Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

RV tires

Has anyone compared Yokohoma tires to Michellin?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
They are both round and black. The Yokos are good tires, walk through any truck stop and you'll see a lot of them. Michelin are good, EXPENSIVE tires that perhaps give softer ride. Many report a sidewall checking on Michelins. Neither tire will probably wear out, they'll time out first.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
They are both round and black...
roflmo... has anyone seen a square tire? oh, wait, somebody said before some chinese tires are not round... duh, making sense

op didn't specify what kind of rig he has, so we don't know the weight requirement. for lighter rvs, yokos should be good enough, but for heavy class a, mine is one, it does not have the weight rating adequate. the same goes to toyo. before i put bridgestone on, i checked most of the brands, some are not qualified (cc had a recall on toyo tires they put 'em on as oem).
Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
op didn't specify what kind of rig he has, so we don't know the weight requirement. for lighter rvs, yokos should be good enough, but for heavy class a, mine is one, it does not have the weight rating adequate.
I guess I don't understand that comment. Yoko makes tires all the way up to 315/80R22.5 and load ranges up to "H". There may be a few coaches that use bigger tires than that, but not many.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I guess I don't understand that comment. Yoko makes tires all the way up to 315/80R22.5 and load ranges up to "H". There may be a few coaches that use bigger tires than that, but not many.
the rating of "H" in my understanding is corresponding to how many plies a tire is using, for example 16, which may relate to "max load" but is not necessary to be the same as "max load". this number can be found on tire side wall. for my size 12r22.5, when i was to change my tires two years ago, i found the numbers on both toyo and yoko are significantly lower than that on bridgestone and bfgoodrich. i stayed with bridgestone because of that.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
the rating of "H" in my understanding is corresponding to how many plies a tire is using, for example 16, which may relate to "max load" but is not necessary to be the same as "max load". this number can be found on tire side wall. for my size 12r22.5, when i was to change my tires two years ago, i found the numbers on both toyo and yoko are significantly lower than that on bridgestone and bfgoodrich. i stayed with bridgestone because of that.

The load ratings are a shorthand way to describe a tires capacity. The ply rating is a throw back to the 1950s. A modern all steel commercial truck tire is constructed with one sidewall ply and 4-5 tread plies no matter if it's a Michelin or Yokohama. The tire companies build their tires with certain types of commercial service in mind. The load ratings reflect those design choices. There are no secrets of tire design just compromises.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldviator View Post
Has anyone compared Yokohoma tires to Michellin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Many report a sidewall checking on Michelins. Neither tire will probably wear out, they'll time out first.
geraldviator
Search iRV2 for "sidewall cracking".... you will be surprised by what you will learn about Michelins.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #8

I put yokohamas on my coach last June. I put yokohamas on coach in 2004 and used them for 10 years and no troubles, so replaced with same and sold the old tires.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I just put 6 Yokohama 255/70R 22.5s on my Safari. They were about half the price of the Michelins. Replaced 10 year old Goodyear 9R22.5s.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #10

As someone pointed out to me in a different tire thread, Michelin does not make a MH specific tire, they are truck tires recommended for use on a MH. For a very detailed article about tires, read: MECHANICS OF PNEUMATIC TIRES
and you learn the difference.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
As someone pointed out to me in a different tire thread, Michelin does not make a MH specific tire, they are truck tires recommended for use on a MH. For a very detailed article about tires, read: MECHANICS OF PNEUMATIC TIRES
and you learn the difference.

Michelin makes one tire, the XRV, that they market as an RV specific tire. Goodyear makes the G670 which is marketed the same. Both of these tire lines are built in a fairly limited range of sizes. Other than these two tire lines the rest that are used on RVs are built as all position designs. The biggest thing to remember is to make sure you are using a correct size and load range to carry your weight.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #12

Thanks Steve, that guy was obviously wrong; but it is listed under Michelin Truck tires.
Oddly, that tread design looks almost exactly like the Goodyear G670 MH tire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The biggest thing to remember is to make sure you are using a correct size and load range to carry your weight.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

Bought Yokos for the rear 29575r22.5 back in August and they have been great. Would have put them on front but they dont hold enough weight in singles for my rig. I need 29580s for the front and I cant locate them...

speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires