Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Michelin's web site suggests having your tires inspected by a dealer, once a year, starting when they're five years old. They go on to suggest that they be replaced by the age of ten years, no matter how they look. Other manufacturers also suggest the ten year limit, but don't mention any yearly inspections. Some tire shops won't repair a tire that's more than ten years old, no matter what vehicle it's on.
I took our Dutch Star to a reputable dealer here in the NW and asked them to inspect the tires. Kid looks at them and said: "Yep, they're cracked" and walked off. So much for Les Schwab's "inspection".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm not one of those "7 yr people" and actually a lot of others are the same. There is no "authoritative company that gives such a limit. Even the tire companies don't say that. They do say that older tires are subject to more failures though.
Everybody has to decide what their comfort level is and act accordingly.
You are absolutely correct. I, however, am one of those "7 yr people", but for a different reason. My local tire dealer hooked me up with a local trucking outfit that is happy to buy used RV tires, as long as they have a couple years left on them before they reach 10 years old. They'll pay me $75-$100 per tire that I can put toward a new set every 7 years. They get cheap tires with under 30,000 miles on them, and I get a new set of tires (discounted $400-$600) every 7 years.

I call it a Win-Win!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not one of those "7 yr people" and actually a lot of others are the same. There is no "authoritative company that gives such a limit. Even the tire companies don't say that. They do say that older tires are subject to more failures though.
Everybody has to decide what their comfort level is and act accordingly.
Kind of agree with Mr D. Apparently the tire life charts are determined based on being in an environment similar to Phoenix with very hot days. Testing is done in an oven at quite high temperatures and tested under quite strenuous loads.

The testing IMO determines the worst case scenario. Tire companies do not benefit from best case scenarios and could be civilly liable if they posted really optimistic results. Plus add in increased sales due to early/premature replacement.

While tires are expensive you have to consider what is riding on them. What is a couple thousand dollars compared to the value of yourself, your family, the coach and the people around you?

Recall recently there was an outfit in Scipio Utah where a service station attendent would walk by and say something to the effect that those tires on your unit look kind of "iffy". Then they would suggest you go over to a tire shop just across the parking lot and get a second opinion. Guess what the second opinion was? As I recall the commerce department or something like that charged them with a scam of some sort. Do not remember any outcome to the issue.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dot says 10 years on date codes. If your parked keep em covered and condition them with 303 protectant.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
**WOW!** You guys type fast!!
I thought I was the slowest at typing here in the forums.
Want to race.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I thought I was the slowest at typing here in the forums.
Want to race.
Maybe not. I'm not sure if it's my typin' or my thinkin' that's holdin' me back!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Maybe not. I'm not sure if it's my typin' or my thinkin' that's holdin' me back!
Just had to play the thinking card, didn't you.

EDIT: To the OP; didn't mean to hi-jack your post, just messing around.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #22

I had a blowout on front driver's side two years ago in a Southwind. Tire was three old Goodyear but must have been under inflated. Now I replace every five years and check inflation before each trip! Just sayin'.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #23

Discount tires will not touch a car tire after 7 years! Michelin (and only recent ones) claim the 10 years life. If you have anything else over 7 years, you are putting you and your family in harms way!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:31 AM   #24

Quote:
I took our Dutch Star to a reputable dealer here in the NW and asked them to inspect the tires. Kid looks at them and said: "Yep, they're cracked" and walked off. So much for Les Schwab's "inspection".
What were you expecting? I mean, it doesn't get all that much more scientific than that really. Nobody can tell you when that tire is going to fail. A TMPS insures inflation, but that is it. It can't tell you when it will catastrophically fail.

There is not a one size fits all rule on tires, but rather guidelines. The motorhome I purchased had the original tires on it.....15 years old. Looked perfect. I replaced them of course. But it can't be said they will fail at 10 years, nor that they won't fail at 3. there is just increasing probability.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #25

I had two tire failures, both on inside rear. The first time we didn't realize what it was, just heard a bad knocking (the tread separated). The second time I pulled off and checked the tire pressure--still 100 psi, but thread separated. TPMS doesn't tell you if tread separates. Got a temporary tire at the next exit, and replaced all six with Michelins when we got home.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Peralko;2610370]I had two tire failures, both on inside rear. The first time we didn't realize what it was, just heard a bad knocking (the tread separated). The second time I pulled off and checked the tire pressure--still 100 psi, but thread separated. TPMS doesn't tell you if tread separates. Got a temporary tire at the next exit, and replaced all six with Michelins when we got home.[/
Did you have a TPMS?
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Old Michelin tires

I ran my Michelin XZEs 13 years. Just recently put on new tires. The Michelins had just begun to show some really light cracking under the real fine print on the tire side walls. One advantage that I had was to be able to store the coach indoors . Then it set on low wood ramps with galvanized sheet metal between the tires and the wood. The shop floor is concrete. Moisture from the ground was not allowed to reach the tires due to the sheet metal.

That is more important than blocking the sun, although given enough time and exposure the sun is not your friend either when it comes to your tires.

I don't recommend that everyone keep their tires that long. That is up to the individual. I did keep a close eye on mine doing all the things recommended to properly care for them. They were hard to change out as they still looked like new with 3/4 of the tread on them. I felt that after 13 years they didn't owe me anything.

Parking on dirt, gravel, wood, concrete without a moisture barrier of metal or plastic will subject tires to dry rot from the moisture out of the ground.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #28

What type of ballancing....Static with bags of Dynamic?
rml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires