Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Triker56... Reread my own post a number of times now, and simply can not find the word "death" in there one time. I don't have all the info you're looking for because I really didn't think it was my business to give someone I just met the third degree! I'm simply passing on the info that I got. Hope you have a wonderful decaffinated day!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #30

From my Experience, Michelin's are a blow-out just waiting to happen, and as a bonus, the customer service sucks and blames you for a "Run-Flat" tire, even though it blew up with enough force to knock an 18 wheeler into another lane.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #31
TM3

Thanks everyone for the good opinions. The coach is at the Workhorse dealer having the break recall completed, coolant changed, and I am having them install the fuel filter updated by pass. I asked them to take a look at the tires and give me thier recommendation. They did comment on how good the tires look, no cracks or evidence of weathering anywhere. I most likely will have them replaced but would like to make sure I will be happy with the coach. When I purchased the unit Carfax showed the chassis as a W22 but Workhorse confirmed that it is actually a W20. Is there any big differences other than axle weight ratings? Thanks again for all the input.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Huester View Post
Triker56... Reread my own post a number of times now, and simply can not find the word "death" in there one time.
Sorry! I must have taken: "Bottom line is... it's your pocketbook, it's your coach, it's your life.." the wrong way.

And "thankfully nobody got hurt, but that may have been a different story had it been a front tire."

Are they a lot of injures from front tire blow outs?
Is tire pieces going through the RV body and hitting riders inside?
Or maybe you can explain better how someone gets hurt from a front tire blow out. Or maybe what the different story means.

Sorry I am still confused while on my third cup of non decaffeinated this morning.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #33

Hello Ted, as you can see opinions on tires are all over the place. Depending on the date code on your tires they are soon to be 7 years old or older. It just kills me to take off tires thet "look"new, but they are a cost to be considered in the world of RVing. Put it another way a $3000.00 set of tires 7 years old = $428.57 dollars per year, less than most people pay for sat tv. Tires are made of rubber, fabric and steel cords, as such they degrade over time even if they have never been on the ground, let alone being subject to heat, potholes curbs and such. While a blown tire is usually not going to cause the ultimate distruction of the RV and every thing around it, it can get costly quick, and cause a lot of damage, and at the very least a major PITA as they never happen in the driveway. Running on old tires is kind of like gambleing with the devil, sooner or later we know who's going to win that game.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #34

Lots of good info and opinions...you have to do what your comfortable with. I'd change the tires if it were me for my piece of mind.

Now for tire inspections by professionals....what can they see that you can not see with your own 2 eyes? Not a thing. The pros don't have special xray tire inspection glasses or superman vision..they are people just like you and I. A tire inspection is really nothing more than a common sense look at the tire which we all can do. If paying someone to look at your tires and give their "opinion" makes you feel better, then by all means do it....but you can do the same inspection yourself
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
.... Is tire pieces going through the RV body and hitting riders inside?
Or maybe you can explain better how someone gets hurt from a front tire blow out.....
RE: tire debris inside the RV. Of course not. BUT, front tire blowouts are highly conducive to loss of control accidents - particularly if you jam on the brakes. Rear tire blowouts not so much.

Here's 2 Michelin videos, one about maintenance and one about blow-outs. It seems you might greatly benefit from both, especially the blow-out one.

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page
Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #36

My very recent learning expecience with tires

I have a 1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser which we bought 2 years ago in Ga.
It had nice looking 2004 dated 22.5 tires (set) on it when I bought it and my long experience with tires and mH's trucks etc I looked at them and believed they would be good for several more years. I really closely inspected them for weather checking on both the side wall and tread and was satisfied with my decision. I am almost religious about tire pressures and check them before every trip going and coming so I thought I was paying good attention to my tires.
On a recent trip to Fla. We left home and were going thru Baton Rouge approx. 50 miles from home when The right outside dual separated and blew damaging the side of the MH. We were able to get off the freeway and I removed the damaged fender while the road service came and put My spare on. 50 more miles down the road the spare blew out doing still more damage to the fender. We limped to a state park and got a tire the next day. Coincidentally the new tire was the same brand and type as the original tires which got me to looking at the differences between the new 2011 tire and the original 2004 tires. Even with a magnifying glass I don't believe you can tell the difference between the tires as far as looks. My paperwork for the original tires (still in the MH) indicate these tires have about 25K mile since new. So I even have trouble telling the tires apart by looking at the tread. To make a long story short Visual inspection does no good. If I were you I'd get new tires. I did as soon as I got home (we didn't continue on to Fla.) I hope this is helpful. I for one am now a believer. These tires will be removed at 6 years if I still have the coach.
Good luck to you
Gordon
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
For what it's worth....
If I was strting over in a new to me 7 year old motorhome...
I would be doing it on new tires.
Yep: We were kind of interested in a 2006 Essex, but I told them part of the deal would be new tires! We didn't buy it though as my wife didn't like the dinette arrangement although they were willing to change that too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
From my Experience, Michelin's are a blow-out just waiting to happen, and as a bonus, the customer service sucks and blames you for a "Run-Flat" tire, even though it blew up with enough force to knock an 18 wheeler into another lane.
I've run Michelins since I first got my own car (around 1964 or so). In that time I've had ONE blowout and it was a GoodYear that was on my '97 Jeep GC when I bought it. Then there was my 1968 Buick GC 400, came with GoodYears and I had a ROCK go through the tread, had a hard time getting them to warranty it as they said a rock could never go through the tread. I picked the rock out myself.
GoodYear is having aq bad time with rivering and is denying any responsibility, saying "it's normal wear"
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Lots of good info and opinions...you have to do what your comfortable with. I'd change the tires if it were me for my piece of mind.

Now for tire inspections by professionals....what can they see that you can not see with your own 2 eyes? Not a thing. The pros don't have special xray tire inspection glasses or superman vision..they are people just like you and I. A tire inspection is really nothing more than a common sense look at the tire which we all can do. If paying someone to look at your tires and give their "opinion" makes you feel better, then by all means do it....but you can do the same inspection yourself
If you follow Michelins recommendation you will see that they say to have the tires inspected by a professional every year starting at 5 years old. That's what I did and found it to be worthless. To do it correctly requires the tires to be dismounted and inspected inside for broken or rusty cords/plies. The "expert" I went to never even tried to do that or advise me to have it done.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #40

The first car I bought was a 65 GTO and I wore out the Michelin's that came on it. My 94 Dodge Ram came with Michelin's and I wore them out. I put Michelin's on my 97 Dodge Ram 2500. With less than 5000 on them, the right rear blew out the side of my truck bed and exhaust section. Discount Tires sent the remains to Michelin and Janet Stevens sent me a bunch of propaganda and stated that it was "Run Flat". A tire that blow up with 80 PSI is not run flat. I had it replaced in Yuma as I did not want to travel without a spare. That Michelin blew out with about the same miles on it, again taking out the right side of my truck and exhaust pipe.

This time, the body shop recommended an independent company that investigates and reconstructs accidents and they told Michelin that it was the fault of the tire which also went kaboom with 80 PSI. I told DT to get all the M tires off of my truck and replace them with GY Silent Armor tires. I have almost wore out the rear GY's without a single incident or problem. I checked my tire pressures on the truck and the 5er it pulled the morning of every trip. The second and last ever Michelin blow out cost Michelin $1000 for my decuctable, but it cost me a lot more and they lost more than one customer.

I'm glad you have had good success with Michelin's, but you can't pay me enough to put even a spare Michelin on my vehicles. I've read that if the brand name starts with M, it is prone to cracking and if it is a GY, they are prone to "Rivering", that GY won't own up to. Hence, I went with Toyo's that are given a good grade for riding softer and being quieter. Both of which I have experienced.

The 2003 GY's I took off looked great with only 15K on them. Being 8 years old, they had to go, even though the tire store said they looked great. I put a TST TPMS on the MH and the 20' enclosed I am now towing.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase