Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #15

TM3 - In my previous post I said I would replace all the tires before or as soon as I got the coach. But then you posted again about the money. So let me pass on to you a story from this summer. I parked next to a coach similar to mine and talked to the owner for a while. Turns out he had been in the tire business for 40 years. He had at one time owned 3 tire stores. He made this statement to me, "In my 40 years in the business I have never seen a tire that blew from old age. Almost all tire failures have to do with under inflation."

IMHO running with tires over six years old on a RV is a risk. You have to decide if you can take that risk or not. To minimize damage if you loose the bet you can replace the steer tires. If a back tire blows it can ruin you whole day. A front tire on the other hand is much more dangerous.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
If it were me the first place I would drive to is a tire dealer. Or better yet get them to change the tires while doing the other stuff. Make SURE!!!! the give you new tires. Do not let anyone fob off anything older than 3 months on you.
I'm with you on this one Bob. When we purchased our 2004 Damon Escaper everything was immaculate. The tires tread looked great but there were cracks in the sidewalls.

The day after we picked the coach up I had an appointment to have six Toyo's installed. I also installed a TST TMPS on the coach and the toad.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One blown tire at highway speeds can cost more in damage than a new set of tires, not to discount the chance of an accident. Replacement does not have to be Michlens,
you can probably save a thousand dollars by going with some other brands. Also look for cracks in the tread grooves.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #18

I'll bet at the FMCA pricing for Michelins you can't possibly beat that.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
I'll bet at the FMCA pricing for Michelins you can't possibly beat that.

I'm curiuos.

Is $357.00 per tire including tax for Michelin XRV 235/80-22.5 better than the FMCA deal or worse? That is the Costco price I got for two week old tires.

I could not get the FMCA deal to work---local dealer (national accounts) either did not know of it , or did not know how it worked. I called Michelin and the only other dealer they could give me was 110 miles away. I became very uncomfortable with the idea of having the tires installed and then finding out the price---which is the way FMCA says it works. Since I had the $357.00 no mystery attached I went with that.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
... I became very uncomfortable with the idea of having the tires installed and then finding out the price---which is the way FMCA says it works. ...
See Mr_D post (prior post this thread) and more details from him/others in the Newmar thread "essex tires" also linked in my prior post this thread.

My prior post also links to a FMCA pdf table of the prices for various sizes.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
See Mr_D post (prior post this thread) and more details from him/others in the Newmar thread "essex tires" also linked in my prior post this thread.

My prior post also links to a FMCA pdf table of the prices for various sizes.
Thanks for that---I wonder why they are so secretive and insistent that the price cannot be divulged---then you can come up with this information.

I beat the price through Costco.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I beat the price through Costco.
I tried that, they could beat the price but couldn't mount the 22.5's. By the time I added that at another dealer it was higher than the dealer I finally went with.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #23

Quote:
...I beat the price through Costco.
On a Michelin?

I did notice wildly varying "discounts" in the FMCA pricing. For my 315/22.5 FMCA is almost $600 and retail anywhere is close to $1k so that makes a huge difference. Other sizes not so much of a discount. Strange FMCA pricing...
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #24

Just went through the FMCA / Michelin process for my 2001 DSDP acquired earlier this year. The tires on the coach were original when I got it...they look great, but began showing small sidewall cracks. I decided to change them all out, and started investigating the FMCA deal. Not many dealers in North Central FL we knowledgeable of the process, but was lucky enough to find a local guy, along with his tire rep. that worked through the process with Michelin. Bought 6 - 275/80/22.5 LR-H for just over $500 each. These were XAZ3+ with matched DOT codes 3811. Had to wait about 4 weeks for delivery from Canada. Cost about $40 each to mount and balance with beads, sold the carcase for about $30 each...very happy with the deal.
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last winter I set up camp at a San Antonio campground. Shortly after we got there my new neighbor pulled in and we got to talking. He recently bought a used coach with old, but great looking tires. He planned to change them out, but wanted to milk them a bit longer. Turns out his arrival to the park hit a slight delay due to a rear tire blowing off the rim, slapping about the wheel well, tearing out parts of the structure and a wiring harness - thankfully nobody got hurt, but that may have been a different story had it been a front tire. Said the repairs cost him $3,000, plus he bought a new set of tires all the way around, figuring the others may not be far behind. Kicked himself in the shorts for not buying sooner! Bottom line is... it's your pocketbook, it's your coach, it's your life.... hence, it's your and ONLY YOUR call - you can pay the man now, or potentially pay several men later.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
OH NO!! Another death threat from a front tire blow out.
When will they take time to watch the Michelin video, on what to do when a blow out happens.

It works. I have used the method twice now running 55-60 MPH on Michelin 22.5" tires, stopping in a straight line, no lane change, and NO damage of any kind to the MH. One was a front right.

He must have had a very high deductible Insurance to pay out $3,000 on repairs. That is called Comprehensive Coverage damage.

I would like to see your document on how many front tire blow outs result in a Death. From someone that has seen the Michelin video and applied that knowledge? Also what percent of RV blow outs have damage and the average cost of repairs.

What were the DOT dates on your new neighbors tire that blew out?

You didn't say what old was to you in tire age. 4 years, 5 years, 6 years etc.?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
For what it's worth....
If I was strting over in a new to me 7 year old motorhome...
I would be doing it on new tires.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #28

My 2004 MH came with 2003 Goodyear G670s that looked great. No cracking and only 15K on them. When I replaced them with Toyos, the tire dealer said my G670s looked great. I've had enough blow outs and separations that I don't want to take that chance.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase