Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
I had a blowout on front driver's side two years ago in a Southwind. Tire was three old Goodyear but must have been under inflated. Now I replace every five years and check inflation before each trip! Just sayin'.

Blowout or more properly "Run Low Flex Failure" are the result of driving at highway speed on a leaking or very low (<50% range) tire. This is based on my forensic inspection of thousands of tire "failures".
Checking before each trip does nothing about warning you if/when you pick up a screw, nail or cut as you pull out of a campground or after a fuel stop.

Think of it this way
Do you have warning gauges on your dash for oil & water? Why? You can simply check before each trip so maybe you might consider removing those gauges

TPMS is just a "gauge" for your tires like the oil pressure, water temp and electric level gauge is on the dash.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Good Post

Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 PM   #31

For me it will depend on how much you drive the rv. If it sits most of the time then change them at 7 years if that is your preference. We drive our rv every month some where. This keeps all the chemicals mixed in the tire. I also check my pressures all the time. Many people do not drive their cars very much , but they don't change the tires until they reach the wear limits.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #32
JSW

I just changed out 8-year-old Goodyears with Hankook AH12 with xx15 date. My Goodyears had only about 25,000 miles but were "rivering" and had been rotated once. I got the 6 Hankooks for $2700 out the door and I'm loving them. I was afraid to set out with the 8-year-old tires and I feel much safe with new treads all around.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #33

What is "rivering" on tires?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:03 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my tires inspected along with the brakes and shocks before each and every trip by my tire dealer. I travel roads that may be far from the best out there and in some harsh weather conditions. While you may be able to get 80,000 miles wear out of a tire over a 10 year period why chance tire failure. Especially look for cracking, or checkering on the tire sidewalls. I don't run repaired tires. Punctured tires are replaced.

Tires for a motorhome aren't cheap, but they are one of the most important components. A tire malfunction is the last thing I want to happen at highway speeds. My last set survived 6 years before being replaced. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Tst tpms

Good Thread. Most people do check their tires regularly however if you happen to pick up a nail while driving, or you have heat issue such as a hanging caliper or hot bearing you will not know of the problem until it is too late. TPMS is my opinion is a device that will not only help you know what is going on with your tires at all times, but will also help you to extend tire life, save fuel when running the correct PSI all the time. It is also handy to be able to the look at the monitor and see your PSI in the morning and not have to go check each tire with a guage.
Mike Benson
TST
Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
What is "rivering" on tires?
Rivering or River wear is a cosmetic condition where one portion of a rib in the tread pattern wears faster than another.

If tires are inspected more frequently then this would be discovered earlier and can be lessened with tire rotation.
More likely on fronts.

Proper inflation for the actual load and worn suspension components may contribute to this condition. Some designs are more prone than others to get this type of wear pattern.
Vehicles with high center of gravity seem more prone to this condition.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Good Thread. Most people do check their tires regularly however if you happen to pick up a nail while driving, or you have heat issue such as a hanging caliper or hot bearing you will not know of the problem until it is too late. TPMS is my opinion is a device that will not only help you know what is going on with your tires at all times, but will also help you to extend tire life, save fuel when running the correct PSI all the time. It is also handy to be able to the look at the monitor and see your PSI in the morning and not have to go check each tire with a guage.
Mike Benson
TST
Good post.

One thing people don't think about is that checking with a gauge can result is slow leak from the valve core not seating properly

HERE is a post on why valves sometimes leak.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #38

I've been looking at some used MH recently and when I checked the tires for a date stamp I found the word "REGROOVABLE" and no date code. Is this something new? Should I steer clear of this type of tire?

opeltodd
Old 06-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeltodd View Post
I've been looking at some used MH recently and when I checked the tires for a date stamp I found the word "REGROOVABLE" and no date code. Is this something new? Should I steer clear of this type of tire?

opeltodd

Most commercial tires have that now. It's only important to recappers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #40

It sounded kind of important to me. How old are the tires and how many times have they been regrooved? These were on some older MHs and I would hate to purchase a MH and later find that I have to replace all of my tires.

opeltodd
Old 06-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
You may have bought them "about" 7 years ago, and they might have been sitting in the dealers warehouse for "about" a year or more.
Only way to know is to check the date code on each tire. If your not fimilar with it, the code will be a four numbers in a raised oval on the tire sidewall. And, Michelin usually only puts it on only one side. It will read something like 4208, which means it was manufactured in the 42nd week of 2008.
In your case, your pushing the limits of "safe" as to age. Dosen't matter at all about mileage, 500 or 50,000, or tread that's left, its the age that matters.
Grumpy
grumpy0374
I agree.

When Michelin Customer Care arranged for the replacement of my 6 then 3-1/2 year old sidewall cracked tires the replacements where also 3-1/2 years old.
When I complained about the age, Michelin told me that they are "allowed to sell tires that are up to 4 years old".

As you can probably tell I'm not real happy that I purchased Michelin tires back in 2011.
I never will again.... (would you)??

Mel
'96 Safari, on 6 "new" 4 year old tires.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #42

Yea grumpy0374, but you knew that they were 4 year old tires.
These had no date code on them at all. How are you supposed to know what you are buying?

Tags
tires