to the top of the frame, with no cushioning between them.

Jack stands are a good idea, if you have a suitably flat and stable surface for them. They go between the ground and the axles and can hold the entire vehicle off the ground. There is a small window of suspension travel where the frame, powertrain, fluid tanks, generator, and body are supported by the leveling jacks (and/or other bracing) and the tires are still on the ground. In this position, you can release some pressure from the air bags, use a floor jack to lift only the weight of the axle off of the ground, and place the jack stands in the proper position. This is a lot easier in the front than in the rear. When the rear tires are off the ground, you lose the stabilizing effect of the parking brake.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

I agree. Only your hydraulic jacks will raise the frame. I use a pair of 22 ton jack stands from Summit Racing anytime I'm under the coach. If I wanted to support the frame I'd use the hydraulic coach jacks to go as high a possible and put these jack stands to the frame and then pull the coach jacks back up lowering the frame to the jack stands. These cost about $150/pair.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
I agree. Only your hydraulic jacks will raise the frame. I use a pair of 22 ton jack stands from Summit Racing anytime I'm under the coach. If I wanted to support the frame I'd use the hydraulic coach jacks to go as high a possible and put these jack stands to the frame and then pull the coach jacks back up lowering the frame to the jack stands. These cost about $150/pair.
I agree with this post completely.

There is a lot of speculation about having the tires off the ground and the air bags supporting the suspension. If you do what is recommended in this post. Raise the motor home with the jacks. Raise one end at a time a little bit not all at once. Raise to the point where the some of the weight is off of the suspension. Set your jackstands to this height. Raise the coach enough to get the jack stands under it then lower the coach jacks until setting on the jack stands. This will take some of the weight off of the suspension and off of the tires and will safely support your coach.

I still think this is unnecessary but if you believe it is in your best interest then do what you believe you need to do.

Tags
holiday rambler, storage