Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Mike if ya wanted that kind of a deal ya shoulda came to Philly.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
One thing to be cafeful of here:

Yesterday I recieved a call and they told me that my tires were in.

That's great! I said, "What are the DOT date codes.", Well the guy responds that I have 2 - 0407s and 4- 4606s.

The guy said you can have these now or it'll take me 2 to 3 weeks to get a matched set. Since my tires don't expire until "4307" I guess I can wait for a matched set.

I also suggested that he get me a set of tires that are dated xx07 if at all possible since he has already shown me that "04"07s were available. The guy I spoke with responded that he completely understood my position and he would get in a matched set (6) as soon as possible.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Mike Is your dealer local to your address, sounds like a decent guy. Will he fill with nitrogen?

See you in a few weeks
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by depchief:
Will he fill with nitrogen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>CW doesn't have Nitrogen that I know of.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
We pay pretty good money for our MH's. It amazes me that some people would consider a 10 year old tire to be "ok". I know "Michelin" says so. That is why they have a 5 year warranty, 7 years on some limited medium truck tires. IMHO six years is old enough, especially when out vehicles tend to sit more than a car tire. We, me too, think nothing of adding the latest gizzmo to out rolling homes. But when it comes to tires we want to push the envelope...no pun intended. We are riding 20K pounds plus on contact patches that are much smaller than 6 pieces of 8.5x11 paper. Those six tires do a lot of work.

Replace them in a timely fashion, don't be cheap ! The life you save might be mine

Michelin makes a fine tire. Almost ALL failures are a result of impact, overload, or under inflation i.e. abuse!

DriVer those dot dates are only 10 weeks apart. I like to have all the same dates too, only because I can walk out to my warehouse and find them.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #20

I have a question about nitrogen....
I am assuming that once you fill the tires with nitrogen, you must only add nitrogen, when adjusting pressure. Is this true? Or do you add regular air to supplement? How hard is it to find places to add nitrogen?

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
JudyandJim,
I had never thought about nitrogen until 2004 when I went to costco and had new tires installed. The only reason I think would be good is that nitro is not full of water. It goes in dry. Most of the tire places are using air which is usually wet coming out of the fill device. I would think that this becomes even more of an issue when using beads for balancing.
As for using air following the initial fill, I did even though costco would recheck and refill any time I wanted to drive up there.(8 Miles)
Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #22

I just went through the task of researching the best tires for my 99 newmar dutch star 34' same size as you 245/70/19.5 load range f

I have been in the automotive business since 1978 performing full repair and tire service

I have always liked Michelin like you

The Goodyear grv670 have the latest in sidewall and ozone protection, and do not even recomend to cover

I contacted several well regarded motorhome chassis shops and they feel the Goodyears are the prefered in handling and ride

The Michelin XRV tires I put on my father in laws 89 p30 winnebago 30' size 225/70/19.5 are showing a fair amount of weather cracking and are only a little over 5 years old and always are covered on his sideyard

I went with the Goodyear GR670rv and I am very happy with them
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 AM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cartex1:
The Michelin XRV tires I put on my father in laws 89 p30 winnebago 30' size 225/70/19.5 are showing a fair amount of weather cracking and are only a little over 5 years old and always are covered on his sideyard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now here's a new perspective. RV tires mostly sit still. Tires that sit still are more likely to crack than those that are routinely run on at minimum a monthly basis for several hundred miles - covered or not. Assuring proper inflation and excersise adds to the longevity of an RV tire. Excluding normal wear do you think this is a true statement? Yes or No?

My tires have over 53K miles and show no signs of cracking. The rubber compounds used on the XRV are highly sun resistive and I would feel comfortable saying that the rubber formulation for RV use is as good as any.

I just received a set of "Prompt" tire covers. They are the easiest covers to put up, just position the cover and apply using 4 suction cups.

I think I will be more inclided to use the covers on my new tires whenever they get installed.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #24

Thanks for all the information everybody.

We picked up the RV yesterday, BTW. We're excited!

I'm going with the Michelins. It looks like both the Michelins and Goodyears are good tires, and Costco has Michelins for several hundred dollars less than anybody else has either Michelins or Goodyears.

Thanks again,

Hack
--//--
Old 02-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, that was my experience also. Glad to hear you are getting a good price. Make sure they put metal stems in. They tried to do mine with rubber auto stems instead of the truck stems.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #26

Hack, does CostCo order in the RV tires? Can they handle all sizes? I recently put new GY G670RVs on my Monaco Diplomat, but for future reference thought I'd ask.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Bigred1,
The Costco here had to order in the 19.5 tires for my old bounder. They also had to call another store to find out if their equipment could handle the 19.5 tires. I think mine was their first at the sunrise location here in Sacramento.
Since you are running 22.5" tires, (me too now), I wouldn't count on them being able to handle them. Call first.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
SacsTC,
Was your Costco experience one which would have you going back for another purchase? How were the tires balanced? How many miles do you have on the tires since being installed?
thanks,

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote