Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
We bought a 2004 Coachmen Mirade last May with about 17,000 miles, after driving it home to Saskatchewan and using it last summer the mileage was up to 25,000 or so but I assumed that the tires which look like new were fine. One rear had some checks and I had our Goodyear look it over and he said it was just cosmetic. The first inside dual blew in a dramatic explosive way close to and exit on i90 in south Dakota. After looking over what was left I limped off the exit and into a truck stop wher after about four hours the put the spare, which had never been on the vehicle on and mounted a new tire on as the spare.

About five days later on a rural highway in Minnesota the other inside dual exploded. At 20mph I limped into Henderson Minnesota to Town & Country tire where I got outstanding service. They moved the new tire from the spare location then gave the rest a going over. The former spare and the outside dual with the checks were both condemned. I got three tires from "bob" and we set off for home.

New tires will go on the front Monday and the whole set of 2004 rubber replaced.

The explosive for se of either of those rear duals had been on the front there is no way I could have prevented the destruction of the vehicle.

The new tires are beyond value, if it saves your life and the lives of those aboard let alone prevents crashing the unit.

Thanks to Town & Country Tire in Henderson Minnesota.

Cgmub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
please take these fear mongering posts about michelin and blows outs with a grain of salt.
Tires dont just blow. Michelin has put their recommendations in print... not floating on the web or through rumor.
Yet you get folks that have NEVER spent a dime on RV tires saying replace every 5yrs.

WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
I'm about to replace our original Michelin tires. They are nearly 10 years old, and have been meticulusly (sp) maintanied. They still look perfect on the outside, have 48000 miles on them, and drive as well as they did new. I will be replacing them with Toyos. They come highly recommended by several of our friends who have been running them for years on their coaches. Price and availability were the deciding factors. On all of our coaches we have never had a blow out from a Mchelin tire. Te only blowout we have ever had was from a General tire, but I think the problem was caused by one of those valve extenders.
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
We bought our '06 gas class A last November, the tires were original 05 date codes with only 10k miles on them. After in depth discussion with my Goodyear wholesale buddy, and thorough inspection we decided that they could be run longer. Keep in mind that these tires showed no flaw anywhere on the outside. In May on the second day of a ten day trip, at 60 mph on US60 in southern Missouri, the left front tire blew without warning. I was able to slow safely and get over. The road service guy determined that a road hazard gouged the tire and caused the failure(a 2 inch diameter hole on the inside side wall) but obviously we were by then gun shy and followed him back to their store and replaced the other five tires. Being on the road, I didn't have the opportunity to shop for the best price but felt that the dealer gave us a fair deal and the service was exceptional. Cabool Tire in Cabool, Misouri..
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by lwestbro View Post
OK, let me ask a stupid question. Where can you by RV tires from and have them installed? Don't guess you can just run up to Discount Tire or NTB....
Check with any reputable truck tire dealer. Here in Pensacola it's Dave Howell Tire. Camping World should also be able to handle it, but personally I'm leary of CW service. I believe they carry the Goodyear brand.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote