Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

If you are anywhere close to S.E. Alabama I got a price for 6 mounted and balanced Michelins 235-80R-22.5 XRV for $2900.00. If interested I can give you the name and phone number.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroberts View Post
If you are anywhere close to S.E. Alabama I got a price for 6 mounted and balanced Michelins 235-80R-22.5 XRV for $2900.00. If interested I can give you the name and phone number.
That is a good price: I'm looking at an invoice for Michelins 255-80R-22.5 XRV from Redburn Tire Company in Mesa, AZ: $3121.27 includes 6 tires, dismount and mount, tire balance, stems, duel seal caps and environmental fee. Date: 6/10/2009.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Hi What does the date 6/10/2009 mean is that when you purchased the tires?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #18

I just pulled off a set of this very same tire from our 05 Newmar Kountry Star. We bought the MH in Sept. of 11 from a dealer and I wanted a new set of tires in the deal. I said a good brand of tires and they installed the Sailum S 637. So when we pickup up the MH I didn't stop the deal, but was concerned. We have drove about 8000 miles with no problem but the more I read about tires and talked to people the more concerned I became. I talked to a local dealer that sells the Salium tires for his thoughts and he said they never installed them on the front steer axle only rear of trucks. That the Salium was not rated for a steer axle. Every time our HM is on the road my wife and alot of the grand kids are with me. I finally installed a set of Michelins for $4000.00 this included new stems and balance all 6 tires and wheels. It rides and drives alot nicer.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
It's not a perfect world and even an American made tire can fail. I just had a Toyo (yes, made in USA) fail on my Dodge dually with only 6,000 miles.

All that being said there's no way Chinese tires are going on any of my vehicles.

I owned a utility trailer mfg. business for 26 years and saw MANY Chinese tires fail with extremely low miles. I hate to admit it but I even used them on my own trailers until about 6-7 years ago.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #20

I used Sailun tires on commercial trucks for many years, with multiple recaps on each tire. They held up as good as any "know" tire brand I previously used. I have also used them on my RV's with great success. Most don't remember but back in the early late 80's and early 90's there was the same attude of "cheap junk" being imported at the time from Asian companies. The looked down upon companies where names like Sumitomo, Toyo, Yokohama, etc...

The parent company to Sailun (which I believe is a State owned company) has been making commercial truck tires since 1985'ish, and sold in America since 2005'ish (going off memory,). They have a proven track record, one that is very hard for any "know" tire manufactures to discredit when a trucking business asks "why should I pay more for your tire?"

As some have said, the "known" tire manufactures are now offering lines of commercial tires to compete with the likes of the Asian and Chinese imports. You can get a "big name" tire for about $50.00 per tire more than the Sailun, that are made in China, , or Korea, or Vietnam..... But to get their "good" tire your looking at a lot more than a $50.00 difference.

An example is Goodyear's G661 HSA selling for around $440.00 each (mounted and balanced +/- $490.00) plus tax...... very compatible in every way to the Sailun, including region of manufacture. But if you want a "good" tire you will need to step up to Goodyear's G670 RV MRT line, which in your size is around $645.00 (mounted and balanced +/- $685.00)plus tax.

Sailun, out the door........$2800.00 your quote.
Goodyear G661 HSA........$2940.00 plus tax (at least F.E.T., plus any state/local taxes) my opinion is the tire is of the same quality, and region of manufacture.
Goodyear G670 RV MRT....$4110.00 plus tax. (F.E.T. plus state/local) The question non becomes weather you believe this type of tire is that much better than the Sailun S637 or Goodyear G661 for the differece in price. If you are buying 6 tires every 7-8 years, you can rationalize the added expense. If you are buying 6-10 a week, you buy the "cheap" Sailuns and test them side by side with the "known" tires and make an informed decision.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, that's when the tires were purchased. If you've noticed, tire prices have risen significantly because of the oil fiasco. Just wanted to inform you of what tire prices were four years ago compared to the price your able to get in Alabama!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #22

last Sept. put two new Goodyears on the front for $836.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
I used Sailun tires on commercial trucks for many years, with multiple recaps on each tire. They held up as good as any "know" tire brand I previously used. I have also used them on my RV's with great success. Most don't remember but back in the early late 80's and early 90's there was the same attude of "cheap junk" being imported at the time from Asian companies. The looked down upon companies where names like Sumitomo, Toyo, Yokohama, etc...

The parent company to Sailun (which I believe is a State owned company) has been making commercial truck tires since 1985'ish, and sold in America since 2005'ish (going off memory,). They have a proven track record, one that is very hard for any "know" tire manufactures to discredit when a trucking business asks "why should I pay more for your tire?"

As some have said, the "known" tire manufactures are now offering lines of commercial tires to compete with the likes of the Asian and Chinese imports. You can get a "big name" tire for about $50.00 per tire more than the Sailun, that are made in China, , or Korea, or Vietnam..... But to get their "good" tire your looking at a lot more than a $50.00 difference.

An example is Goodyear's G661 HSA selling for around $440.00 each (mounted and balanced +/- $490.00) plus tax...... very compatible in every way to the Sailun, including region of manufacture. But if you want a "good" tire you will need to step up to Goodyear's G670 RV MRT line, which in your size is around $645.00 (mounted and balanced +/- $685.00)plus tax.

Sailun, out the door........$2800.00 your quote.
Goodyear G661 HSA........$2940.00 plus tax (at least F.E.T., plus any state/local taxes) my opinion is the tire is of the same quality, and region of manufacture.
Goodyear G670 RV MRT....$4110.00 plus tax. (F.E.T. plus state/local) The question non becomes weather you believe this type of tire is that much better than the Sailun S637 or Goodyear G661 for the differece in price. If you are buying 6 tires every 7-8 years, you can rationalize the added expense. If you are buying 6-10 a week, you buy the "cheap" Sailuns and test them side by side with the "known" tires and make an informed decision.
Facts!

I like that...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
For that price you can get Toyo, Continental, Firestone, Goodrich, Kumho, Hankook, Yokoahoma, Sumitomo, all major brands with a known reputation and a good US dealer network (in case of warranty issues). I don't automatically condemn Chinese tires, but why gamble when you can get a known brand for the same price?
Just got 6 Toyos mounted and bead balanced for $2,500. Very nice tires and now I don't have to worry about the sidewall cracks that were developing on the 5 year old Michelins.

By the way I contacted a Michelin dealer and they wouldn't even look at the tires for possible warranty replacement. All of them are '08's and shouldn't have started cracking in 2012 IMHO.

Since the company wasn't willing to stand behind their product...well they won't get my business.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
Just got 6 Toyos mounted and bead balanced for $2,500. Very nice tires and now I don't have to worry about the sidewall cracks that were developing on the 5 year old Michelins.

By the way I contacted a Michelin dealer and they wouldn't even look at the tires for possible warranty replacement. All of them are '08's and shouldn't have started cracking in 2012 IMHO.

Since the company wasn't willing to stand behind their product...well they won't get my business.
What size tire did you get and if you don't mind me asking where did you purchase. Thx
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Man, the thought of putting on a tire made in China if I could at all avoid it even if it costed more money.... I have never bought tires from China and try to avoid buying anything made in China. Why?? think you can figure that out.
X-2 We eventually will have to think that way if we are to survive. Give a guy a job. Buy all you can with the "Made in the USA" logo.
Thanks
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #27

Tire Location

I got a price of $2900.00 at Road Mart in Dothan (AL) the number is
334-794-8521 ask for Gary

Jim Whaley also in Dothan(AL) $2915.00 Ask for John
Both are out the door mounted and balanced.

Jim Whaley is the local dealer that participates in the FMCA program.

If I can help anyone let me know.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock View Post
A local Truck tire dealer can get me 6 Chinese Sailun S 637 RV Tires 275/70R 22.5s for my Fleetwood DP balanced and installed for $2713.86. Wondering if anyone out there has had any of these? I understand that these are not Michelins or Goodyear. The tire also has the anti RV material. For that price very tempting.
I bought a set of Bridgestone tires the same size as yours for about $2850 installed from Miller Tire in Muncie, IN in October 2012; I don't have the receipt with me, it's with the MH in storage. Bridgestone is a Japanese company that also owns Firestone, mine were made in the USA.

Mike

Tags
tires