Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #1

Hi all.

After a lot of research and searching, we are finally getting our retirement motorhome - a 1999 Bounder 34V.

All but one tire appear to be originals and that one is only about a year newer. The coach only has 24,000 miles on it and the tires "look" great. That old, though, I understand they should be replaced.

I am trying to choose between Goodyear and Michelin (245/70R19.5). On my cars and trucks I have been faithfull to Michelin and have always gotten great service and miliage. I understand that some people have had problems with Michelin RV tires. Should this be an issues in which tires I choose, or is this out of date or an urban legend.

What about dealers? Big O? Discount Tire?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #2

Hi all.

After a lot of research and searching, we are finally getting our retirement motorhome - a 1999 Bounder 34V.

All but one tire appear to be originals and that one is only about a year newer. The coach only has 24,000 miles on it and the tires "look" great. That old, though, I understand they should be replaced.

I am trying to choose between Goodyear and Michelin (245/70R19.5). On my cars and trucks I have been faithfull to Michelin and have always gotten great service and miliage. I understand that some people have had problems with Michelin RV tires. Should this be an issues in which tires I choose, or is this out of date or an urban legend.

What about dealers? Big O? Discount Tire?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the Michelins on my Bounder with Michelins. My original tires were 11 years old and had no problems with them. Yes, I know, don't flame me for old tires please. Got them from costco for less than Discount Tires. Mounted, balanced, and nitrogen filled
Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I've had Michelin tires on my coaches since 1978. Manufacturer problems have been minimal and handled to my satisfaction. I will buy Michelin again. Michelin has recently (sometime in 2006) gone to a 10 year recommended replacement life on new tires. This is on the condition tread and sidewalls are in good shape. The recommendation is in writing in a Michelin publication. Search this forum for a post under my ID and Michelin for the topic. This should bring up the post with the booklet part number you can order, that has the recommendation in writing.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The only problem I know of with a Michelin is that you can forget about the warranty. I've never heard of anyone successfully getting a warranty adjustment from Michelin on a failed motorhome tire - they always say it was improperly inflated. And how do you prove it wasn't? In fairness to Michelin, odds are they are right, but it is not reasonable to believe 100% of the time.

Michelin RV tires probably have the longest wear (mileage) life of any, though the ride may be a bit harsher than some other models. Michelin deigns their rubber for very long wear and Michelin's RV specific tires (e.g. the XRV) are also designed to as long a calendar age as possible.

So the short answer is, I would not be afraid of purchasing a Michelin. On the other hand, I would give the Goodyear RV tires strong consideration too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just purchased a set of 6 Michelin 235-80R22.5 XRV tires. My current tires are expiring and the new ones I am told have a life expectancy of 10 Years, so I'm glad about that.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary,
From one Gary to another, now you know a person who has received not only one, but several (I think three, it's been a long time with Michelin) warranty adjustments from Michelin. Per all of my previous posts Michelin has replaced each tire (one time it was two tires). Michelin does not walk on water. Their warranty process is cumbersome and anal. However, once I complete the process, they have honored their warranty.

On edit, there are a couple of things a person can do to minimize the frustration and receive a warranty adjustment.
1. As soon as a customer determines the tire might be the problem, call Michelin and have a case number assigned. This stops the "clock".
2. Michelin will ask you to do tasks:
2a get a certified weight for each wheel
2b. go to their authorized Michelin truck tire center near to wherever you are
It is important you do these tasks immediately. Make an appointment and make sure the manager will be there. When at the authorized Michelin tire truck tire center introduce yourself to the manager and ensure he/she understands your symptons before the crew gets their hands on the tire(s). Make sure the manager knows you have talked to Michelin, have a case number and you were instructed to see him to eliminate the sympton. The manager may have special instructions for his crew. Watch the events as they unfold. Understand how the tech checks the problem against your complaint and how he is determining his findings.

The single time one of my complaints was drawn out for a length of time was when a tire would not hold air. It would loose about a pound a week. The tire techs and manager could find no leaks. New valve stem/associated hardware, remount and balance, nothing helped. Since I need to add air only once or twice a year, this was irritating. Finally I asked the manager to see if Michelin would allow me to pay for and install a new tire. If the new tier lost air, then I agree it is not the tire and to look elsewhere. If the new tire did not loose air the manager would refund the $s I paid. We chose a time when the coach would not be used for 6 weeks. A new tire was installed and I left the coach locked in their fenced and guarded lot. I checked on the coach a couple of times a week, never going near the tires, just making sure everything was okay. After one month, the manager, his tech and I checked the air pressure. It was the same as when the tire had been installed. I was refunded my $s and remain a loyal Michelin customer. What bothers me the most is I will never know why the tire was leaking. Was this the first sign of a blowout? Would it have gotten worse or fixed itself? It would be nice to know, for future reference.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can anyone tell me what year did Michelin start with the 10 year tire warrenty? Is it just now with the 2007 tires or am I lucky enough that they started with the 2005 tires?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #9

I do not believe Michelin has come out with a 10 year warranty. They have come out with a recommendation to replace RV tires at the 10 year time mark.

I have only read this recommendation recently.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While at Woodsmoke CG in Ft.Myers last wk.I talked to a gent that had a Gooodyear blow out
over the labor day holiday. As the story goes the tires were 4yr. old with 40K miles on them.
And while roundig a left hand curve at 50 or so the right front tire blew and lodged
between the rim and the supension, locking the steering ..Up and over the guard rail and
throwing him out the windshild and into the water. (no seatbelt) The coach stopped with
the bottom of windshild in the water, and listing about 45deg. And his wife could not
exit the coach till help arrived. He did say the Honda Odessy did flip and was on it roof.

He said that he ran alot of large trucks in his business and thought that MAYBE they just
sat too long between run time, and the tires had not been run enough to get the waxes to
the surface. All other tires were good with no sign of cracking. And he chalked it up to
do-do happens

He had a NEW coach from Lazy Dazs and was pulling a new Honda Odessy. Not a good word
about L-D, as the coach was 9days and a stop payment, AFTER the deal was sealed!!!
And he rode out with a broken windshield!!!!TENN.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Tenn-Vol, did ya buy that poor guy a drink, holy mackarel. He has worse luck then our poor Ole Bob.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
Can anyone tell me what year did Michelin start with the 10 year tire warranty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I spoke w/ Michelin today and they said that they have a "Five" year warranty not a ten.

Between the 5th year to 10th year one should inspect their tires for cracking and other abnormal conditions to the sidewall and tread.

The ten year mark is the recommended tire change interval. The rep at Michelin said that within 10 years you should have made plans to change your tires so budgeting savings toward that goal would be a good thing.

I was initially misunderstanding the 10 year claim about Michelin XRV tires but there is no difference I am told in the formulation over the years.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have a question for you, Driver. Why did you change your tires at the 4 year mark?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
I have a question for you, Driver. Why did you change your tires at the 4 year mark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My tires are DOT coded "02" and they would be out of warranty during the 32nd week.

An excellent price point presented itself which I felt I couldn't pass up. They fell off of a truck! No they didn't BUT we did shop and I managed to save just about a grand from my first price quote.