Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
I picked up an air hose at a Flying J pump island and as always, pressed the valve first. Water shot out. The manager knew about it and was not particularly concerned. Could account for your rust. Now I only use my own compressor to fill the tires.
I believe you're correct, moisture is what caused the cords to corroded. And the thin flexing sidewall on the XRV 235/80-22.5 tire is what allowed the delimitation of the cords. The corrosion was the visible evidence, but only a secondary failure cause. At less that was the tire shop owners thinking at the time (2003).
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 06:23 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post

I am sorry, you misinterpreted my meaning. "I" never use 303 on "MY" tires.

Why bother, they do fine without it, on my replacement schedule. Aged tires have more weakness then side wall checking.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. When I read your post initially it didn't come across that way but now I see how it could be interpreted to include I and MY.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Sorry about the misunderstanding. When I read your post initially it didn't come across that way but now I see how it could be interpreted to include I and MY.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I type like I talk...and the meaning is not always what I mean. But I do buy 303 by the gal. Use it on roof to leather seats. Just not concerned about keeping tires more than 6 yrs. Go well.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
When I am parked for extended periods I always mount my MCD Tire Shades on the edge of the wheel wells.

However, for anyone that doesn't use tire shades or covers of any kind then applying a coat of 303 Aerospace protectant is recommended to reduce the UV affects on the tire. Maybe even it your do use covers the 303 would be beneficial as I am guessing that UV can come from all directions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #61

First, let me say that I'm in a different league from most of you. I bought my first motor home this week. It will be used very sparingly. It will rarely be driven more than 50 miles as we will be camping at the 7 state parks that are close to us.

After carefully examining all the tires, I feel that I need to replace the front two tires. Date and sidewall cracks. I have eight tires on the motor home and shelling out a few thousand for tires right now, isn't happening. I am looking for the tires that a cheapskate would by. Currently the vehicle has Hankook 8R19.5 on it.

If I were to purchase truck tires for the two front ones and they were a different size than the back six does that present a problem? I found several old threads about 225/70R19.5's on here. Obviously, I am still learning about RV's.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:34 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Tires are not an item that you should cheapen up on, you life is riding on those tires. Plus it doesn't matter whether you are driving thousands of miles or a few hundred miles from your home. A tire doesn't know the difference.

When purchasing any RV, tires are one of the important items to look closely at as to whether they will need to be replaced or not. If so then that is normally negotiated into the purchase price.

Being a RV newbie, you will eventually understand what items are important and what can wait.

I have friends that purchased a 40 foot motor-coach and when driving it to their home, had a front tire blowout which vaulted them off the road and caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. Luckily they were not hurt.

There are numerous threads on this forum where you can read of similar situations. Just search for Front Tire Blowout in the powered by Google bar above.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #63

I agree on the importance of tires on an RV, especially on the front. That also weighed into my decision to replace those front two. Yes, I'm a newbie. Yes, I understand that tires are important and shouldn't wait. I've seen the videos and read the threads about front tire blow out causing rollovers, again, why I'm replacing the front tires first. I'm not even driving the coach to the tire store, those tires will ride there in the back of my Prius. (Quit laughing, men do drive Prius, too.)

The big question that I have is 8R19.5 or 225/70R19.5 which ones are less expensive? I am going to put new tires on but I need to put inexpensive new tires on the rig. The next five years will be driven, three to four times a year on trips under 50 miles away reached via two lane roads.

My concerns are:

Is it a problem to have 8R19.5 on the rear six tires and 225/70R19.5 on the front?

Will buying 225/70R19.5 save me money? I'd like to get two tires for this thing for $400 if I can find that.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
I type like I talk...and the meaning is not always what I mean. But I do buy 303 by the gal. Use it on roof to leather seats. Just not concerned about keeping tires more than 6 yrs. Go well.

Proof reading from the reader's point of view is important.
"Let's eat Granma" vs "Let's eat, Granma"
A comma can save a life.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just purchased a Bounder that had Michelin 22.5 tires all around. On drive home we noticed a loud hum/howl at about 50 mph from the center hood area, between wheels.
It may be something else but the front tires are truck and rear are XRV.
BLE373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #66
SMB

GY offers a similar 22.5 tire to the RV model which is lower priced with the same 14 ply construction. They are a place anywhere tire, steer or rear. I replaced my steers this spring with Goodyear 661's which have delivered a smooth ride and good handling during my 6K mile high temp and mountain run this summer. List was $351 ++.
I would highly recommend them for any placement you might need.

Footnote: I do not recommend use of the glass balancing beads without putting filters in the valve stems.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #67

We have the same tires as Ray, IN - Sailun S637 truck tires. No complaints and a smooth ride. Good tires. Worth considering.